• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder] Class adaptation comments please.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
My group is currently playing the Savage Tide AP. We are interested in migrating to the Pathfinder RPG playtest. However, one of my players if very attached to her swashbuckler. I know that the idea of the playtest is to try out the rules as written. On the other hand, I do not want to disappoint my players. I have therefore tried to create a Swashbuckler class, inspired by the PRPG-Rogue, the PRPG-Fighter and the Swashbuckler class from the Complete Warrior.

I know turn to the knowledgeable masses of ENWorld to review my work and try to detect galring errors, potential balance problems (especially compared to the Pathfinder base classes), etc.

Your comments are most definitely welcome.

SWASHBUCKLER
Abilities: The lightly armored swashbuckler depends on a high Dexterity for her Armor Class, as well as for many class skills. High Intelligence and Charisma scores are also hallmarks of a successful swashbuckler. Strength is not as important for a swashbuckler as it is for other melee combatants.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d10.
Class Skills
The swashbuckler’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Deception (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Knowledge (dungoneering) (Int), Profession (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Dex).
1st level Skill Choice: 4 + Int Modifier.
Table : The Swashbuckler
Code:
Level	BAB			Fort	Ref	Will	Special
1st 	+1			+2	+0	+0	Weapon finesse
2nd	+2			+3	+0	+0	Bonus feat
3rd	+3			+3	+1	+1	Swashbuckler talent
4th	+4			+4	+1	+1	Bonus feat
5th	+5			+4	+1	+1	Swashbuckler talent
6th	+6/+1			+5	+2	+2	Bonus feat
7th	+7/+2			+5	+2	+2	Swashbuckler talent
8th	+8/+3			+6	+2	+2	Bonus feat
9th	+9/+4			+6	+3	+3	Swashbuckler talent
10th	+10/+5			+7	+3	+3	Bonus feat
11th	+11/+6/+1		+7	+3	+3	Advanced talents, swashbuckler talent
12th	+12/+7/+2		+8	+4	+4	Bonus feat
13th	+13/+8/+3		+8	+4	+4	Swashbuckler talent
14th	+14/+9/+4		+9	+4	+4	Bonus feat
15th	+15/+10/+5		+9	+5	+5	Swashbuckler talent
16th	+16/+11/+6/+1		+10	+5	+5	Bonus feat
17th	+17/+12/+7/+2		+10	+5	+5	Swashbuckler talent
18th	+18/+13/+8/+3		+11	+6	+6	Bonus feat
19th	+19/+14/+9/+4		+11	+6	+6	Swashbuckler talent
20th	+20/+15/+10/+1		+12	+6	+6	Blink of an Eye, bonus feat
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the swashbuckler.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Swashbucklers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor. Some of the swashbuckler features, as noted below, rely on her being no more than lightly armored and unencumbered.
Weapon Finesse (Ex): A swashbuckler gains Weapon Finesse at 1st level even if she does not qualify for the feat.
Bonus Feats: At every even level, a swashbuckler gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement (meaning that the fighter gains a feat at every level). These bonus feats must be selected from the following list: Acrobatics (PRPG), Agile Maneuvers (PRPG), Alertness (PRPG), Athletics (PRPG), Blind-Fight (SRD), Caught Off-Guard (Combat; PRPG), Combat Expertise (PRPG), Dazzling Display (Combat; PRPG), Deadly Stroke (Combat; PRPG), Defensive Combat Training (PRPG), Die Hard (SRD), Dodge (Combat; PRPG), Double-Slice (Combat; PRPG), Endurance (SRD), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (SRD), Greater Two Weapon Fighting (SRD), Greater Weapon Focus (SRD), Greater Weapon Specialization (SRD), Improved Critical (SRD), Improved Disarm (PRPG), Improved Feint (SRD), Improved Trip (PRPG), Improved Two Weapon Fighting (SRD), Iron Will (SRD), Leadership (SRD), Lightning Reflexes (SRD), Lightning Stance (Combat; PRPG), Mobility (Combat; PRPG), Persuasive (PRPG), Quick Draw (SRD), Razor Sharp Chair Leg (Combat; PRPG), Run (SRD), Spring Attack (Combat; PRPG), Stunned Defense (Combat; PRPG), Throw Anything (Combat; PRPG), Toughness (PRPG), Two Weapon Defense (SRD), Two Weapon Fighting (SRD), Two-Weapon Rend (Combat; PRPG), Weapon Focus (SRD), Weapon Specialization (SRD), Weapon Swap (Combat; PRPG), Wind Stance (Combat; PRPG). A swashbuckler must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.
Swashbuckler Talents: As a swashbuckler gains experience she learns a number of talents that aid her when confronting her foes. Starting at 2nd level, a swashbuckler gains one swashbuckler talent. She gains an additional swashbuckler talent for every 2 levels of swashbuckler. Unless specified, a swashbuckler cannot select an individual talent more than once.
Acrobatic Assault (Ex): A swashbuckler with this ability may charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking her path. This enables her to run down stairs, leap down from balconies, or jump over tables to reach her opponent. She may still need to make an Acrobatic check to successfully move over the difficult terrain, however.
Acrobatic Mobility (Ex): A swashbuckler with this ability is better at using her agility to move across the battle field. When using her Acrobatics skills to move past or through opponents without provoking an attack of opportunity, she gains a competence bonus of +5 to her skill check.
Combat Trick: A swashbuckler may gain a combat maneuver feat in place of a swashbuckler talent. This talent may be taken more than once.
Fast Movement (Ex): A swashbuckler may gain an enhancement bonus to her speed. She cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when encumbered with medium or heavy loads. She may take this ability multiple times, increasing her speed by 10 ft. each time.
Feint of the Blade (Ex): A swashbuckler is a master of the blade. With this talent you are able to make a feint as a free action instead of a move action. A swashbuckler must have Improved Feint before choosing feint of the blade.
Gracefulness (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +2 competence bonus on Reflex saves.
Knowledgeable Hit (Ex): A swashbuckler with this ability becomes able to finely place her attacks to maximize damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any), in addition to any Strength bonus she may have, to her damage rolls with any light weapon or a weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when encumbered with medium or heavy loads. Creatures that do not have a weak spot at all, due to their homogenous nature or near indestructible build are immune to this attack (ex. Elementals, oozes and some but not all undead).
Ledge Walker (Ex): This ability enables the swashbuckler to move along a narrow surface at full speed using Acrobatics without penalty.
Lucky (Ex): Once per day, a swashbuckler with this ability may reroll a failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. The second roll always overrides the original roll even if the result is worse.
Masterful Dodge (Ex): A swashbuckler is trained in defense. She gains a +2 dodge bonus to her AC until her next turn.
Reputation (Ex): A swashbuckler develops a reputation over time. This reputation enables her to intimidate or negociate more effectively. This ability may be chosen multiple times, each time granting a circumstance bonus of +2 to Intimidate and Diplomacy skill checks. This ability may be taken up to three times.
Resiliency (Ex): Once per day, a swashbuckler with this ability can gain a number of temporary hit points equal to her swashbuckler level. Activating this ability is an immediate action that can only be performed when she is brought below 0 hit points. This ability can be used to prevent her from dying. These temporary hit points last for 1 minute. If the swashbuckler’s hit points drop below 0 due to the loss of these temporary hit points, she falls unconscious and is dying as normal.
Stand Up (Ex): A swashbuckler with this ability can stand up from a prone position as a free action. This still provokes attacks of opportunity for standing up while threatened by a foe.
Tactical Threat (Ex): A swashbuckler is an expert at profiting from tense tactical situations. With this ability, she gains a +4 bonus to attack when flanking instead of the normal +2. Her allies do not gain this increased bonus.
Advanced Talents: On attaining 11th level and every odd level thereafter, a swashbuckler can chose one of the following advanced talents in place of a normal rogue talent.
Counterstrike (Ex): Always on the lookout for an opening, the swashbuckler holds back her full offensive power to be able to exploit a weakening in her opponents defenses. As a full-round action, she may make one melee attack at her highest base attack bonus. At any time before her next turn, she may take an immediate action to make a melee attack using her highest base attack bonus against an opponent that attacks here in melee.
Crippling Feint (Ex): Following a successful feint, a swashbuckler with this ability can attack opponent with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. The opponent damaged by this attack also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged abilities.
Defensive Blades (Ex): By choosing this ability, a swashbuckler using two weapons gain an extra +4 to her Armor Class. She must have the Two Weapon Fighting feat before choosing this defensive blades.
Feat: A swashbuckler may gain any bonus feat in place of a swashbuckler talent.
Greater Gracefulness (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +4 competence bonus to Reflex saves.
Greater Masterful Dodge (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +4 dodge bonus to her AC until her next turn.
King of the Blade (Ex): Your exploits have become legendary, so much so that a number of able men and women are ready to follow you into danger. They will demand no other compensation than a fair share of the booty. Treat this ability as the equivalent of the Leadership feat except that only followers and no cohorts are gained.
Opportunist (Ex): Once per round, the swashbuckler can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the swashbuckler’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even with the Combat Reflexes feat, she cannot use the opportunist ability more than once per round.
Skill Master (Ex): The swashbuckler becomes so experienced in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.
Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A swashbuckler may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply each time.
Strong Mind (Ex): A swashbuckler with this ability has a mind more difficult to control. If she fails her save against an enchantment spell or effect, she can attempt the save again 1 round later at the same DC (assuming she is still alive). She gets only one extra chance to succeed at a certain saving throw.
Blink of an Eye (Ex): Upon reaching 20th level, the swashbuckler may once per day double the number of melee attacks she makes while performing a full attack action. When fighting with two weapons, the swashbuckler also gains the benefit of the Great Cleave feat even if she does not meet the prerequisites. She may use this ability in conjunction with the haste spell granting her one extra attack.

Last edited:

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Lord Zack said:
It needs some kind of capstone I think. And maybe some advanced talents like the rogue.

Thank you for your comment. However, I am unsure what you mean by a "capstone".

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
A capstone is an ability that you gain at the very highest levels making it worthwhile to stick with the class. As for advanced talents, you might want to break them down into a couple of different categories, that way some of the talents from the higher categories can have quite a bit more power.

Otherwise, it looks like you are off to a good start.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
IuztheEvil said:
A capstone is an ability that you gain at the very highest levels making it worthwhile to stick with the class. As for advanced talents, you might want to break them down into a couple of different categories, that way some of the talents from the higher categories can have quite a bit more power.

Otherwise, it looks like you are off to a good start.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Thank you Jason for clarifying. I will certainly look into a way to include this. I was afraid of increasing the power level too such a level that the base classes would be loose in the blance. Seems I was a bit too stringent. :)

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
As per Lord Zack and Jason's suggestions, I have added a capstone (Blink of an Eye) and reworked the talents to include some advanced talents. The modified version is in the first post. As earlier, your comments are most welcomed.

Thank you.

Quartz

Hero
Just one question: with this swashbuckler in the game, why would anyone play a rogue? How about dropping the BAB to +3/4 and the HD to d8, but add a good Ref save?

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
ValhallaGH said:
Because you want to be a trap-dodging explorer, not a stand-up murder machine?
That and also, the swashbuckler does not get the sneak attack and many of the abilities related to it. His skill selection is much shorter (4+INT bonus vs 8+INT bonus). Finaly, in the Alpha version of the Rogue, there are abilities that are magical in nature which are unavailable to the swashbuckler.

As for the BAB/HD/Ref save, I appreciate the suggestion. However, the swashbuckler is a its base an agile fighter. It conjures up images of Zorro, the Three Musketeers, Pirates of the Caribeans, etc. If the increase in Ref saves may fit with this image, I do not think that the decrease in BAB and HD fit there, especially considering the reworking of the HDs in Pathfinder Alpha.

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
It seems nice, but only playtesting would reveal whether it is balanced. I think PFRGP will not ultimately have a swashbuckler class, since I doubt it is open content, so you will probably have to stick with your own class indefinitely anyway.

Remove ads