Pathfinder 2's Ranger Is A Magic-Free Wilderness Hunter

Rangers in D&D and Pathfinder have a varied history, and range from mysterious wilderness travellers to dual-wielding magical beings; many have a preference on that spectrum, and mine falls towards the "Aragorn" end of the scale. It seems that Paizo feels similarly, because the ranger in Pathfinder 2nd Edition is magic-free (although still quite dual-wieldy).

Rangers in D&D and Pathfinder have a varied history, and range from mysterious wilderness travellers to dual-wielding magical beings; many have a preference on that spectrum, and mine falls towards the "Aragorn" end of the scale. It seems that Paizo feels similarly, because the ranger in Pathfinder 2nd Edition is magic-free (although still quite dual-wieldy).

20180702-Ranger_360.jpeg

They describe the ranger as a hunter, first and foremost. Rangers have always had a favoured enemy; in this iteration, it's a bit more flexible. They have the Hunt Target feature, which allows them to designate a creature they can see and gain various benefits when attacking it. Other class features include:

• Hunt Target (1st level) -- smaller penalties when multi-attacking a designated target, plus bonuses to seek and track it.
  • Trackless Step (5th level).
  • Evasion (7th level).
  • Nature's Edge (9th level) -- enemies in difficult terrain or a snare are flat-footed.
  • Wild Stride (11th level) -- ignore or minimise difficult terrain.
  • Weapon Mastery (13th level) -- weapon mastery for a group of weapons.
  • Masterful Hunter (17th level) -- augments Hunt Target, reducing the penalties further.
  • Swift Target (19th level) -- use Hunt Target as a free action.
As always, there is a range of class feats, including Monster Hunter (if you crit when IDing a target you and your allies get +1 to hit it), and Scout's Warning (you grant your allies a +1 initiative bonus).

Finally, rangers get an ability called Snares. These are small traps which take about a minute to set up, such as a Slowing Snare or a Freezing Snare. They are objects with a price attached, and your Crafting rank determines how many you can learn.

I'm quite a fan of this ranger. They do note that you could create a spellcasting ranger build, but the default is this wilderness strider approach. I'm still not super-keen on small +1 bonuses, but I can live with them!

Read more about Pathfinder 2's ranger here!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't see his Warlord or Paladin-like abilities, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Fair to whom?

Anyway, Aragorn’s magical abilities were because he’s a magic king, not because he’s a ranger.

I say Aragorn because I mean a wilderness strider, not a divine Dunedain king. I agree he has the latter in his makeup but I was referring to his chosen profession, a ranger.

Rune

Once A Fool
I don't see his Warlord or Paladin-like abilities, so I don't think that's a fair comparison. That would be like saying a Wizard class was pretty much Gandalf, when we all know he's just as much Cleric and Paladin.

Lord of the Rings characters never fit into one specific race-class chassis in any edition of D&D. It's a lot of effort to make them "work."

That’s ridiculous. Gandalf is an Aasimar Lore Bard. Obviously.

mellored

Legend
I still don't see why this couldn't be a fighter or rogue with a "hunter" feat. "Pick a target and get a bonus" isn't enough of to be a whole class, and why couldn't a rogue use snares?|

IMO, there are only 3 non-magical classes.
Knight: Master of Defense (S&B Fighter + Paladin + Warlord) . Optional holy/inspiring healing, tactics, and defensive team buffs.
Brute: Master of Damage (2-handed Fighter + Barbarian + Avenger (4e)). Master of Damage. Optional rage, totem, and offensive team buffs.
Ranger: Master of Range (Fighter + Ranger + Rogue). With optional arcane archer, avoidance skills, and positioning team buffs.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I don't see his Warlord or Paladin-like abilities, so I don't think that's a fair comparison. That would be like saying a Wizard class was pretty much Gandalf, when we all know he's just as much Cleric and Paladin.

I never really saw any Warlord or Paladin-like abilities in Aragorn. Certainly never saw him standing at the back telling other people to attack.

Kurviak

Explorer
I still don't see why this couldn't be a fighter or rogue with a "hunter" feat. "Pick a target and get a bonus" isn't enough of to be a whole class, and why couldn't a rogue use snares?|

IMO, there are only 3 non-magical classes.
Knight: Master of Defense (S&B Fighter + Paladin + Warlord) . Optional holy/inspiring healing, tactics, and defensive team buffs.
Brute: Master of Damage (2-handed Fighter + Barbarian + Avenger (4e)). Master of Damage. Optional rage, totem, and offensive team buffs.
Ranger: Master of Range (Fighter + Ranger + Rogue). With optional arcane archer, avoidance skills, and positioning team buffs.

Because that’s not an evolutionary approach to pf. So you will alienate even more people than the current approach of keeping all classes that are in the pf1 core rule book (plus one)

mellored

Legend
Because that’s not an evolutionary approach to pf. So you will alienate even more people than the current approach of keeping all classes that are in the pf1 core rule book (plus one)
Evolution requires the underperforming branches to die off.

Survival of the fittest is not survival of everyone +1.

Yaarel

He Mage
I like the nonmagic ranger.

The ranger might gain druid spells variously, such as a ranger subclass, multiclass, or feat.

The dual-wielding is weird. Since when do hunters dual-wield? Hunter weapons are mainly bow and spear, depending on the animal.

That said, I get how the ranger works as a light-armor or no-armor warrior, and dual wielding can synergize with that.

Remove ads

Remove ads