• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder in a modern or futuristic setting with psionics

I actually think there's something to this. Not everything has to be psionic, but Vancian magic maps better to technology than most magic systems anyway.

A "wizard" charging up a bunch of technological tricks in the morning that can be used quickly after that, but each only once? I mean, it doesn't model real science, but there's definitely a logic to it.

- The supercapacitor is only good for one use, and has to recharge overnight.
- Need more power cells/hydrogen/special fuel
- Only had one round of "fireball" ammo left
- Mental strain of a psychokinetic lightning blast is too great -- you can release one or two, but need eight hours rest for the brain to recuperate

Etc ...

Derren

Hero
- The supercapacitor is only good for one use, and has to recharge overnight.
- Need more power cells/hydrogen/special fuel
- Only had one round of "fireball" ammo left
- Mental strain of a psychokinetic lightning blast is too great -- you can release one or two, but need eight hours rest for the brain to recuperate

Etc ...

Which always leaves the question open why you don't simply buy/build more of them or why you need a special "class" to use them.

Matthias

Explorer
There may be a bit of conflation between "modern/sci-fi" and "realistic" here. The former does not necessarily require the latter - you can have a modern or future setting with all sorts of weird unrealistic stuff going on, or one which is grounded in reality. Just look at Star Trek, or James Bond, or Agents of SHIELD.

Would it be correct to say you're looking for realism?

Well, 'realism' in a modern-setting RPG is a tricky thing. There's also entertainment value, playability, and mechanical flavor to consider.

Matthias

Explorer
Well, I've come to terms with the fact that Pathfinder as a game system is too tightly integrated with traditional magic to be able to easily convert to an arrangement that leaves out the spellcasting classes.

So here's my thoughts on how to include psionics without surrendering too much on the "pathfinder modern" setting I want to build.

My setting uses all the races from Advanced Race Guide (I should be able to find a place for all of them), plus the races from Dreamscarred Press' psionic books.

Humans and humanoids with the Human subtype don't have access to any kind of arcane magic, but they can use any psionics class from DSP's sourcebooks. Technically, humans can take any class with spellcasting ability, but never gain the Spells class feature of those classes (nor Cantrips, Orisons, or similar 0-level magics). Templates might override this restriction. Aasimar, tieflings, half-elves, half-orcs, and other hybrids have normal casting abilities. Some of the DSP races may also be barred from arcane spellcasting but that's TBD. None of this applies to divine magic; divine casters are mostly unheard of among the mainstream human population--but for every thousand human beings who claim to have actual power, there have always been a handful whose abilities are genuine (albeit still quite weak and not nearly as flashy, by most races' standards).

Arcane magic and psionics are similar disciplines but differ in the power source, which influences what effects are possible with each discipline. Arcane magic is powered by extraplanar energies. Psionics is powered by thought, spirit energy, or ki.

Divine magic is obtained by true belief in the gods (clerics and oracles), nature as a deity unto itself (druids and rangers), or a philosophical system (paragons, crusaders, blackguards, and renegades). The gods and their semi-divine servants do not interfere in mortal affairs, do not visit the material plane in avatar form, but can grant spells to their followers even over billions of light-years.

Remove ads