• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder | AGE System] Midgard Campaign Setting

Matt James

Game Developer
I love how the setting has a more grittier and grim feel--as far as traditional fantasy. I actually like the name Midgard, though I admit it's not really a deal breaker for me.

This patron project also offers the option to get in and get your voice heard. Wolfgang's unique medium for opening these projects allows people to help mold the direction of the world. One does not need to have game design or writing experience, yet can help influence it's direction. It's quite awesome to see in action.

Filcher

First Post
Can someone confirm this isn't Nordic? If so, that is a bummer. I'm sure the material will be great but I may have been misled by the title.

"Have you seen the campaign setting Apache Nations? It is set in mythic Africa."

Last edited:

Matt James

Game Developer
Midgard, by the nature of the setting (Zobeck, et al.) is heavily influenced by Nordic and Germanic lore and myths. The project just kicked off, so I'm not sure how it will all end up.

This is my 4th OD project and I am def very excited. I said the last one was my last because I cannot devote the time to them I want... but it was too enticing. As to cliché, yes there is that quasi-copy of the real world feel (like Warhammer and many other settings) but what sets Midgard (called that cos it is what Wolfgang called his home campaign world which, I guess, started in the norsey part of it) apart is how those so-called clichés are presented and how they integrate real world mythology- which settings do poorly. Just reading the heading forum section on the Steppes got me excited, and I thought I would want the 7 cities first!

Anyway OD is great fun even if you end up as a lurker most of the time like me, but it is great when you put an idea in and see it picked up and moulded and turned into a professional product... a real sense of achievement

terraleon

Explorer
There's two major draws to patron projects:

1. You get the chance to help contribute to the project if you want. How much you can contribute is dependent on your level of patronage, but all patrons can playtest, all patrons can review and brainstorm, all patrons get to comment on the material and voice opinions while it's being created. No where else do you get that option.

2. For the price of entry, you're getting an 18 month class in design, with essays, commentary, feedback on pitches, an insight into the process of creation. If you've *ever* wanted to see how game or setting design works, this is the time and place. And 18 months of content for $30 (US) is crazy.

And Wolfgang's a veteran of TSR, a former editor of the treeware Dragon and Dungeon magazines, designer, developer and multi-edition/system supporter. He's got Jeff Grubb on board. Brandon Hodge is a *machine* who generates dense, detail rich material.

So that's what it comes down to-- are you looking for a new setting and want to help shape it? You should join. Are you looking to learn how to be a better designer? You should join.

This is my fourteenth patron project with Open Design. It's where I cut my teeth and learned what it takes to do design right. I'm biased like that, but I think it's well-earned.

-Ben.

Last edited:

slwoyach

First Post
It is definitely not solely nordic.

For instance, Green Ronin's Freeport offically will exist in this world.

However, Matt James is correct above. It draws heavily on germanic literature (e.g. Baba Yaga).

The most nordic area of the world has been detailed in a sourcebook that has just about been finished (I believe it is in final layout):

Check here: http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/front-page6239.php
and here: http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/front-page5640.php

Baba Yaga isn't Nordic, it's Slavic.

LurkMonkey

First Post
I know I am psyched for this. OD has been designing some of the best 3pp content for any system. To have a chance to weigh in on an entire campaign world that will more than likely be popular for decades for less than the price of a dinner for two is a good bargain IMHO.

Now I just have to find time to chime in ....

Last edited:

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
There's two major draws to patron projects:

1. You get the chance to help contribute to the project if you want. How much you can contribute is dependent on your level of patronage, but all patrons can playtest, all patrons can review and brainstorm, all patrons get to comment on the material and voice opinions while it's being created. No where else do you get that option.

2. For the price of entry, you're getting an 18 month class in design, with essays, commentary, feedback on pitches, an insight into the process of creation. If you've *ever* wanted to see how game or setting design works, this is the time and place. And 18 months of content for $30 (US) is crazy.

And Wolfgang's a veteran of TSR, a former editor of the treeware Dragon and Dungeon magazines, designer, developer and multi-edition/system supporter. He's got Jeff Grubb on board. Brandon Hodge is a *machine* who generates dense, detail rich material.

So that's what it comes down to-- are you looking for a new setting and want to help shape it? You should join. Are you looking to learn how to be a better designer? You should join.

This is my fourteenth patron project with Open Design. It's where I cut my teeth and learned what it takes to do design right. I'm biased like that, but I think it's well-earned.

-Ben.

I think we all agree that the authors are top-notch and that open design works really well and is more than worth the money you put into.

The question was, what does the setting right now bring to the table that makes it different. Honestly, and i don't want to sound like a broken record, "based on home campaign" and "integrates real-world cultures" and "gritty" are not exactly things which are hard to find when searching for a setting nowadays.

But perhaps it is moot to answer that question before the design process is really running full steam.

deinol

First Post
Right now the world is mostly a blank slate, except for Zobeck which has a lot of material developed for it. The advantage of a project like this is active patrons can contribute a lot to the discussion and set the course of design.

We are currently discussing the Seven Cities area, which in broad strokes is an Italian city-state analog. As we develop the world we bring a lot of details. Minotaur corsairs from Triolo, a grand library in Friula, the harvest cult in Trombei.

Projects like these are cool because collaboration design means a lot of ideas are looked at and only the best are used. It's really thrilling to look back and see the impact you've personally made on a project. If you let others do the work, the final product may or may not suit your needs. If you get in there and help, it'll become your world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads