Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder: Encounter Design Simplified

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Ye Auld Grump:

don't take this wrong, but i hope you get you chance to see the elegen of siplicity in the design.
Heh - I always prefer it when the players do things that I hadn't planned on. When they don't I cannot help but feel that either I was too predictable or the players were.

Mind you, in this instance doing what I expected was tactically sound. If they had charged headlong into hand to hand combat then I would have been surprised. :p

The Auld Grump

Gailbraithe

First Post
This is an amazingly useful tool Wulf, thanks for it. I'm writing an adventure for Pathfinder Alpha/Beta, and this is a lot easier on my brain than other methods presented.

The only thing that would make this perfect is if it could account for terrain and environment modifications, which it easily could if such things were assigned CRs. So that one could easily determine the difference between fighting 3 orcs and fighting 3 orcs in a cavern that's collapsing and raining rocks on everyone's head.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The only thing that would make this perfect is if it could account for terrain and environment modifications, which it easily could if such things were assigned CRs. So that one could easily determine the difference between fighting 3 orcs and fighting 3 orcs in a cavern that's collapsing and raining rocks on everyone's head.

AND it should provide backrubs to DMs....

Gailbraithe

First Post
AND it should provide backrubs to DMs....

That's what players are for!

No, but seriously, I've been thinking about this. Look at the Hazards in Tome of Horror. These are non-creatures/terrain features with CRs. Most of them are basically "Anything within 30' must Save or be affected by effect."

CR 1/4 - DC 15 Save, 1d6 damage, once, targets single square
CR 1 - DC 15 Save, 2d6 damage, once, targets single square
CR 2 - DC 15 Save, 3d6 damage, once, targets single square
CR 2 - DC 12 Save, sleep effect, delayed suffocation effect, continuous, 10' radius
CR 3 - DC 15 Save, fear effect (1d6 rounds), continuous, 30' radius
CR 5 - object contact, DC 15 Spot or 4d6 hour delay then 2d6 CON damage/round til dead :confused:
CR 6 - Spot DC 25, Poison DC 15 Save 2d6 Con/2d6 Con, rise as vegepygmy

Then look at the DMG, which rates Cave-Ins as a CR 8 challenge.
Under collapsed area: 8d6 damage, DC 15 Reflex for half, character is buried.
In slide zone: 3d6 damage, DC 15 Reflex for none, failed save means character is buried.
buried: 1d6 nonlethal/minute til unconscious, then DC 15 Con check or 1d6/minute til dead

There ought to be some sort of discernible pattern to all this nonsense that could be used to generate CRs for terrain effects -- which really just amount to skill checks, saves, and penalizing effects -- which could then be used in Wulf's system.

Under the original 3.5 system, it's hard to take a terrain effect like slippery ice into account in a battle between several adventurers of mixed levels, and several creatures, especially when the terrain effect is CR 2 and the creatures are (4, 7, 8) while the players are (5, 7, 7, 9). Wulf's system could account for it easily.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Well, I have been using it about every other week or so - it seems to work just fine. :) No TPKs at this point, which is always a good thing, and the adventures seem to balance out.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads