• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Party optimisation vs Character optimisation

Zardnaar

Legend
Restrictions on casters were greater in AD&D, no question. Martial classes, though, got even /less/ than in any later editions, so the disparity was already very real. Same goes for 0D&D and Basic/B/X/BECMI/RC.

3e was perhaps the worst offender, but that doesn't excuse the other editions.

You push that agenda a bit to much though. Most people did not play higher levels in OSR D&D so those problems did not exist as such. Its not like D&D was actually designed for high level play anyway looking at my OD&D set and even in 1E with several classes lacking class features above level 14. 2E more or less added the concept of level 1-2 in a core book (BECMI went to 36 needed splats to do that) and 3E made it so you could actually get there via rapid levelling relative to OSR D&D.

Surveys in 1999 revealed most of the player base did not play high level games, most adventures were designed for lower level play and as late as Dungeon magazine July/August 2000 they revealed they had very few high level adventurers submitted. The got to get to level 20 mentality did not really turn up until 3E.

4E had some very real problems starting at level 1. Hit point bloat, healing surges, DS mechanics, powers, rail roaded roles etc. You may as well cater to what most of your player base expects and wants from D&D. I would rather have a D&D game that functions ok at level 1-10 or so than a game that attempts to fix that and screws the game up. My ideal game would have BECMI xp tables, 3E d20 mechanics, some feats, and a hybrid of 2E and 3E classes with BECMI or 1E level of spells. No wand of CLW, no healing surges, no hit dice based healing and tone the critters done as we do not really need hobgoblins and bugbears hitting has hard as they do the only reason they do is because of the silly power levels of 5E PCs hit point recovery.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Most people did not play higher levels in OSR D&D so those problems did not exist as such. Surveys in 1999 revealed most of the player base did not play high level games, most adventures were designed for lower level play and as late as Dungeon magazine July/August 2000 they revealed they had very few high level adventurers submitted.
Not playing too far past the levels at which casters started to dominate the game is certainly consistent with the idea that casters dominating the game is an undesirable thing. And, too be clear 'high level' in the context of that survey was, what, over 10th?

Its not like D&D was actually designed for high level play anyway looking at my OD&D set and even in 1E with several classes lacking class features above level 14.
1e did a lot of very weird balancing across levels, so capping at a given level, like non-/demi-humans did to 'balance' multiclassing was probably meant to be such a mechanism.

Edit: to be clear, this is not about any one edition. The uneven treatment of caster and non-caster archetypes permeates all versions of D&D, throughout it's history. You can point out that 3.x was arguably the worst offender, and I don't disagree, but that doesn't let other editions off the hook.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Not playing too far past the levels at which casters started to dominate the game is certainly consistent with the idea that casters dominating the game is an undesirable thing. And, too be clear 'high level' in the context of that survey was, what, over 10th?

1e did a lot of very weird balancing across levels, so capping at a given level, like non-/demi-humans did to 'balance' multiclassing was probably meant to be such a mechanism.

It was. OD&D more or less went to level 10 and demihuman level caps of 8,10 and 12 were not a big deal with how the xp tables worked and the game only went to level 14 anyway. Problems started with the CMI part of BECMI or the UA expansion for UA. My prefered solution would have been design a better human (+1 to 2 stats of your choice or 20-50% boost to xp).

I think the main reaosn people didn't play much past 10th level were the xp tables. Apparently they assumed that with a 4 hour session per week it would take around a year to get to level 9 or 10 and about 2 levels a year after that. Most D&D games did not last for a year or more. 5E has been designed to get to level 20 in a years time roughly of weekly 4 hour sessions. I'm not to sure how that will play out as the higher levels in 5E are semi borked just in different ways to 3.5 with nova strikes (Paladins/Fighters), ranged options and some feats and spells being borked due to the saving throw system being iffy. 5E sweet spot is around level 4-10, 4E around level 1-5, BECMI 5-14, AD&D 5th-11 IMHO of course.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think the main reaosn people didn't play much past 10th level were the xp tables. Apparently they assumed that with a 4 hour session per week it would take around a year to get to level 9 or 10 and about 2 levels a year after that. Most D&D games did not last for a year or more.
Exp tables did level out with hundreds of thousand of exp as a level width for all classes around name level. More hundreds of thousands for a Cleric, Fighter or Magic-user than for a Thief, but still, quite a lot.

Then again, the things a high-level party could handle were staggering, and xp awards were limited only by DM generosity. So, no, I don't think that was the main reason.

5E has been designed to get to level 20 in a years time roughly of weekly 4 hour sessions. I'm not to sure how that will play out as the higher levels in 5E are semi borked just in different ways to 3.5
Probably the same way: people will stop playing as the game starts to falter, and the long-standing 'preference' for lower-level play will once again be re-affirmed.

I think the main reason high level play hasn't been hugely embraced is the 'sweet spot.' There's a period where you've gotten out of the being-too-fragile low levels, but casters haven't started totally dominating and the game hasn't mechanically collapsed. For most versions of D&D, it's probably in the 3-10 range.

5E sweet spot is around level 4-10, IMHO of course.
I think 5e's sweet spot kicks in between 2nd and 5th (inclusive). 1st is definitely problematic, and that's very disappointing. Need more data to pin it down beyond that. I have a sinking feeling (ironically) that it might, as you suggest, be at least 4th. I don't see anything about the design to indicate it won't run into trouble in the low double-digits, just like most editions did, but I reserve judgment until I get to try it at much higher level - which may well be never if I keep running Encounters and AL...

One very interesting thing about sweet spots, though - and I think anyone generating parties at higher levels to 'test' 5e out should keep this in mind - a character and party that level up from 1 to n as part of a campaign are probably going to experience a wider sweet spot than one that builds new characters to 'test' each level. For one thing, decisions you make at lower level are going to carry with you to higher levels. For another, you'll get to thoroughly understand the characters' abilities at lower levels before moving on, so they'll both be quick & easy to use, and prone to be used more effectively rather than ignored in favor of 'testing' the top-level options. And, of course, you won't be 'optimized' at each level.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
And, we've circled back to the questionable assertion that started this tangent. :sigh:

You seem unwilling to admit that martial archetypes have a certain level of power in literary works that is less than the casters. It fits the fantasy genre. You would be breaking genre archetypes by having martials equal in power to casters.

No, martial archetypes are popular to play because they are popularly heroes in the fantasy genre. LoTR? Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli - technically even Legolas and the hobbits - all martial. One wizard, and he was a warrior in his youth and would draw steel to deal with enemies as often as cast spells.

No. Gandalf was not a warrior in his youth. He did draw steel as often as the others. Discussing Gandalf is pointless. He was not human. He was a Maia, a lesser angel, in the guise of ancient man that men called wizards. The entire reason I switched the discussion to relative power levels is because each book does martials and casters differently. But the common thread is casters are generally the most powerful in the book's universe because magic is more powerful than weapon use.

That popularity carries through to D&D /in spite of/ how badly the game treats those archetypes.

It does not badly handle these archetypes. They are capable of extraordinary fighting feats that fantasy archetypes can accomplish. You are exaggerating their lack of agency and ability to forward your argument. You are attempting to willfully falsify information to promote your agenda.

How can you say that to an onlooker a fighter that cuts down a giant is not powerful? How can you say that a martial that cuts down a horde of orcs is not powerful? How can you not say a martial that destroys a group of demons and their demonic master with his blade or axe is not powerful? To an outsider like a villager or even lower level 2 or 3 soldier, a level 15 to 20 fighter looks like a god in battle. The combat feats he pulls off are every bit as extraordinary and spectacular as a wizard's spells. Most people die when an orc shows up. The high level fighter cuts them down five or more at a time.

And, true to form, close with an ad-hominem suggesting that anyone who isn't willfully blind to the problem is incompetent.

You are engaging in willful deception to forward your argument. You seem to feel that because you feel the way you do, we should all feel that way. When we don't and explain why, you attempt to make it seem as though we are willfully ignorant of a problem only you seem able to perceive as a serious problem with D&D. You can't accept that many people don't agree with you. We don't have the same problem you have due to experience or preference.

The fact that you need to exercise DM fiat to block caster dominance is just further proof of the disparity.

You are confusing DM fiat with designing adventures to fit your party. A barbarian does not do the same as a fighter. A ranger does not do the same as a rogue. A bard does not do the same as a wizard.

Designing adventures not taking differences into account is incompetent DM design no matter what you're doing. I also take into account backgrounds and personalities. Does that make what I'm doing DM fiat? I call it quality adventure design aimed at providing an entertaining experience for a diverse group. Why does this seem so difficult for you to accept? Casters did not dominate because they did not need or try to.

For caster domination to occur you need certain elements in your game besides a biased game system. You need a player that tries to hog the limelight. Still the casters do not get to do everything unless the players and DM let them. The players have to be willing to wait for the caster to prepare. They have to put up the coin to fund all his tactics. They have to stand around while the caster does everything taking no actions of their own. The DM has to willingly allow this to happen running encounters in a fashion that doesn't in anyway take into account the party tactics and capabilities. You need these other factors for the caster domination you speak of to occur.

This doesn't occur in my campaigns because I design encounters to deal with a party. Personally, I had a much harder time dealing with martials dealing 200 points of damage a round than I did with casters. A saving throw could defeat a spell. High spell resistance could defeat a spell. Extrasensory perception could defeat things like invisibility. Very little could defeat a single round of hits from a high level martial. That's why my experience as a DM differs dramatically from yours. The martials I ran were not in any way lacking in power or agency. Sure, perfect planning by a caster (usually a wizard) on an ideal battlefield to deal with a specific martial usually meant the martial would lose. Same thing happened if the martial got ahold of the caster for a round.

But the way the game is generally played that didn't happen. Usually the group worked as a group to win the day. I planned adventures that required they work as a group. You call that DM fiat. I call that good adventure design. If you're complaining as much as you are about overpowered casters, then you weren't designing adventures the same as I and many others were. If you consider that incompetence, then maybe it is. I do consider myself a highly competent DM having done it for so many years.

Sure, we could all play 3.5 'E6' and freeze casters at 6th level while letting martials continue to accumulate feats - it would be nice, though, if we could just get all the archetypes on a more or less even keel, so they'd all be equally accessible and players could just play what they wanted, without having to count on DM interventions for relevance.

Or you could put the time in to design adventures that provide opportunities for everyone to do something fun and useful. I could design an adventure where the casters were nearly useless. I could do this over and over again. Then I'd hear someone complaining how unfair it is that martials are so much more powerful than casters. How they do so much more in adventures. The usual tripe thrown out in these arguments.

Why would I do that? I know how this works. The entire game has always been reliant on the DM tailoring adventures to fit the party. There are all kinds of disparities even between martials. The 3E/Pathfinder barbarian was stronger than the fighter. The paladin was stronger than the fighter. The rogue and fighter were two of the weakest classes in the 3E/Pathfinder game as far as overall options and capabilities compared to other martials, much less casters. If one of my players wanted to play a rogue or fighter, I built the adventure to make them feel like a strong hero.

Why? Because there has never been perfect balance in D&D. There never will be. D&D is...and should be...about building appropriate archetypes rather than balanced archetypes. As a DM I take what a player wants to do and create an adventure that allows them to accomplish it. If they wanted to play a sneaky rogue that backstabs but isn't that great at frontal combat with a giant or a dragon, I create situations that allow them to sneak around, backstab, steal, scout, and feel like a productive part of the group. If some guy makes a fighter with minimal non-combat stuff, I create moments in an adventure for him to shine in battle whether a single combat that has an effect on the adventure or an enemy that can only be defeated by his mighty fighting skills.

That is my job as a DM. It is to know what each character can do and create moments for them to do it well. I am doing my job poorly if I throw the party into an adventure and hope they can all look great in a game with so many options that the game designers can't possibly balance them all. I figured most people accepted this reality since the perfectly balanced game had not yet been created. I always understood the DM's job is to make an adventure fun for a diverse group usually meaning tailoring parts of it to allow a player to shine using his favorite capabilities be that swinging an axe or casting a spell.

Calling that DM fiat is willfully deceptive and agenda driven. Tailoring adventures is a necessary component of the game because no DM should ever expect all classes to be equally competent at all aspects of the game whether they want to talk of three pillars or combat and non-combat. They should feel it part of their job to make sure no class build dominates no matter what choices the players make. Even if it were a party of fighters with half the party using optimal fighter builds and the other half not, it would still be your job to make sure they all had fun in the same adventure by tailoring it to the party the players have created. You should do that every time you run something.

I admit the game designers fail at balance quite often to the point it damages the game. Your pretense that they do so solely for casters is ridiculous. There are a plethora of imbalanced nightmare options for martial characters in previous editions of D&D that allow a particular class build to dominate the group in a way that is damaging to the playability of the game. I've had more imbalance problems from martial builds than caster builds because it is impossible to build enemies that can withstand insane damage, whereas it is fairly easy to build enemies to be resistant to magic (at least for me).

Yet when dealing with insane martial damage or crazy caster problems, I still manage to tailor adventures so everyone has fun. That is my goal as a DM. I meet that goal more often than not, though I did recently give up trying to run mythic characters. The number inflation for martial damage in Mythic Adventures was too hard to keep up with. It became an exercise in creating bigger and bigger hit point sponges to deal with the massive martial damage from crits. It wasn't fun as a DM.

To sum it up, I don't want perfect or close to perfect balance amongst the archetypes. I don't think it should be a goal of game designers. I think they should focus on appropriate abilities for the various archetypes that fit what a player expects each archetype to do. That means using weapons very well for fighters. Using powerful and varied magic for wizards. They should leave it up to DMs to make sure everyone has fun doing what they do well within the game world. You need to take a look in the mirror when you're calling that viewpoint willfully blind and claiming ad hominem attacks. It is a different viewpoint based on a different experience with the game and a different idea of what a fantasy game should be like.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Due to 3E though people have been over stating the martial vs caster disparity. It was not nearly as bad in AD&D and they also had various restrictions. To be fair AD&D did have god wizards at higher level but they were glass cannons and most people did not play high level games in any event and it also took a long time to get there. Clerics and Druids lacked level 8 and 9 spells as well.

The disparity did exist but most people probably did not see it due to not actually getting to those levels. And even if you did a wizard could be level 16 the thief would be level 20 and the cleric would be level 18 along with the fighter IIRC. A level 20 thief can one shot a level 16 wizard. I had a 5th level party beat a level 18 wizard in 2E. They were not supposed to fight the NPC but they did and they got lucky with a dispel magic (rolled a 20) and he was flying. I had a level 18 wizard get killed by a pack of trolls as they had a shamen with dispel magic. That was that PCs 1st death via clone spells.

Due tot he way initiative worked the wizard would need to be prepped for combat and even with spells like stone skin up they would get pelted with darts from 6 PCs (bigger parties in AD&D). A single point of damage in the round before their turn interrupted their spell as well. Haste and wish could also kill you in 2 ways via the ageing and via a system shock roll. You could not spam buff spells as most of them did not exist or only granted a +1 bonus. BECMI lacked a lot of the problem spell combos as they did not have that many spells and the broken ones were more like things such as uncapped fireballs so a 24th level BECMI wizard got to deal 24d6 damage with a fireball spell. You could not cast wish at all in BECMI until you got to level 36 and had an 18 int and an 18 wisdom. Druids did not exist in BECMI until they were added as an optional class later in the line and the mystic class (monk basically) was also in a similar boat.

BECMI started to go off the rails after level 14 or so or if you let in AD&D spells. Stoneskin and Greater Invisibility did not exist. You also did not get level 9 spells until level 21 and BECMI xp tables were better than AD&D as the wizard was always behind in xp unlike AD&D which had weird xp tables.

Level 7 Cleric spells in the Rules Cyclopedia
Earthquake
Holy Word
Raise Dead Fully*
Restore*
Survival
Travel
Wish
Wizardry

Most of which are non combat.

Level 7 Druid Spells (Druids also shared the Cleric Spells)

Creeping Doom
Metal to Wood
Summon Elemental
Weather Control

Level 9 Wizard Spells.

Contingency
Create Any Monster
Gate*
Heal
Immunity
Maze
Meteor Swarm
Power Word Kill
Prismatic Wall
Shapechange
Survival
Timestop
Wish

In addition there were limits as to how many spells you could know. TSR Era Druids were also not that good at what became wildshaping. The 5E land Druid is more faithful to the original Druids as opposed to 3E or the Moon Druid. Wildshaping was for scouting not combat as a wolf was about the best form you could take- at level 7.

2E is probably my favourite D&D edition, BECMI is probably the best designed D&D they ever made. It actually works up to around level 15 or so before massive problems start to kick in. 5E gets around 2-4 levels over 3.5 before problems start to crop up.

It wasn't nearly as bad in 3E as some claim. Martials did insane feats in 3E that were as hard or harder to deal with for DMs.

Sure, the fighter and rogue were weak. The barbarian, paladin, and ranger were strong. A monk in a campaign with rolled stats could be extremely strong. The monk's MAD generally held them back, not the class capabilities.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Edit: to be clear, this is not about any one edition. The uneven treatment of caster and non-caster archetypes permeates all versions of D&D, throughout it's history. You can point out that 3.x was arguably the worst offender, and I don't disagree, but that doesn't let other editions off the hook.

Off the hook? Because you don't like it.

Did you ever bother to think that fantasy fans expected the disparity? Did you ever ask yourself how can a game be as successful as D&D with this martial vs. caster disparity you claim damages the game so much and is so obvious?

I've always expected a martial vs. caster disparity. When the game tried to get rid of it in 4E, I quit the game and found something else to play. I want a disparity between martial and casters. You don't even feel like a wizard if that disparity doesn't exist in my opinion.

Why? For a few reasons.

1. When I play a martial and I'm going against a wizard, I want to be scared of the wizard. Not scared like a child in a horror movie. But scared like a professional soldier of an enemy wielding unknown capabilities rumored to be extraordinarily powerful and strange. I want to feel like Théoden or Boromir when talking about Galadriel or the Knights of the Round Table talking about Merlin.

2. When I play a wizard, I want the martials scared or awed. I want them to feel like they're traveling with the mysterious and powerful user of the arcane arts who wields powers and capabilities far beyond what can be accomplished with sword and guile.

3. I want a wizard or priest to do things like they do in books. Launch a hail of fire from a burning branch to drive off the pack of wolves that seem endless. Stand at a door exchanging spells to keep a door shut against a Balrog. Obliterate an enemy with a thought like Brandin in Tigana or Bayaz in The First Law. You think the common martial desires to go against wizards I those books? He does so because he has no choice. He finds a way to win not be taking the wizards on head on, but by finding allies, using magic items, good fortune, destiny or something similar.

I expect this type of disparity in the fantasy genre. If it doesn't exist, I don't feel like I'm even playing in the fantasy genre. Have you ever asked yourself if more people feel like I do than you?

Zardnaar

Legend
Off the hook? Because you don't like it.

Did you ever bother to think that fantasy fans expected the disparity? Did you ever ask yourself how can a game be as successful as D&D with this martial vs. caster disparity you claim damages the game so much and is so obvious?

I've always expected a martial vs. caster disparity. When the game tried to get rid of it in 4E, I quit the game and found something else to play. I want a disparity between martial and casters. You don't even feel like a wizard if that disparity doesn't exist in my opinion.

Why? For a few reasons.

1. When I play a martial and I'm going against a wizard, I want to be scared of the wizard. Not scared like a child in a horror movie. But scared like a professional soldier of an enemy wielding unknown capabilities rumored to be extraordinarily powerful and strange. I want to feel like Théoden or Boromir when talking about Galadriel or the Knights of the Round Table talking about Merlin.

2. When I play a wizard, I want the martials scared or awed. I want them to feel like they're traveling with the mysterious and powerful user of the arcane arts who wields powers and capabilities far beyond what can be accomplished with sword and guile.

3. I want a wizard or priest to do things like they do in books. Launch a hail of fire from a burning branch to drive off the pack of wolves that seem endless. Stand at a door exchanging spells to keep a door shut against a Balrog. Obliterate an enemy with a thought like Brandin in Tigana or Bayaz in The First Law. You think the common martial desires to go against wizards I those books? He does so because he has no choice. He finds a way to win not be taking the wizards on head on, but by finding allies, using magic items, good fortune, destiny or something similar.

I expect this type of disparity in the fantasy genre. If it doesn't exist, I don't feel like I'm even playing in the fantasy genre. Have you ever asked yourself if more people feel like I do than you?

I don't mind the disparity myself and often pick martials anyway. I saw very few wizards in 3E, one or 2 Druids and a lot of fighters and clerics. The clerics were not as twinked out as they could be so CoDZilla was more of a theory thing for the most part. I never saw the shock trooper feat used but not 100% sure what book it was in and it my have been a banned feat anyway. I was careful with a lot of 3E era splatbook stuff in terms of what I allowed into the game.

3.0 was nutty in some ways though and I did see a couple of power builds like Incantrix, Shadow Adept, Archer Cleric. Because of 3.0 I let a lot less abuse into the game with 3.5.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not that leading a niche market as tiny as TTRPGs is really all that successful, but, yes, D&D owes it's success to it's hallowed first RPG status and the fact no other RPG has mainstream name recognition. Thus, new players most often start with D&D, and if they really can't stand it's flaws and foibles, they're at least as likely never to join the hobby as to go looking for something better.

Thanks for your honesty.

1. When I play a martial and I'm going against a wizard, I want to be scared of the wizard.
You think the common martial desires to go against wizards I those books? He does so because he has no choice. He finds a way to win not be taking the wizards on head on, but by finding allies, using magic items, good fortune, destiny or something similar.
In 5e, NPCs can be statted out as monsters rather than as PCs, so a DM can make an villainous wizard/witch/sorcerer/whatever just as scary as he needs. The same was true in 4e, AD&D - really every ed except 3.x/Pathfinder.

So, that's only been an excuse for the disparity between caster and non-caster PC classes in one edition - perhaps not coincidentally the one where that disparity is most pronounced.

Again, thanks for your honesty. Your agenda here is that you want to dominate play with an overpowered caster. Noted.

It's exactly the desire of players like yourself to ruin the game for others that makes the lack of class balance in D&D such an issue. If everyone were content to let everyone else have their fun, too, such mechanical constraints wouldn't be needed.

3. I want a wizard or priest to do things like they do in books. Launch a hail of fire from a burning branch to drive off the pack of wolves that seem endless. Stand at a door exchanging spells to keep a door shut against a Balrog.
Pyrotechnics and Hold Portal. Hardly requires overwhelming power.

Obliterate an enemy with a thought like Brandin in Tigana or Bayaz in The First Law.
Never heard of 'em. Even so, as impressive as 'obliterate' might seem compared to merely 'kill,' it doesn't accomplish a whole lot more. Casters kill enemies in ostentatious, supernatural ways, martials kill enemies with cold steel. Either way, the enemy is dead.

The disparity you see in genre isn't what you think it is.

- The overpowered uber-casters in genre are usually the villains. Monsters don't have to follow the same rules as PCs. Protagonists, especially those who are in an ensemble cast like the Fellowship, aren't nearly so out of line.

- Where overpowered uber-casters /are/ protagonists, there are no non-casting protagonists sharing the spotlight with them, non-casters are relegated to victims and hangers-on of various sorts. (Which, can work in a game that explicitly lays that out, like Ars Magicka.)

- The powers actually displayed by casters in genre rarely stack up to their propaganda. Exposition can go on and on about how powerful a villainous caster is, but when the chips are down, he can't just obliterate the hero with a thought, and can be defeated.

- The implications of supernatural powers aren't as great as they may seem. Casters, by definition, do things that are literally impossible. Conjure matter and energy ex nillo, for instance. While it's easy to think that being able to do one impossible thing implies being able to do almost anything or do so with vast power, that's not the case. Conjuring a ball of soft light from nothing is impossible, it's supernatural - it's not powerful. It won't light a fire like a torch, or hurt or even blind anyone. A great many powers actually displayed by casters in genre are on that order. They're impossible, but they're not powerful. The bolt of lightning kills, but no more efficiently (perhaps less efficiently) than a well-placed arrow.

- Magic in genre also tends to be a lot less accessible, dependable, safe and controllable than in D&D. Some of the most potent stunts pulled by casters in genre are a matter of a spell going wrong, or leveraging a devastating side-effect rather than using magic for it's usual purpose. Things that are very much one-off for a variety of reasons. Spells are more like rituals that take a long time or a lot of materials or collecting specific artifacts to complete.

- And, of course, the sheer breadth of D&D spell lists encompasses virtually anything a caster might do in genre, but individual casters in genre rarely actually display anywhere near such breadth, while D&D prepped casters can easily do so.

Remove ads