• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder + Midnight] Suggestions for using Midnight spellcasting with Pathfinder

hawaiianbrian

First Post
This summer my group is doing something called the "Summer of One-Shots" where we play 1 - 3 weeks of all kinds of different things, but when that's over I'm almost 100% sure they'll want to go back to Pathfinder and start another Adventure Path. And I'll probably be the DM.

Since 3rd edition came out in 2001 I've been seeking an alternative to Vancian spellcasting. It has been a turbulent search. I've tried all kinds of things, including the spell points method in the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana. It was all right, but the amount of spell points and the crazy J curve was a little off-putting at high levels. I recently discovered Midnight and LOVE the way they do spell points in there. The best part is, not a lot has to be changed to make it work! (In my dreams we use a spell method that has far fewer than the hundreds of spells from D&D, most of which are just versions of other spells. Although also in my dreams my players agree to play Savage Worlds Fantasy instead, but that's probably not going to happen with this group.)

So my question is: For those of you who have played -- or better yet run -- Midnight, what would you recommend if I use the magic system from that setting in otherwise standard Pathfinder?

• Since Pathfinder is most definitely not a low-magic setting, should I increase the amount of spells casters gain per level?
• Should I increase the amount of spells they learn per level?
• How should I handle clerics, which don't really exist in Midnight except the evil ones? Should I just have clerics be a type of channeler?
• Do you think casters will be too underpowered to handle the various challenges they are usually called on to overcome (such as magical wards, enemy spellcasters, pits and walls, etc.)?

A couple of things I'm already thinking I will do, just FYI:
- Add a feat that allows people to pick up more spell points (probably 3).
- Tone down some monster abilities, especially SR and DR.
- I haven't decided to what extent I will reduce PC reliance upon and availability of magic items. I would love to just use covenant items and alchemicals.

I appreciate all suggestions and feedback. Thanks in advance!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads