Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Beginner Unboxing

Stormonu

Legend
I love starter sets and this looks like a pretty good setup. Covering 5 levels is really nice (though to me Moldvay basic set is the gold standard to compare to). Of course, I've already got one on order and can't wait to crack it open.

I do have to say I'm leery, though. I felt really burned with the 4E red box, and I cringe at the idea of counters thanks to flashbacks of the 90's TSR beginner set(s). It looks like they took a lot of ideas from the 4E set, and it will be interesting to compare how the come across compared to WotC's attempt.

Too bad though they couldn't include a set of the Pathfinder minis for at least the player characters. Yeah, I know you can buy them separately, but it'd been really, really cool if it came with them.

Asmo

First Post
No pencils for the flip-mat? And more dice! (if you want to start to play at once with a group)

Asmo

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
That looks awesome. Pretty much exactly how I think a beginner set should look.

The only remaining question I have concerns how much they've simplified the rules: how much will a person have to re-learn when the graduate to the 'real' game?

Oh, actually, one more: when is the Expert Box coming out? :)

IronWolf

blank
The only remaining question I have concerns how much they've simplified the rules: how much will a person have to re-learn when the graduate to the 'real' game?

I think with the Beginner Box they just don't delve into certain areas like AoO and Combat Maneuvers and such. So as one's grasp as the ruleset improves they can move into the full Pathfinder system and just tack on AoO, Combat Maneuvers, increased spell lists, feats, etc.

So I wouldn't expect much relearning, though AoO might be a slight adjustment depending on their habits during combat movement.

delricho said:
Oh, actually, one more: when is the Expert Box coming out? :)

It's already out. It is the core rulebook! ;)

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'm trying to figure out of my children are too young to play it. I'd be happy to DM a game for mom and the girls. It's never to early to transform my children into nerds!

Dark Mistress

First Post
How old are they? Though really, attention span seems more key than age sometimes!

I agree attention span I think is a lot more important than age. Plus maturity which usually goes hand and hand with attention span. I had a friend who taught his 8 year old daughter to play no problems but his nephew who was 10 wouldn't sit still long enough.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
My oldest is almost 8, and my middle is 5. I'm mostly concerned at this point with their ability to read and comprehend the rules, but again, I figure if I can keep the action engaging, and mom can help them read the rules and roll the dice, they might have a fun time.

IronWolf

blank
My oldest is almost 8, and my middle is 5. I'm mostly concerned at this point with their ability to read and comprehend the rules, but again, I figure if I can keep the action engaging, and mom can help them read the rules and roll the dice, they might have a fun time.

With my kids I have usually just taught them at the table. I also have done similar to what the Beginner Box is going to do as well - we don't use AoOs and limit combat maneuvers.

The oldest who is almost 8 I started playing with at age 6 in this fashion. He has a great attention span though, is mature for his age and is sort of a geek like his Dad. He's been just fine with the game and knows the basics pretty well at this point. I've also had him help me test combat from a few other systems as well and he usually picks that up very quickly.

My youngest I started letting her roll some dice and hang out while we play. She's four. She knows nothing of the rules, but rolls the dice and participates in the story for about the first 60 to 90 minutes.

I think it is worth a shot. Just do as you have already noted, keep the action exciting and I bet it goes well. This Beginners Box should be perfect for you!

Remove ads