• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Alpha 3 Now Ready for Download

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Man, I am liking PRPG better and better with each revision. C&C is still my game of choice to run, but for playing I am really looking forward to PRPG. I will definitely pick up the softcover at Gen Con.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Changed:
Halfling Ability scores: +2 Dex, +2 Chr, -2 Str (instead of +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Str)
Halfling Favored class: Bard or Rogue (instead of wizard or rogue)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
IuztheEvil said:
The take 20 issue is indeed a problem and one that I will resolve for the Beta. Thanks for the catch.
It's really not.

When you say the ranger can Take 20 when tracking, it's no different than when Skill Mastery allows a character to Take 10. Both situations are specific exceptions, allowing the character to do something otherwise disallowed, and/or without the drawbacks that would otherwise apply.

"Take 20" works fine, as far as I can see.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Once again, it's looking very good. Better than ever now. The races, the classes, spells, combat, items, and everything else is starting to just, I don't know, feel right somehow. To make sense, mesh, balance, scale properly, that kind of thing. I find myself nodding, with the internal 'uh huh' every now and again, so to speak.

Of course, that's just from eyeballing things. I haven't done an in-depth analysis.

Still, maybe this really can be 3e as it should have been. I'm open to the idea now. :)

It's quite exciting, the prospect of an 'edition' of 'D&D' appealing so much I might want to run it more or less as is, despite ill feelings and general weariness about the game (and other issues) lately.

Volaran

First Post
I notice that Sorcerors get the Eschew Materials feat at 1st level instead of a Bloodline feat. This pleases me, as several of my groups have been giving that to sorcerors for years.

Our current sorceror's player might be a little ticked that he is losing a bloodline feat, but I think he'll like a ranged attack (he has the Fire elemental bloodline) and the extra spells more than enough to make up for it.

Count me in as another person willing to pay for the Beta.

Volaran said:
I notice that Sorcerors get the Eschew Materials feat at 1st level instead of a Bloodline feat. This pleases me, as several of my groups have been giving that to sorcerors for years.

Our current sorceror's player might be a little ticked that he is losing a bloodline feat, but I think he'll like a ranged attack (he has the Fire elemental bloodline) and the extra spells more than enough to make up for it.

Count me in as another person willing to pay for the Beta.
The Alpha 3 Sorcerer is definitely better then the Alpha 2. The extra spells are worth it, and it seems to me as if the bloodline special powers have gotten better, too.

I still don't get the Claw attacks. It might be useful for a multiclassed characters (but honestly, natural attacks are never useful if you can pick up a magical enhanced weapon), but it's a total waste for a Sorcerer. The later strength enhancements don't really help, either. They are to high level for a multiclasser, and to low for a Sorcerer.

---

The Monk Ki-Points look interesting. But I'll note that this still doesn't adress the main problem of the Monk - Flurry of Misses. Maybe there should be an option to spend a ki point to get an attack bonus for one round? (+Wisdom to attacks for 1 ki point, or something like that). I am not convinced that would be enough, but it at least looks like an improvement.

Zuxius

First Post
Oh yea, buying the paper version is not an option, it is a certainty. Paizo has created the Linux of D&D. D&D for the people by the people.

They give their company the voice it needs to touch everyone, unlike some other company that is shrouded in secrect pacts with lawyers. When everything has to clear NDA, it aint OK.

Zuxius

MadMaxim

First Post
This just looks plain awesome! :) I like that they've given the Monk full BAB effectively concerning combat maneuvers. The class deserves it.

GlassJaw

Hero
Wulf Ratbane said:
Haven't given it much of a look so far-- but I hate the conflation of "Take 20" for "You get a 20." (See Ranger, see Survival skill.)

I actually looked at the Survival skill again and I could have been adjudicating Survival wrong all along...

The way I read it now, I'm not sure you can ever Take 20 on Survival.

For example:

SRD said:
Try Again: Varies. For getting along in the wild or for gaining the Fortitude save bonus noted in the table above, you make a Survival check once every 24 hours. The result of that check applies until the next check is made. To avoid getting lost or avoid natural hazards, you make a Survival check whenever the situation calls for one. Retries to avoid getting lost in a specific situation or to avoid a specific natural hazard are not allowed. For finding tracks, you can retry a failed check after 1 hour (outdoors) or 10 minutes(indoors) of searching.

So for getting along in the wild and the Fort bonus, you can't take 20 because it uses the result for 24 hours. I read "result" as your first roll. Taking 20 assumes you are rolling 20 times. No Take 20.

To avoid getting lost of avoiding hazards specifically states no retires, therefore no Take 20.

Tracking has built-in retry times so again, no Take 20.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads