• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Passive Trapfinding?

Kyrail

First Post
I know nothing really stops a rogue from always checking everything they walk by, but this is unrealistic and makes trip finding pretty boring.

As far as I know there is no rule for passively finding traps. IE without looking for them.

Normally I just slap a -10 to their search check and if they can still make the check they spot it, this being adapted from the -10 to hide and move silently when moving at full speed.

Are there any better ways to handle this?

LonePaladin

Explorer
There is one 'automatic trapfinding' ability: stonecunning. Dwarves can automatically locate traps that involve stone (even ones that simply appear to be such) when they come within 10 feet of the trap or trigger.

The "–10 to locate on the move" idea is definitely workable. You might want to consider making it a Spot check, but the other two 'automatic searching' rules (for elves and dwarves) use Search as well, so it's up to you.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
One way is make all perception skills automatic. Make the rolls in secret (or not, either way works) and apply the rogue's modifiers. They get a chance to see a foe hiding around the corner, or invisibly hiding in plain sight, so why not a trip wire or a pressure plate?

JDJblatherings

First Post
"Gnome On A Rope" is a great passive trap finding system. Walk the little fewllow infront of you with about 15-20 feet of give on the line. Yank him out of conflagrations and pits shouldhe trigger such traps and hopefully stay out of the area of effect yourself.

Drowbane

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
"Gnome On A Rope" is a great passive trap finding system. Walk the little fewllow infront of you with about 15-20 feet of give on the line. Yank him out of conflagrations and pits shouldhe trigger such traps and hopefully stay out of the area of effect yourself.

Finally! A use for all those gnomes!

Psion

Adventurer
Kyrail said:
I know nothing really stops a rogue from always checking everything they walk by, but this is unrealistic and makes trip finding pretty boring.

As far as I know there is no rule for passively finding traps. IE without looking for them.

Normally I just slap a -10 to their search check and if they can still make the check they spot it, this being adapted from the -10 to hide and move silently when moving at full speed.

I have a house rule I stole from Voadam:

1) All characters can search for traps of any DC (provided, of course, they have the appropriate level of search)
2) The trapfinding ability of rogues, now useless, is replaced with the ability to earn a free search check (similar to elves and secret doors) when coming within 5' of the trigger mechanism or area of effect of a trap.

Pbartender

First Post
Kyrail said:

You got the rule for hide and move slightly wrong:

"You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging."

Which is precisely the rule I use for searching. To wit:

"You can move up to one-half your normal speed and search at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to search while attacking, running or charging."

Psion

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
You got the rule for hide and move slightly wrong:

"You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging."

Which is precisely the rule I use for searching. To wit:

"You can move up to one-half your normal speed and search at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to search while attacking, running or charging."

Not too shabby. It scratches my consistency itch in the right place. :cool:

Pbartender

First Post
Psion said:
Not too shabby. It scratches my consistency itch in the right place. :cool:

Yep, same here. In addition, it allows me to assume that, unless otherwise specified, trapfinders are Taking 10 at searching at all times when moving at normal speed (-5) through a dungeon. Thus, a typical 10th level rogue with a +15 search check, would be automatically finding any traps, treasure or secret doors with a search DC of 20 or lower.

Here is the house rule I introduced into the game I run:

Rogues are automatically entitled to a Search check to find traps when moving carefully (half-speed) and passing within 5 feet of a trap. This ability works like the Elven ability to find secret doors.

I found that it stops the Rogue from constantly having to tell me that he is searching for traps.

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads