Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Adventure Path: How Successful?

Have you subscribed to the Pathfinder Adventure Path (*not* the 3.75e ruleset)?

• I let my Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine subscription roll over to Pathfinder but did not renew it.

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • I subscribed later but let my subscription run out.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I subscribed later and am still subscribed.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I've been a subscriber from the beginning and still am.

Votes: 68 31.6%
  • I never subscribed/I don't know what this is.

Votes: 60 27.9%

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I bought Dragon in a LGS back in 2e times and stopped it after TSR went belly up. With the launch of 3e I started byuing it again, but found too few things to be worth it.

Dungeon I had bought from issue #1 from the LGS. When the reliability of the LGS became worse and worse, I finally subscribed to Dungeon. This subscription ended with the last print issue from Paizo.

I have a mediocre interest in the Adventure Paths. Availabilty in the shops was very bad, and I didn't want to pick just one random adventure and not being able to get the rest of the Path. The Paizo subscription prices for overseas were high, and when I ws really looking into it, the dollar to euro exchange ratio made it completely uninteresting.

I recently bought the first part of the Second Darkness AP to get an impression of the material. The quality of this adventure did nothing to renew my interest.

Now, I'm a DDI subscriber and not regretting it. The CB is the main part of DDI, Dragon and Dungeon are more like an added bonus.

Wicht

Hero
I was ready to begin a Dungeon Subscription when the license ended. I therefore subscribed to the AP before the first one was released and haven't looked back. I've been so satisfied with the APs that I was in the "goes where Paizo goes" camp of the edition switch.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I subscribe to all of the Paizo subscriptions, and have from the beginning.

They run their company very well, IMO, and I'm happy to support them.

jdeleski

First Post
I've been a collector of both magazines since they were first published and was impressed enough with Paizo's management of those publications that I immediately rolled my subscriptions into their AP's. I've been very pleased with the AP's, despite the higher pricing.

My only wish for Paizo's AP's is that they would extend the AP storylines to level 20 (they currently end at about level 15), where wondrous and amazing things would happen to/for my group's characters. My players never want to end their games at level 15--they want MORE!

I've always been satisfied with 3.X (minor quibbles aside), I've never tried 4E, and I plan to move my game to Paizo's Pathfinder based upon the good things that I've seen taking place.

J.

carmachu

Explorer
Need another option.

I subscribed to Dungeon (I have all 150 print issues), rolled it over to the Pathfinder Adventure Path and am still a subscriber.

Yeah this.

I let my dungeon and dragon lapse, digned back up for couple months of pathfinder subscription to go. Still subscribing because the world and adventures are intessting, and easy to mine for other things even if I never run them directly.

Picked up other subscriptions, compainion, advcenture, planet stories...

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
I had several years of dungeon and dragon subscriptions I had purchased, I chose the adventure paths because I had just enough credit for the first two series in their entirity. However, I won't be DMing 3.5 anymore so I didn't see the need to renew. I might buy some individual Pathfinder modules if I choose to DM pathfinder, but that's about it.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Interesting thread, folks. Thanks much for posting your thoughts, positive and negative. We certainly appreciate all of the support, both current and former, and we're always interested in ways we can improve our products to make them more appealing.

For the record, we're thrilled with the sales and subscription numbers for Pathfinder, though we'd always love them to be higher!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

ggroy

First Post
The quality of the Paizo adventure paths and chronicles background setting products does remind me of the many high quality 2nd edition AD&D era settings (before TSR imploded), as well as some of the earlier 3E/3.5E D&D era Forgotten Realms supplements (ie. before Eberron was released). After 2004 many of the FR supplements looked like they were kind of on the "superfluous" side, as if the authors just cribbed information from other 3E/3.5E books and substituted in some FR equivalents and lore. Some of the 3E/3.5E FR books even looked like as if they were generated by one of those online random dungeon/environment generators, with the authors filling in the details with FR fluff.

For the time being, Paizo appears to have filled the vacuum left behind by 2E AD&D and 3E/3.5E D&D for higher quality settings and adventures.

I will most likely continue to purchase the Paizo adventure paths, chronicles and companion background setting products for my ongoing 4E game. I will probably jump off the Paizo "treadmill" if their products start to move into the superfluous territory that FR strayed into after 2004. I felt Eberron started to stray into superfluous territory in 2007 towards the end of the 3.5E era (ie. Dragons of Ebberon, City of Stormreach, etc ...).

I suppose an RPG product line moving into "superfluous territory" would be similar to a television show "jumping the shark".

Jumping the shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopefully the writers, designers, and management at Paizo will not let their products "jump the shark" and move into superfluous territory.

Remove ads