• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E "Pathfinder" is the name bad marketing in the internet era?

Leontodon

First Post
Just googled pathfinder and noticed something odd in the hitlist. without adding tags like "rpg" or "paizo" it appears pretty much out of sight on google. Logical since it has to compete with the Nissan Pathfinder and Pathfinder- the movie. So did Paizo think that name throughly through under marketing aspects? :cool:

Dungeons and Dragons certainly does not have the problem.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Dungeons and Dragons has 35 years of Brand-Building.

Pathfinder, unfortunately, is a more common word, and as a trademark/identifier for a specific game is less obvious. ("Pathfinding" for instance is a key to developing computer games).

But then again, give it time to build.

S'mon

Legend
I agree - it's a weak name in that it doesn't show on search engines. OSRIC has the same problem, whereas eg Labyrinth Lord shows up fine - and I expect LL has a lot less publicity than Pathfinder.

pawsplay

Hero
When I google it, the first hit is the Nissan and the next two are the RPG. I don't see what you're talking about. Also, "pathfinder rpg" shows up as the third suggestion when I start typing "pathfinder" into Google.

Aus_Snow

First Post
First page of Google results from a Pathfinder RPG search were *all* to do with, yes, you guessed it, the Pathfinder RPG. First link was to Paizo's PFRPG page, not surprisingly.

So, even if people haven't already heard of any other Pathfinder branding, they might search the '+RPG' way to begin with, or certainly, if their initial search produces nothing good, it might occur to them as an option, the second go.

Oh, and interestingly, a Google search for Dungeons & Dragons brought up DDO as the first link, for me. :lol: Strange days indeed. . .

D&D gave me the WotC [4e] page, sure enough, but about half of the first page of results were nothing to do with D&D at all, IIRC. Still, first link up is the important thing.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I get the rpg right at the top.

As you type, the list of possible guesses at what your typing comes from your browser.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Keep in mind, anybody who is intelligent enough to use a search engine would likely know how to add terms to narrow this stuff down. Anybody searching for "bleach" and who wanted the Anime/Manga instead of Clorox or Teeth Whitening stuff can just type in Bleach Manga or Bleach Soul Reaper or whatever.

I don't think the first goal of creating a Brand Name/Trademark should be "being number 1 on Google".

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just googled pathfinder and noticed something odd in the hitlist. without adding tags like "rpg" or "paizo" it appears pretty much out of sight on google.

When I did it just now, the game came up seventh link on the page. Not top, but still first page.

Logical since it has to compete with the Nissan Pathfinder and Pathfinder- the movie. So did Paizo think that name throughly through under marketing aspects?

There is more to the marketing aspects of a name than what hit comes up in Google. If Google is your only (or even main) marketing measure, you aren't really engaged in marketing.

darjr

I crit!
Ah, google does something about your past searches based on your IP and account, if you have one.

I've tried the search several different ways, from a goofball ip off the internet somewheres, from my ip I normally use, and logged in and not.

the results google gives me changes based on those factors. Reliably changes, alot in some cases.

I didn't know they did this to such an extent. I wonder what it would be like without my search history saved by them.

Tervin

First Post
It is a badly chosen name, as it does not give an image of what the game is about. Even if you realise that it is a Fantasy RPG, it does sound more like a game about being druids and rangers in the wilderness, than the generic thingy that it is.

Remove ads