Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder: Encounter Design Simplified

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
Jason and I had a meeting about this system on Friday. It is very impressive on about three different levels, and I commend you for it.

I hope my Medal of Commendation looks an awful lot like a Pathfinder compatibility logo. :D

ruemere said:
Suggestions:
- tie the system to CRs instead of abstract xp numbers.
- introduce properties reflecting monsters weaknesses and strengths (Girallon entry could look similar to this: CR 6, strengths: melee, weakness: ranged, will save).
I like this part. It seems to be similar to the 4E idea behind the monster roles like Brute/Soldier/Artillery/Leader/Controller

It's not exactly a power measure, but a "synergy measure". Okay, you can run two Brutes against the PCs - but a Brute and a Leader or Controller might be a lot more interesting (or challenging?)

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
ruemere said:
(warning: very imho)

Summarizing:
- nice, but complicated,
- does not seem to improve CRs,
- does not support monsters from other OGL products.

Pathfinder Table 12-3 has XP values for all CRs, so any CR-valued monster is supported.

Wulf's system is simplifying Tables 12-1 and 12-2 in Pathfinder and it does.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Zaister said:
What this thing about "Trailblazer"? Am I missing somehing here? :)

I'd love to give everyone a sneak peek at the cover, but, purdy as it is, it still feels like it's missing something.

An enterprising and curious sort of fellow could find it, nevertheless.

ruemere

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I like this part. It seems to be similar to the 4E idea behind the monster roles like Brute/Soldier/Artillery/Leader/Controller

It's not exactly a power measure, but a "synergy measure". Okay, you can run two Brutes against the PCs - but a Brute and a Leader or Controller might be a lot more interesting (or challenging?)
According to basic definition of CR, it was meant to allow to build encounters tailored to PCs' resources. Unfortunately, monsters were not created equal and, given differing power levels of various campaigns, and given that sometimes parties were not balanced as per canonical four, CRs were reduced only to vague guidelines instead of a solid system.

Girallon is a classic example of such problem. Should the players exploit its weaknesses, it is rather easy to overcome... however, place the encounter in a small room or allow the Girallon to suprise the party, and someone is going to bleed a lot.

That's why, instead of a new system, I would advocate rebalancing and extending CR system. By rebalancing I mean building standard PC characters (standard ability spread) according to the following varieties:
- Melee Fighter - fighter focusing on heavy armor use, weapon and shield.
- Ranged Fighter - fighter focusing on light to medium armor and ranged weapon.
- Sneak Attack and Skilled Rogue - rogue focused on hiding, sneaking attacking.
- Healer Cleric - cleric who buffs and heals his allies.
- Blaster Mobile Sorcerer - sorcerer who knows how to teleport, use invisibility and blast with spells.

And measuring CR against one of these. Also, best match would be also recorded along with its strengths and weaknesses.

Regards,
Ruemere

ruemere

Adventurer
Gotham Gamemaster said:
Pathfinder Table 12-3 has XP values for all CRs, so any CR-valued monster is supported.

Wulf's system is simplifying Tables 12-1 and 12-2 in Pathfinder and it does.
I stand corrected with regard to support for 3rd party monsters. I'm still not convinced that the system is simpler or more reliable than original CRs.

Regards,
Ruemere

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
ruemere said:
I stand corrected with regard to support for 3rd party monsters. I'm still not convinced that the system is simpler or more reliable than original CRs.

Regards,
Ruemere

Ok, you sit down and design a challenging encounter for a party of 5 consisting of 3 PCs at 8th level, one 7th, and one 6th; encounter consisting of one CR8 boss, two CR5, and a smattering of CR2s.

We'll see who finishes faster.

Remove ads