• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Particulars about becoming a "Chosen"

Alright,

Maybe I am just blind but after going through the FR book recently I realized I only saw one entry about special abilities given to chosen. Did I miss it?

If not can anyone direct me to a good source of info about what is entailed about being a chosen of... well any god really, and how does the god make that decision. Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Dark Psion

First Post
Complicated subject, at first just the seven sisters were chosen and their mother was possesed by Mystra to create them as chosen. Then it was revealed the Elminster & Khelben were chosen as well, but this time it was granted to them. We know Elminster followed an unusual path of immortality, starting out as a Fighter, becoming a Rogue, changed into a woman and became a priestess of Mystra then finally becoming a wizard. Also, in the novel Shadows of Doom, The Knight of Myth Dranor Sharantyr is ressurrected with Spellfire and Elminster says her firstborn will be chosen.
At this point all of the chosen revolved around Mystra, including a failed chosen Sammaster who founded the Cult of the Dragon, but in 3rd edition we now have a chosen of Bane and Cadderly from the Cleric Quintet novels is obviously the chosen of Denir. So apparently any god can have chosen if they wish.

The basics of a chosen are on page 247 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. They are; +10 to Constitution, Bonus Spells: 1 each level that can be cast at will, Spell immunity: 1 spell each level they are immune to, Immune to aging , disease, disintegration and poison, and do not need to sleep. The Silver Fire seems to be unique to Mystra's chosen. The chosen of other gods would have something from that god's portfolio, a chosen of Selune for example might be able to take any lycanthropic shape during the three nights of the full moon.

The lowest level Chosen I've seen is Fzoul Chembryl, the Chosen of Bane. "Only" 19th-level. There was a former Chosen of Gilgeam (Sp?) in the FRCS who was a 20th-level fighter, as well as low-level mage and rogue.
I do know that Fzoul had to craft an intelligent weapon to become the Chosen of Bane.
Deities normally choose only the best to be their Chosen. Mystra made the offer to two of her daughters and to Elminster; Qilue Veladorn was basically born a Chosen.
You can use whatever reasoning you want in your own campaign.
Note that Chosen Templates aren't really worth +4 CR. Sure, giving Elminster +10 Con is cool, and making him immune to disintegrate is cool, but otherwise a 25th-level mage could do all the things Elminster could anyway.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
There aren't any official rules for chosen yet. Probably in the Deity's and Demigods book I bet. For a start, you could check out the magister class in Magic of Faerun. It is very similar to the chosen abilities and might serve to inspire.

Remove ads