• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Party member down!

boarvolk

First Post
Gday guys, I need some help.

I recently lost a character (lvl 4) in a campaign where we have already lost 22 characters without ever wiping, (Worlds largest dungeon). Problem is this was the last remaining original party member, didn't have particularly good stats, but I was attached to him nonetheless, and didn't really like the way he went out.

We Cannot res him until higher levels, we can't just preserve him and take him to town (in WLD you can't leave) and if we preserve him and res him in a few levels well He will be lvl three(-1 lvl from res) while we are all lvl 7ish.

Is there any other way to get him back into the campaign, now or in a few levels time?

I'd even accept turning him into an undead creature if I could find some rules on it.

Literally is there __ANY__ way to making him playable again?

We have a lvl 4 cleric and a lvl 1(multiclassed) cleric we can preserve him. The closer we stay to core the better, but I'd be interested to here any solution, who knows the GM might allow it.

-Thanks

boarvolk

First Post
One other thing to mention is this is a roll playing campaign, we've tried wld role playing before and it was just too hard. So no real justification has to be given, so long a it doesn't drastically break alignment.

I'll be brining a new character into the campaign as well, so that might open some doors to possibilities.

Cor_Malek

First Post
Being undead really sucks unless you could become Death Knight or something like that. One way would be to get him back after you res him as an NPC, but you want him to be playable. Well, other way would be to res him after you're at higher level, and have him around you, making sure to defend him - and essentially power level him. His lower level will be affecting the amount of experience points you guys get (lower CR), so you won't be as handicapped as you might think. On top of that (increase of xp), he needs less points to get close to you. Don't think of it as 4 levels behind, but rather 18 000 xp. By the time you get to level 8, he's at 5; when you hit 9th, he'd already be halfway to 7th; when the clerics are at 10th - he's nearly at 8th. From here on out - he'll be 2 levels lower, but your CR will be 1 lower as well(from level 17, he'll be only one level behind). As you have two clerics in the team, lack of power in team shouldn't be an issue ;-) Especially, if he's a martial - your CR gets lowered, so the cleric casters essentially get a bonus caster level, which is nice ;-) If that character isn't martial - consider multi-classing after the resurrection to have him use his lower level spells along with weapon proficiency.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Have your next character pick up the Leadership feat. Rez the old character when you have the capability and make him your cohort. Then powerlevel as Cor Malek suggests.

Another option is to be revived somehow as a necropolitan. I believe they're in Libris Mortis. No level adjustment, undead traits, no special abilities. You lose your Con bonus, but your Hit Dice turn into d12s and you gain immunity to crits (along with poison, disease, mind-affecting magic, et cetera et cetera); if you're a wizard or a sorceror, it's a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
Create a new character with the same stats, ask the players to let the new PC have the dead PCs gear, slightly change his first name but spell it in a way where it sounds similar to the dead PCs name, claim that he is his twin brother, and wear a blue cloak instead of a red one. :p

I suppose the Dues ex isn't the answer your looking for...
Nor is the 'obscure death rule'.
Switched by a doppelganger?

I think the best course is to keep the corpse on ice until he can be raised. This may be a while for the party to get to this point; investigate alternatives.

Plead your case at the local temple.
Pledge an oath. Do a job for them.
Give them money.
Promise you first born. (Wait. Your dead. Promise them someone elses brat.)

This can be the stuff adventures are made of.
Talk to your GM about this stuff. He wants you to keep playing...

boarvolk

First Post
Thanks guys, I'll look them up when I get home.if the gm allows it I'd love to come back as a ghost or even something weirder, but it will most likely have to be resurrection. You're right though, that's not a bad result.

buddhafrog

First Post
Last week I killed the party's thief. He reached -14HP exactly, which was his death HP. The player asked, and I agreed, to allow him to stay at -13 but I had the Orc's axe cut off his ear (permanent -2 perception), slice his face open terribly. I then gave him a permanent -5 charisma down to a 7 (but a +5 intimidate b/c now he did look pretty scary and I-don't-give-a-f*ck). I then kept him unconscious for nearly two days while the party trekked his body around. When he awoke, his dislocated shoulder hurt for two days giving him -2 to attacks and skill checks and he regained 1/2 healing surges for three days.

All in all it was a good decision that provided more grit, a lot more character personality, good teamwork opportunities as players tried to protect the thief but also opportunities for the theif to be the hero despite his current condition, and lastly great role playing opportunities in the future. And it was fun.

This won't help you b/c it sounds like you're dead-dead already. But I wanted to throw that out there for folks whose characters die... but you really really don't want them to die. Talk to the DM and see if creative alternatives would be possible.

(by the way, I made it clear that I wouldn't always do this)

Last edited:

cdrcjsn

First Post
Make him warforged!

We can build him stronger, better, faster...we have the technology!

Can't find a cleric for a rez? Get him to an artificer and transfer his consciousness into a hunk of metal. Fun roleplaying angst for the character as he gets used to his new body.

Remove ads