Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder - Second Darkness adventure path

Jack99

Adventurer
I'm enjoying the pseudo-sci-fi elements of the adventure. No robots, thankfully, but creepy space aliens go well with creepy drow. And I wish I'd thought of the "tower tilting and falling into the sea" scene. I'm going to have to steal that for my game.

Could you expand a bit on the pseudo-sci-fi elements of the adventure? I quite being a subscriber when Paizo decided to not go 4e, but seeing just how easy it is to convert (and Orcus decided not to go 4e after all :.-(), I have been considering to return to the fold, just because they read so well. But I am not quite sure I dig the "pseudo-sci-fi-vibe", depending on what it means.

delericho

Legend
Not so much on the first adventure...

Seconded. I really liked the first adventure of RotRL, and thoroughly enjoyed all of the Curse of the Crimson Throne AP, but the first adventure of this path, while it had a fair amount of good stuff, just didn't grab me the same way.

That said, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt (and am a subscriber anyway), so eagerly await the next part. Now, if only it would actually arrive...

(Yes, the pdf is available, but I don't like reading large blocks of text on-screen, so I'll wait for the dead-tree edition to arrive.)

I'll toss my two coppers in that I wasn't grabbed by the first part either. I think I just kept looking at the module thinking how are we going to go from street thugs to heros of the elven people. Not that I can't see it happening, but I just couldn't see it happening with the adventure as written.

Part two was far more interesting to me and the group going out there on their own to wolf down as much free money as they can makes sense spinning off of the first adventure. I just received part three and am diggin it big time as I read through. But I can see my party of scoundrels and thieves looking at their elven buddy saying "no way we're leaving, we're going to expand our power base and make a play for even more riches, we don't do charity."

I think a more traditional leadin such as used for RotRL might have worked better for me. Or, flip it around a make it a but more like the last AP their did for WOTC. The characters had some compelling economic reasons for wanting to head to the island of dread. And toss in the possible realtionship a PC my have developed and we have planty of reasons to go.

This one, I think the adventures themselves look like fun, but the reasons for a group of out for themselves street rats from the wrong side of the street just wasn't addressed sufficiently within the material.

Not that I can't fill these gaps myself. But when I'm paying money for the adventure and it seems to predispose itself torwards a more neutral viewpoint, I'd like to see at least the points being touched on a bit more is all.

-Ashrum

Rechan

Adventurer
Could you expand a bit on the pseudo-sci-fi elements of the adventure?
Be aware I haven't seen the adventure, so I'm going off the synopsis, but:

[sblock]The meteor hits the island, yes? Well, the meteor has stuff on it. You know, alien-ish monsters.[/sblock]

Jack99

Adventurer
Be aware I haven't seen the adventure, so I'm going off the synopsis, but:

[sblock]The meteor hits the island, yes? Well, the meteor has stuff on it. You know, alien-ish monsters.[/sblock]

Okay, so the monsters are
, anything else?

Arnwyn

First Post
I'm getting it, but it's the worst of Paizo's APs (including the Dungeon ones) so far, IMO.

Too difficult compared to the others to adapt to 'normal' campaign settings (though far from impossible - especially if you accept something like SJ, which my group does). But still... not like the others.

Erik Mona said:
And after that: CHELIAX!
English, please, for those of us who think Golarion just gets in the way of otherwise great adventures.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Up next is a fantastical campaign involving efreeti princes and djinni heroines, of pocket dimensions, merchant empires, and gnolls aplenty. Ooh my that's going to be an awesome one.

And after that: CHELIAX!

Thanks again, guys!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Goodbye, raise!
Hello more Paizo adventure paths!

I'm pretty much digging Second Darkness. I was a little concerned at the initial direction, but the 2nd and 3rd installments are reading just fine with me.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Okay, so the monsters are
, anything else?
Less involved with the adventure, there are supporting articles about the other worlds in Golarion's system. Very EdgarRiceBurroughs-ian. As far as pulp sci-fi goes.
Plus, dropping a rock on somebody from space isn't exactly your traditional fantasy.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
English, please, for those of us who think Golarion just gets in the way of otherwise great adventures.

Cheliax is a run-down empire ruled by devil-worshipers. It used to be the "good" human kingdom, but things have gone south in the last century or so. The Council of Thieves Adventure Path will involve the PCs living in the old capital city (where the evil is not quite so thick, but the decadence is rife) during a resurgence of the old thieves guild.

It's going to be sweet.

--Erik

Remove ads