D&D 5E Parts of the game that get a lot of hate but you love

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I have to echo many of the already-mentioned bits: attunement limit, concentration, wild magic, the berserker barbarbarian, the release schedule, third party material.

I also get to add a couple yet to be mentioned specifically: What CR means in this edition, the Ranger class straight out of the PHB, beastmaster and all, and how high level characters don't necessarily have a great chance to pass every kind of saving throw they come up against, but do have numerous ways to mitigate the effects of failing a saving throw, plus failing a saving throw just isn't as bad in general as it used to be so there is kind of a best of both worlds thing going on - bad things do happen to high-level characters, they just aren't severely bad things.

And a special mention: That the game doesn't have a mechanical means of trying to get players to have their PCs behave in some way other than the "5 minute work-day", so there is nothing agitating for my players to keep track of while playing their characters the way they naturally want to (as people that have goals they wish to accomplish, so they actually use their time to work toward those goals at a reasonable pace, rather than taking lengthy breaks after any noteworthy activity).

I was all set to say 'nothing' (because, really, compared to the last 2 editions, 5e gets very little 'hate' at all), but, yes, Concentration, virtually the last arguably-meaningful limitation left on neo-Vancian casters, does deserve the nod. Thanks for pointing that out. Also: Attunement, for me it's a nostalgic-for-RuneQuest mechanic, but I still think it's a good mechanic for 5e, irrespective of that - though it gets very little 'hate,' you do hear people wanting to do away with it, a lone tenuous check on 5e's return to 'just better' magic items, as well.

In many ways I think 5E would be a better game if all magic items across the board required attunement. (Of course, as DM, I can make that happen. Probably should.)

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I also love wild magic sorcerers, concentration, attunement, etc.

Lack of assumed magic items/magic item shops is a big one.

I am also a fan of short rests. I like that the party can restore some resources without a complete reset maintaining the tension. This enables more options for pacing. I also like that it introduces a new type of character resource. This increases the breadth of character options available.

a multitude of different resource regeneration cycles. Short rest and long rest replenishing features.
An adventuring day of many encounters. The possibility for adventurers to set their own pace and the DM's ability to build up tension.

Uchawi

First Post
A DM always has authority to make rulings in every edition, so overall I do like the simplicity of 5E, but not the vague rules like stealth thinking that helps the DM. I also love hit points as a catch all, versus specific views like hit points is just physical damage.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I don't get why people have difficulty with hiding. Either you're hidden, or you're not and you can't hide if you don't have something to hide behind. Simple.

But i have found the CR guidelines to be really useful.
Every conversation I've seen about CR has been that it's a total mess and, if anything, misleading.

Multiclassing in 5E love how it has been done
I'm currently on the fence about it. I've never liked multi-classing and I love this edition's rules for it because it's so restrictive and requires a lot of thought. BUt on the flip-side, players love to multi-class. It's probably the one thing that I could say almost every player wants to do, and because the multi-classing rules are so well balanced and restrictive, it ends up being a huge trap for those without at least a moderate degree of system mastery. So I have to warn players and disencourage it, simply so that they're not left with a character that falls significantly behind everyone else's.

Remove ads