• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Party stuck on puzzle. Any ideas?

Question

First Post
Update : The combat is resolved, the wraith barely did any damage at all(something like 10ish damage to the fighter) before dying.

Im now waiting to see if the DM is going to let the party loot my corpse, or if they are going to try and resurrect me.

cmanos

First Post
Question said:
Update :

4 shields, 1 dragon, 6 swords fails to work.

4 shields, 6 swords and 1 dragon fails to work as well.

Hmm.

Personally, knowing the 4 shields have already locked in place...I would use 1 sword and 6 dragons.....a sword looks more like a 1 than a 6 and a dragon looks more like a 6 (serpentine...curly...) than a 1 (straight...stiff)

EDIT: DOH....will pay me to read the entire thread first.

If nothing happened when you put the blocks in, I am at a loss. Sit down and starve. or go elsewhere.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Question said:
Well we got the message that that part of the puzzle appears to be solved, but thats it.

The real puzzle is: Why are you guys still playing this? :lol:

Best I can do:

"For they sleep not,"

The corpse should be sleeping eternally, but he is not.

"except they have done mischief;"

The corpse was probably a bad guy who did good (considering the place you are in) as opposed to a good guy who did bad.

"and their sleep is taken away,"

The corpse is aware, hence, his eternal sleep was taken away.

"unless they cause some to fall"

The corpse has to cause some to fall (note: some, not one). It is unlikely that it refers to the corpse physically falling, rather the corpse has to cause several Good PCs to do Evil acts. It could be claimed that this has already happened with your PC changing and attack the party, but there could be more to it, but that is only one PC, not several.

"They" in the riddle appears to refer to the corpse over and over again.

I suggest that you guys burn the corpse or hack at it or some such (or even sprinkle Holy Water on it or do Turn Undead on it, i.e. positive energy). That could be construed as an evil act since the guy is eternally aware. Worse case, another PC will change and at least the "some" part of the riddle might be satisfied.

Outside of that, I got nothing. Silent Bob??? :confused:

Question

First Post
I dont know why the rest are still playing. Btw did you miss the last page? No one is going to try to burn or disturb the corpse anymore. Insta kill.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Question said:
I dont know why the rest are still playing. Btw did you miss the last page? No one is going to try to burn or disturb the corpse anymore. Insta kill.

Yes, I did read that.

But, it says "some to fall", not "one to fall".

It seems to indicate that two PCs must be instakilled or that another PC must harm the body (even if it is just with a Turn Undead from range) and hence, perform an evil act (in the eyes of the guys who set this up).

Infiniti2000

First Post
Question said:
Im now waiting to see if the DM is going to let the party loot my corpse, or if they are going to try and resurrect me.
What corpse? By definition, a dread wraith has no corpse. You need a true resurrection, buddy. If your equipment is still there, it's on the ground. No looting required.

Dagger of Lath

First Post
Thanee said:
The 11 places in the square still doesn't make sense, though, from a geometrical viewpoint. ;)
Cough Cough... Pocket dimension... Ahem... Folded Space... errrrr.... yeah... ahem... moving along.
;)

(It's disturbing that I've actually used that exact excuse before :D)

Dagger of Lath

First Post
Question said:
Im not sure whether DC 34+ saves are supposedly to be common at ECL 15.

Even for the character's best save, at level 15 you've got maybe +9 for class and +5 for attribute if it's your character's strongest area. (rogues and reflex for example). Thus requiring a roll of 20 for your best save. Of course with some magical items you could add a few bonuses here and there but it's still a ridiculously high DC.

This is a stupid trap since;
A) The clue is in a biblical quote in Greyhawk of all places.
B) The trap's DC appears way too high. (Sounds like a will negates, fortitude to remove some effect).
C) The effect of the trap doesn't sound like any trap, spell effect or another canonical entry into D&D. Sounds like the effect is there "because it's in the module", rather than a person actually putting it there.

Of course, I'm not there so I don't know the context or anything but I imagine if I had been in your shoes when he killed my character I'd have said thankyou and left.

Maniac

Explorer
Question said:
The bloody entrails hang out of the torso and pile into the pool up to the rim, nearly spilling over the edges -- enough intestinal tract to fill the bowels of twenty men.

Question said:
Etched into the side of the pool directly above the blocks is the passage, “For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall -- Proverbs 4:16.”

I don't think this had been mentioned before but perhaps the thing you need to cause to fall is more intestines. [Ewww!]. That would explain the extra parts in the pool.

I have no idea how you would cause "some to fall" though.

M.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads