• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E "Pathfinder" is the name bad marketing in the internet era?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Are you sure you weren't looking at the Sponsored Links ads at the top of the page? The first real search result is for the D&D Wizards home page. Google ads don't count.
Totally sure, yes. I don't get google ads (or any other sort) on *any* web page, Google [.com.au] included. :)

As I said, for me, the first 'real result' is in fact for DDO. Still is now (checked again to see if it had changed). No, I'm not kidding or whatever.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly, who cares and why does it matters?

It matters:

1) To those who really want the product to succeed, especially those who have 1st hand experience with the game.

2) To potential customers who may be looking for it via the Internet, especially those with poor search engine fu.

3) To anyone with an interest in marketing. The annals of business history are full of products actually sunk by their names. The Chevy Nova did poorly in Spanish language countries- "no va" is slang for "no go." In other words, the car sounded like a dud.

Likewise, a Japanese company tried to sell a brand of pants/jeans in the USA. The name, "Trim Pecker" did NOT do the company any favors.

Other examples of such faux pas can be found at these 2 sites (on the latter, some are real, some are not):

Life's Bloopers
Translations that are Marketing Mistakes

Admittedly, "Pathfinder" isn't as bad as any of those, but the point remains that a strong name aids marketing of a product...and a bad one can sink it.

Well at this point I don't think Paizo will change the name of the game into something more trendy.

I'm sure they are using all the means at their disposal to promote the game.

darjr

I crit!
From a marketing point of view the name makes total sense, to me. Maybe only in the short term, but if it's successful marketing in the short term it may mean successful marketing for the long term.

They had a very successful set of adventure paths named 'Pathfinder'. So much so that I found those products darn near everywhere I found RPG's sold, even the used bin.

Remove ads