D&D 5E Party Synergy

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I would, but haven't finished thinking of them yet. Still at the drawing board. I didn't stat out the Tempest cleric because there really isn't anything complex to it. Be a cleric, pick a race with a wisdom buff, and choose the tempest domain. If you were going with the Cleric rider you could choose Mounted Combat.

Pillars would be the basic roles: someone to draw aggro, another for crowd control, a skill monkey, and a single target massive damage dealer. Not every party needs to have these roles filled. If you have a tank to draw aggro, a skill monkey, and 2 crowd control characters, you might not need that dps character. Maybe one player figures out how to fill out two roles. A vengeance paladin is quite good at drawing aggro and dps. There are lots of variations to consider.
Whenever I see "aggro" and "dps" I think "video games," and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :/

That being said, I am interested in what constitutes an "optimal" party. :)

B. Chaos

First Post
I started this thread because I'm curious of methods on how to achieve party synergy. An optimal party to me is one where each player's abilities increase the effectiveness of their fellow players. Also, an optimal party is effective at handling combat in multiple forms, social encounters, exploration, and investigation. How to do that is something I don't have a defined answer to, but is something I think about.

Remove ads