• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder beta questions

daddystabz

Explorer
I am getting ready to start playing in a Pathfinder beta campaign and I'm still trying to decide between a few classes what I want to play out of the box. I am trying to decide between Paladin, Fighter, Druid, Monk, or Sorceror. I was kind of leaning toward a melee character but am unsure how good they are in general in Pathfinder.

I know that in D&D 3.5 Wizards vastly were more powerful than melee characters at high levels. Does Pathfinder address this problem at all and do fighters/monks get outshined by wizards in the high levels?

azhrei_fje

First Post
Um, perhaps you should download the rule book and read it? Then you'd know.

In general the classes are much better balanced. The sorceror might be a little over the top with the bloodline abilities (who wouldn't want the draconic bloodline?), but the fighter and paladin in my playtest campaign are doing just fine. In fact, even the monk has been holding his own in combat. Some of the druid builds can be very powerful in melee if you're careful.

But really, just pick one and play it. If you're in the game to max out every possible feature of rules then I shouldn't be advising you. And if you're in the game to have fun while role-playing and slaying dragons, it won't really matter what class you choose. :)

daddystabz

Explorer
First off, I did download the beta and started reading it last night to prepare for the campaign. Secondly, my goal was to ask some questions I've been wondering about to more experienced people with Pathfinder to kind of see what I am getting myself into.

I'll refrain from being snarky and just say, yes I think they are trying to tone down some of the classes that were over the top in higher levels. The reduction of save or die effects definitely lessens things a bit for the wizard. Overall I am encouraged by what I've seen Pathfinder/Paizo doing with 3.75.

The beta version is also different from the final version coming out at Gencon 2009. They have been playtesting the beta version (one you downloaded) for awhile and found some things that worked and others that didnt. So check out the beta and it will give you a general idea. I think the one coming out this fall (final version and a hardback copy of the book) will be a 'win'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads