• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Partial actions and readying

Spove

First Post
Can you ready an action as a partial action?

Bok is hasted, he runs across the room and attacks and subsequently kills the orc. For his haste granted partial action can he ready a partial charge. (Or any other partial action)

The PHB lists readying as a standard action. A partial action is a standard action without the move. It sounds clear but some how it just sounds fishy.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
He can make a partial charge with the extra partial action, but he cannot take the ready action unless he uses a standard action. A partial action is not the same thing as a standard action, although functionally they are similar.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
You can ready an action as a partial action. Now, charging as a readied action is a whole nuther can o'worms (as in, you might be able do it, but you better not change direction!).

Here are some fun quotes from the SRD:
Haste
On his turn, the subject may take an extra partial action,
either before or after his regular action.
Partial Action
As a general rule, a combatant
can do as much with a partial action as a combatant could with a
standard action minus a move. Typically, a combatant may take a
5-foot step as part of a partial action.

Ready [Standard][AoO: No]
Description: The ready action lets a combatant
prepare to take an action later, after a combatant's turn is over
but before a combatant's next one has begun. Readying is a
standard action, so a combatant can move as well. It does not
provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that a
combatant readies might do so).

Ristamar

Adventurer
I disagree with Dr. Zoom. You can ready an action with a partial action, you just don't get a move (though you can take a 5' step, if applicable). You can perform standard actions, just no movement with a standard action.

In regards to the partial charge in your specific scenario, it's generally not legal, even when hasted. All movement during the round must be in a straight line (and in the same direction) for a charge, even a partial charge.

Here's the supporting evidence...

From the D&D FAQ:
Is it possible to prepare a partial charge, move, turn, and then execute the charge? Do I get a 5-foot step in between my move and my charge? Can I squeeze an extra 5 feet of movement out of each round by moving as a partial action, then taking a 5-foot step and attacking as a partial action?

No in all cases. When you charge, all your movement must be in a straight line (and in the same direction); any movement you make before a partial charge counts against you. You don't get a move-equivalent action plus a partial action as your turn. You get either a standard action (which does not allow a 5-foot step), a full-move action (which allows a 5-foot step if the action itself doesn't include movement), or a partial action (which also allows a 5-foot step if the action doesn't include movement).

The FAQ also mentions readying partial charges in various examples.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
You all may be right. It seems to make sense. I will have to re-read and see if/where I made my mistake. :D

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
* Ready is listed as a miscellaneous standard action in Table 8-4 (PH p. 128).
* One of the partial action options in Table 8-3 (PH p. 127) is "Miscellaneous Partial Actions**", whose note reads: "** Those actions on Table 8-4: Miscellaneous Actions defined as standard or move-equivalent actions..."

Therefore, yes, you can ready with a partial action.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Thanks dcollins. I was just looking at those tables and noticed the same thing. Chalk this up to a rule I did not notice before. :cool:

Remove ads