• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Experiences

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I'm curious about a few things:

Has anyone used the prestige classes from the Pathfinder Campaign setting with the final Pathfinder rules? Can they be used as is, or is tweaking needed? I'm guessing things are close enough they can be used as is (the feats from the same book, too?).

What about the adventure paths? I'm looking at Curse of the Crimson Throne, Legacy of Fire, and Council of Thieves right now and wondering if its worthwhile to invest in all three (I realize new characters will be needed for each), or if any stand heads above the others.

Council of Thieves is designed to be run with the Pathfinder Core Rules (it's the first one that doesn't need any "tweaking").

Good stuff too (says the 4E player/DM who wants to try Pathfinder...)

prongbuck

Explorer
I am currently running my group through the first adventure path, Rise of the Runelords, and I am having tons of fun running it and my players are having just as much fun playing it. I have spent some time rebuilding some of the baddies although in all honesty they are close enough that you could just wing it with things like CMB and CMD and be just fine.

My players aren't high enough level for Prestige Classes yet so I have no experience there. I think my group could probably run them as they are written because they aren't overly concerned with their stats/attack bonueses/etc. (and I take this into account with monsters) but if you have any min/maxers in your group then I think you might notice that the PrC's from the campaign setting are underpowered compared to the Pathfinder ones.

I ordered the first Council of Thieves adventure, along with the Empire of Cheliax book, but haven't received them yet so I can't comment on how good the adventure looks.

Having tons of fun with Rise of the Runelords though, for what that is worth.

Sylrae

First Post
We just started up a a campaign using the Second Darkness campaign path.

The players just reached level 2.

So far there haven't been any imbalance issues, but we're not high enough level to use PrCs yet.

I use some houserules, and most of the Trailblazer stuff too though. So there are some small(ish) changes.
Main Houserules:
1. Trailblazer spellcasting and changes.
2. Trailblazer Version Action Points.
3. Exp by session/plot, not by encounter: I've had alot of issues where players are often not all present for the same challenges (they tend to split up alot and run off and do things by themselves, or split into two groups, or w/e.)
4. Abilities: Cha determines Will Save, as to make it less of a dump stat.
Skills: Half listed value + 1, +Int + Wis.
5. HD as in 3.5, not as in PFRPG. (but with 13-18 Bonus Hp at level 1 based on CON)
6. Fractional BAB and Saves, for multiclassing purposes. (it works out pretty much the same in a single classed character).
7. Healing Potions are cheap: We have no cleric.

I don't know how other people tend to run it, but I've been doing full conversions of things as much as possible, and then on-the-fly conversions for the things I didn't have time to convert.

My conversions look like Second Darkness pages that never got printed (with font inconsistencies), so they tend to take me longer.

If you're converting, I'd suggest you keep a few things in mind:

1. Convert important NPCs first. Weak monsters and things such as 'riddleport thief' will be crappy enough as to have few differences. Convert BBEGs and important NPCs first, and do it in the order theyre coming up.
2. You won't be able to follow Pathfinder XP progressions. Maybe the fast one, but even that is slower than 3.5e. You'll end up with either weak PCs or inconsistencies like giving the PCs too many Action Points, because you were thinking they would need to go longer between levels, then realize they won't be powerful enough for x upcoming fight if you dont level them faster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads