D&D 5E Paring the skill list

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Actually, I think the play test blog posts along with the completely new skill die mechanic indicate that they are definitely open to revamping the skill system. There's never been a skill die before. There weren't non-thief skills (those were percentile based) in AD&D prior to the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide bringing in the Non-weapon Proficiency. 2nd Edition handled things differently than 3.X, and 4E handled it differently than that. OD&D had only raw Ability checks. Basically, the Status Quo of skill systems hasn't ever survived any full iteration of an edition cycle, so there is no historical status quo to honor.

This may be so, but it doesn't relate to my point. Introducing FATE-like aspects would be a new way of thinking about skills (or whatever they choose to call them), and that is not a change I think will change.

The skill die, which you mention, introduces a variable bonus rather than a static bonus, but does not change the way skills are imagined to work, or the categories they embrace, when compared with 3.X or 4.0. That has been consistent, and is unlikely to change, in my opinion.

I think Q&A #3 also emphasizes that their skill-type system design is angling away from being defined the same way as in the past editions:

http://community.wizards.com/dndnex...next_qa:_racial_stats,_expertise_dice__skills

Thanks for this link. I read this as a question of terminology, not an actual engagement with the nature of skills.

One significant change that we do see here (and which I like) is getting free of class-skills. The backgrounds do represent a real advance, and it's one I'm pleased to see there.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
If you want to pare down the skill list, get rid of skills. Add your bonus (die) when your background would be relevant to your action.

Mechanically it's the same: the DM still decides when you get to add your bonus (die). Differences: you have less to track on your character sheet and you can't use "rules-speak" at the table - you can't say "I use Diplomacy", you'd have to be more specific about your PC's action in the game world.

I think this is the best way to do it for most "skills", plus it makes adding new backgrounds as simple as writing a paragraph or two. I think this gets a little problematic within the context of D&D for things that involve actions or Rogues, presumably we'd have more specific information about "class"-scheme skills.

Honestly, though, I'd like to combine this with [MENTION=50304]mlund[/MENTION] 's idea in post #4.

Remove ads