• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Immortality - Legitimate Gameplay Methods

There is a route to coming back in the far future:

Imprisonment and then something to end it when you want to come back. I wouldn't have a problem with a wizard developing a time-limited version of it, either.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
There are more than one deity dedicated to keeping people from living indefinitely. In my world I even have a specific divine assassin class whose sole purpose is to identify and end the lives of anyone outliving their normal life spans, even if such people aren't evil in nature. Short of some kind of divine ascension, I as a GM wouldn't even allow a player to gain such an ageless condition beyond what the standard rules allow.

In my published setting of Kaidan (Japanese horror), if you're a 20th level tengu, you can be immortal as long as you stay on the mountain where your shrine exists. As long as you don't leave the confines of your mountain retreat, you cannot die. However, if you leave the premises, you age at 10 times the normal rate. So even when I allow such a circumstance, there are huge negatives for doing so.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Since he's a monk, make him a Monk of the Four Winds. They gain Immortality as a capstone ability.

APG said:
Immortality (Su)
At 20th level, a monk of the four winds no longer ages. He remains in his current age category forever. Even if the monk comes to a violent end, he spontaneously reincarnates (as the spell) 24 hours later in a place of his choosing within 20 miles of the place he died. The monk must have visited the place in which he returns back to life at least once.

This ability replaces perfect self.

Trunklord

First Post
Since he's a monk, make him a Monk of the Four Winds. They gain Immortality as a capstone ability.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. I was looking for a way (and got the flu and fought with that for a week) to pull something like this off. For the character sheet I use for my monk, I normally would have left this off and just played him until he passed on. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one of my circle of friends/Pathfinder Buddies that can play a wise old man and NOT be Mr. Miyagi.

But this "Monk of The Four Winds" thing is going to help out with my friend's campaign. Who better than to provide seemingly-useless insight that takes a bit to figure out than the old man who's lived for a long time.

The only problem I see from a personal standpoint is the spontaneous reincarnation. That might get annoying.

Nigh Invulnerable

First Post
This is pretty much what I'm looking for. I was looking for a way (and got the flu and fought with that for a week) to pull something like this off. For the character sheet I use for my monk, I normally would have left this off and just played him until he passed on. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one of my circle of friends/Pathfinder Buddies that can play a wise old man and NOT be Mr. Miyagi.

But this "Monk of The Four Winds" thing is going to help out with my friend's campaign. Who better than to provide seemingly-useless insight that takes a bit to figure out than the old man who's lived for a long time.

The only problem I see from a personal standpoint is the spontaneous reincarnation. That might get annoying.

The spontaneous reincarnation is just a means of avoiding death. Sure, it could be annoying to have your character have to rejoin the party, but you come back anywhere within 20 miles of your "death" with all your same levels and powers. No biggie.

Trunklord

First Post
The spontaneous reincarnation is just a means of avoiding death. Sure, it could be annoying to have your character have to rejoin the party, but you come back anywhere within 20 miles of your "death" with all your same levels and powers. No biggie.

If anything, I'll just tone it down to basic "Can't age, can't leave current age group." as opposed to the spontaneous reincarnation. I've had bad experiences with a "friend" who would make characters that could do that, and I hated how I had to expend my most powerful abilities and/or items to keep the guy dead. That's kinda stuck with me, and I don't like characters that can come back that easily.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Look up Sun Orchid Elixir - even that discovery above doesn't say you don't die when you hit max age, just that you have no aging penalties. Sun orchid elixir, however, resets you to young adult age with all your experience intact. Plus, the way it's written in the lore, it's already an epic quest to get one of those from Thuvia:
http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Sun_orchid_elixir

sr123

First Post
If it fits with the thematic nature of what you are getting at, how about something like an enchanted object that holds your age - The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Starfox

Hero
Immortality is one of these things the rules often leave deliberately nebolous. The answer, for me, is that immortality is a setting issue. In some settings, the DM may have no problem with immortal characters. In others, it is reserved fro just a few, for the undead, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads