• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Class Question

Cavall

First Post
Having recently purchased Pathfinder (and really for 10 bucks on the site, who wouldn't?), I have just a couple questions.

Has there been many changes that I can't use older books still, and just keep the classes here? As in, if I play say a paladin here, is it going to make the bad guys in a 3.5 book too easy to kill? Will any class that is upgraded to pathfinder make 3.5 need conversion is what I want to know.

And two, have there been, or WILL there be any promise to continue to convert classes like say duskblade or dragon shaman or other non core classes to pathfinder? I really want to know.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
Most of the "non-core" classes are not open content, so Paizo cannot convert them to Pathfinder. That having been said, you may also want to check out the Advanced Player's Guide, which has the Cavalier, Summoner, Alchemist, Inquisitor, and Witch in it, which do help to bridge some of the niches of the non-core 3.5 classes.

There is a 3.5/Pathfinder conversion guide on Paizo's site that has some suggestions for using 3.5 material with Pathfinder. As a quick comment, figuring up CMB and CMB, and potentially boosting hit points and/or adding the Advanced template from the Bestiary helps out a lot when it comes to durability and balancing with Pathfinder changes.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
And two, have there been, or WILL there be any promise to continue to convert classes like say duskblade or dragon shaman or other non core classes to pathfinder? I really want to know.

The others have answered your first question with the Conversion Guide.

As far as your second question, the answer is "NO".

As KnightErrantJr. mentioned, Paizo published the Advanced Players Guide, which contains several new classes: Alchemist, Cavalier, Inquisitor, Oracle, Summoner, and Witch. With the upcoming Ultimate Magic the Magus class is being created. However, according to Paizo, there will be no more new classes. As per APG, you can create Archetypes of any of the existing classes to get thematic new classes out of the base classes.

Can you convert the Duskblade, Hexblade and other classes yourself? Certainly if you want to, but Paizo is not creating anymore new classes, nor any class conversions.

Also, many 3pp's are creating new classes for Pathfinder, however...

GP

frankthedm

First Post
As far as using wotc books to challenge PCs, it should work out fine. Just compare the newer CR standards Pathfinder uses and most things should be fine.

Dark Mistress

First Post
As far as the question about challenge. I would say if you are using old 3.5 mobs and such. Assume the PC's are 1 CR higher, that seems to be a good rule of thumb.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
The Archtype/Class variants in the AGP really do fill in a lot of the niches. Some of the newer 3.5 classes would not need much adjustment to adapt them over. For instance, Artificer (from Eberron) only needs the skills adopted over and a HD increase because the class was somewhat overpowered and extremely versital to begin with (in many ways, the Alchemist is the Pathfinder version of the Artificer). Bo9S just needs the Swordsage adapted by an increase in HD, and skills progression of the rogue; Crusader and Warblade just need skills adapted.

Instead of creating a ton of new classes and prestige classes (or mimicing WotC 3.5 classes), Paizo has been focusing on increasing the options for the base classes. Additional options for alternative class features will probably be up-and-coming for AGP classes (and Magus) in future books, as well as other cool things and alternate mechanics for ways to further customise the game.

coyote6

Adventurer
FWIW, the duskblade, dragon shaman, and other non-core classes from WotC aren't open content, so Paizo can't convert them without risking claims of IP infringement.

(Such claims might not stand up in court, but one doesn't have to lose a legal case to have the costs wreck one's business. Of course, WotC might not make any such claims -- but Paizo doesn't want to take any chances.)

concerro

Explorer
Having recently purchased Pathfinder (and really for 10 bucks on the site, who wouldn't?), I have just a couple questions.

Has there been many changes that I can't use older books still, and just keep the classes here? As in, if I play say a paladin here, is it going to make the bad guys in a 3.5 book too easy to kill? Will any class that is upgraded to pathfinder make 3.5 need conversion is what I want to know.

Pathfinder characters are stronger than a 3.5 one. You will probably have some converting to do. I would only do it for boss fights and other fights that are supposed to be difficult unless you have a lot of free time though. What and how to convert splat books is up to you. Some things fit in quiet easily, others, not so much.

Remove ads