• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Parting Gifts: Ch 1 - Dusk - IC

kinem

Adventurer
Uncomfortably, the half-orc says "Uh, well, I'm no murderer is all. Use your magic to check that."

When Haesellekh probes his mind, she recieves the answer telepathically.

I went to the human shops with some buddies and looted some food and silverware. When the mob chased us we ran. That's it.

Voidrazor

First Post
Haessellekh continues her probe. Do you know anyone who commited murder during the evacuation? and What are the names of the other looters?

kinem

Adventurer
The half-orc, uncomfortable, makes his mental reply.

No.

The looters included Thod, Bronko, Chad, and Krunk. Many others I don't know the names of or don't know if they looted.

Jemal

Adventurer
while Haessellekh questions the half-orc, Kurina will accompany the fallen to the temple. She has had many friends die in her long life, but it never gets easier.

Voidrazor

First Post
kinem said:
The half-orc, uncomfortable, makes his mental reply.

No.

The looters included Thod, Bronko, Chad, and Krunk. Many others I don't know the names of or don't know if they looted.
A sad, disgusted and, moreover, ill at ease look crawls across Haessellekh's features. What other crimes have you commited or witnessed the commission of?

kinem

Adventurer
The half-orc's mental reply to the fairly general question is Thefts mostly. Too many to remember all of 'em. Killed a goblin but I think self defense is legal. I've mugged humans twice. I've been robbed myself. Did some drugs, but not sure if that's legal or not. And speaking ill of the government, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zach accompanies Kurina and the others to the Temple of Cuthbert. The walk seems to take about half an hour.

The temple is an imposing marble structure in the shape of a hexagon, very orderly and quiet. Some priests come out to greet the group, and the help carry the bodies inside and they are laid out carefully. High Priest Porter is not immediately to be found, but in a few minutes he does come.

"Cuthbert be with you. Thank you for defending the city" he says. "I am deeply sorry for these losses, and will do what I can. Tell me, just how did these brave men die?"

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Kurina recounts the tale of the last few minutes of each life.. Fred, Yolo, and Grandfather.. to the best of her recollection, looking to Zach if she cannot recall something.
"The city is safe for now, but the one who killed them may return. I believe those of us who are left will have to hunt him down to ensure the safety of the citizens still here."

kinem

Adventurer
High Priest Porter listens carefully to Kurina's story, his white cap bobbing as he nods at various points.

"I see. Thank Cuthbert you prevailed.

Because of the way they died, I am sad to say that I can do nothing for Foster, or for Grandfather. Zach, you said that Hallowberry died before the deadly wail. Are you certain?"

Zach says "He must have cast a spell to protect me at cost to himself. I felt it."

Father Porter says "Then I may be able to help. I will attempt to raise Hallowberry from the dead. Even if it works, he will forever be a bit weaker than before, but not much. This I will do unless you have any objections. If you know of some other means to get him back say so now, because very powerful magic might be able to bring him back without weakening him. And once we have him back, he may be powerful enough to help the others.

Raising the dead is not easy and requires costly materials, so unfortunately I could not do so for the many victims of the monsters or the riots.

In the meantime, you may recieve what healing you need, and bathe to wash yourselves from the battle."

Voidrazor

First Post
Haessellekh releases the power, but places a hand on the half-orc's shoulder, gently for now but ready to tighten if he should try to escape. "This man is no murderer, but he did participate in the looting. Bron, I will see to it that he is not harmed while being brought into custody, and I will advise some measure of mercy. But he will come with me."

OOC: Who would he normally be brought to?

kinem

Adventurer
The accused half-orc hangs his head in resignation.

The human accuser angrily says "That's not right. I'm sure I saw him at the murder scene! You're just trying to let him off easy."

(ooc: There are City Guard stations at various places in the city, where a prisoner could be handed over to city custody. The nearest is about half a mile away, and basically serves as a large police station for the half-orc ghetto, where the Guard is rather unpopular. The next closest would be a couple of miles away. A few of the larger temples, such as Cuthbert's, are also authorized to hold prisoners because temple grounds are considered to be under divine sovereignity.)

Remove ads