• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Bestiary - Discussion

Roman

First Post
Wanna hear the stupid reason why this happened?

Originally, the hydra had a Dex of 13. But then, at the semi last minute, there was a decision to make sure that all monsters in the book had 3 odd and 3 even ability scores, so that the idea would be that all monsters have a base of 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 11 in their statistics line before their racial mods got applied and resulted in the set of stats that each monster ended up having.

When someone went through the book, I'm relatively sure they just dropped a 13 Dex down to 12 for the hydra, thinking "There's no difference really between the two since both 12 and 13 give a +1 bonus," but didn't stop to think that they were making the hydra not qualify for Combat Reflexes.

It's frustrating, especially since monsters are SO complex that when late-in-the-game changes are mandated things can get all messed up in ways folks don't predict.

The way I'd solve this is by giving the hydra back his 13 Dex and reducing another, "SAFER" odd numbered stat down by 1 point. That way it still qualifies for Combat Reflexes.

He, he, he - pretty funny story. I can see how it could cause a problem, even if it didn't in this case. This is one of the reasons why I would advocate a system where each point in the stat changes the bonus. Of course, that is only hypothetically speaking, since it would be too much of a change for Pathfinder, given its goals.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
No it would stay what it was inhuman form. But in animal or wererat form it would be bumped up. And any stats that where higher in human form saty the higher stats not the animal one

That I knew. I wasn't sure if the listed ability score modifiers stack with the changes from being in hybrid/animal form or not.

Looking it over again, I think they do. So in other words, the person uses their original stats in human form, while in hybrid/animal form any stats that are higher for the base animal are used instead, and the listed ability score modifiers are always applied after those.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Another minor issue with the PRD (you can tell I'm using this online a lot!):

The link for aberrations in Table: Creature Statistics by Type (under Monster Creation) goes to the monster list by type, rather than the Aberration listing in Creature Types, which is where the other links in that table go. Also, nitpicky, the main PRD menu says "Creatures Types" instead of "Creature Types." ;)

freyar

Here's a fun change I just noticed in Swallow Whole (my emphasis in bold):

PRD said:
Swallow Whole (Ex) If a creature with this special attack begins its turn with an opponent grappled in its mouth (see Grab), it can attempt a new combat maneuver check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category smaller than the swallowing creature. Being swallowed causes a creature to take damage each round. The amount and type of damage varies and is given in the creature's statistics. A swallowed creature keeps the grappled condition, while the creature that did the swallowing does not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is equal to 1/10 the creature's total hit points), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + 1/2 its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity. If a swallowed creature cuts its way out, the swallowing creature cannot use swallow whole again until the damage is healed. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker's mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again.

Format: swallow whole (5d6 acid damage, AC 15, 18 hp); Location: Special Attacks.

Well, the first italicized bit is just a design standardization change, which is nice. But the second one is interesting -- no more muscular action closing the hole! :D

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Here's a fun change I just noticed in Swallow Whole (my emphasis in italics):

Well, the first italicized bit is just a design standardization change, which is nice. But the second one is interesting -- no more muscular action closing the hole! :D

Italics in italics doesn't really show up, I think you need to use underline or bold or something else.:)

frankthedm

First Post
I am not keen on the notion of cutting holes out of flesh and blood creatures while they still have HP. The damage causing the victim to be vomited up is one thing, but a hole big enough to let someone out :hmm:.

freyar

I am not keen on the notion of cutting holes out of flesh and blood creatures while they still have HP. The damage causing the victim to be vomited up is one thing, but a hole big enough to let someone out :hmm:.
Well, that's hp as an abstraction for you. But it's better than the hole just closing up! (And not really doing that hp damage to the creature.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads