• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder Modules With 4e Rules?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
So I'm really digging the 4e rules, but not so much the 4e adventures. On the other hand, I really like the flavor to Pathfinder's modules. Great setting.

Has anyone tried running Pathfinder's modules with the 4e rules? If so, what was your experience? Good, bad? Anything I should watch out for or any other advice?

So I'm really digging the 4e rules, but not so much the 4e adventures. On the other hand, I really like the flavor to Pathfinder's modules. Great setting.

Has anyone tried running Pathfinder's modules with the 4e rules? If so, what was your experience? Good, bad? Anything I should watch out for or any other advice?

We're converting Savage Tides and the first two Pathfinder modules in my group. Seems to be quite possible so far, and not too much work. (The first DM in my group to convert his campaign did so because he got tired of the in-encounter work of managing his NPCs - we were around 10-11th level in Savage Tides then, and had previously converted to Pathfinder Alpha 3)

I am just a player in all three campaigns, so I can't offer you much insights so far in the conversion process - except form a players side, it looks neat. ;)

FunkBGR

Explorer
I'm picking up my Age of Worms game where I left off, 8 or so months ago.

It works fine, you just need to "convert" monsters. I like converting the monsters too, because now I feel like I can keep the flavor of the encounter, and not feel like I'm pulling punches or anything when I make the monster / encounter less deadly.

(I'm in the camp of people who believe you need to min-max for Paizo's stuff)

There's been some issues with how to make certain things fit - like in my case, what do I do with the Kyuss worms. Really though, that's not that big a deal since 4e has two mechanics for short term and long term effects. They just call them Poison (short term) and Disease (long term). Done!

pweent

Explorer
FunkBGR, I'd love to see the mechanics you settle on for Kyuss worms. My AoW campaign is by necessity staying 3.5 (too many players really attached to their specific character build plans), but I've spent some time thinking about how I would convert things if we were going that route.

There can be some hoops to jump through in doing these conversions, especially where 4e has rejiggered the challenge levels as opposed to 3e. You may find that simply swapping in 4th edition monsters leads you to putting characters up against challenges way out of their league (see mind flayers, rakshasas). You will also frequently want to beef up the numbers of opponents in more evenly matched challenges, though that's generally an easier task.

Dannager

First Post
I'm currently updating Burnt Offerings from the Rise of the Runelords adventure path to 4th Edition, and I'm blogging the conversions for others to use in what is hopefully an easy-to-understand format. I'm only updating as my party runs through the adventure, so everything is play-tested once. Everything up through the end of the Catacombs of Wrath is finished - all that's left is Thistletop.

The blog is located at Tales from the Rusty Dragon.

Rhone1

First Post
I am really hoping someone will do this as well. I like 4e, at least enough to give it a "real" try and have my players play thru a full campaign before I decide one way or another on the system. The mods I have seen so far for 4e from WotC are not for me, however, I love the Pathfinder adventure paths. If anyone has made a full conversion I would love to see it...heck, I'd even pay for it!

vagabundo

Adventurer
I'm currently updating Burnt Offerings from the Rise of the Runelords adventure path to 4th Edition, and I'm blogging the conversions for others to use in what is hopefully an easy-to-understand format. I'm only updating as my party runs through the adventure, so everything is play-tested once. Everything up through the end of the Catacombs of Wrath is finished - all that's left is Thistletop.

The blog is located at Tales from the Rusty Dragon.

Very nice conversion. Looks like converting to 4e is pretty straightforward.

I've recently got some pathfinder stuff and brunt offerings, looks like I'll be running it now - as I only run 4e.

catsclaw227

First Post
I'm picking up my Age of Worms game where I left off, 8 or so months ago.

It works fine, you just need to "convert" monsters. I like converting the monsters too, because now I feel like I can keep the flavor of the encounter, and not feel like I'm pulling punches or anything when I make the monster / encounter less deadly.
I am converting AoW right now (Hall of Harsh Reflections), and we've played about two sessions. Basically, I've done the last encounter or two in the doppelganger lair, and I have stated up Zyrxog's Lair as well.

I can put these encounters up somewhere if someone wants them.

We advanced the PCs from 8th to 11th to go with the changes in level range (1-30 vs 1-20).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads