• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Setting: Map up!

PhantomNarrator

First Post
The drawing itself is nice

But geologically it doesn't make much sense. I suppose that's not a deal-breaker for a fantasy setting, 'though. Coolness trumps realism.

Banshee16

First Post
Wik said:
Maps are great and all, but they never really excited me. I mean, it's all about the locations... maps themselves just arn'e that amazing.

As for the names... yeah, they're generic fantasy. Makes sense, though - they AREN'T trying to reinvent the wheel (as has been stated), and some people just get annoyed when the names are too.... unique. And, really, look at our own world - there are plenty of weird, stupid names. Hell, in Canada alone, we have:

1) Medicine Hat
2) Moose Jaw
3) Thunder Bay
4) The Rocky Mountains
5) Lake Huron

Not to mention all the names that had Native influences that, I'm sure, players would roll their eyes at if they had heard them around the game table: Niagara, Haida Gwai (in BC), and Saskatchewan.

Really, any name sounds stupid if you analyze it too much.

Kingston (King's Town), Brockville (Brock's Village, named after General Brock), Rideau Ferry....heck, even "Detroit" simply comes from French for "strait". Montreal being derived from Mont Royal (Royal Mountain), etc. etc.

Aside from the topic of naming conventions.....will there be any setting details, or a guide or anything for the world to be used with the Pathfinder books?

Banshee

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*four*

Kim,

That's just Mark being a geologist. Me I never believed in geology, just accepted it existed. :p

Pants,

We all like the pretty map. :)

Arnwyn

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Aside from the topic of naming conventions.....will there be any setting details, or a guide or anything for the world to be used with the Pathfinder books?
Setting details will appear in the latter sections of the adventures themselves, according to Paizo.

Kaodi

Hero
Banshee16 said:
Kingston (King's Town), Brockville (Brock's Village, named after General Brock), Rideau Ferry....heck, even "Detroit" simply comes from French for "strait". Montreal being derived from Mont Royal (Royal Mountain), etc. etc.

Banshee

That certainly set off the Thousand Islands Resident Detector, but alas, the Calling All Canadians! thread seems to indicate that the National Capital has claimed another promising young gamer.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
JustKim said:
Which rivers don't make sense?

Well, I can't see detailed terrain features from the scale of this map, so take my opinion with a grain (or ton) of salt. :) But you have to keep in mind that rivers flow from higher to lower elevations, and their bends are often influenced by the terrain around them. Some just seem to curve in odd places - the one that makes my eyes hurt most is the Kazaron river, where it flows south and then back to the north, without any obvious change in terrain elevation or barriers. Its intersection with the Stalak also feels weird, since the Kazaron makes a seemingly unnatural 90 degree turn to the south. Also, though you have two rivers merging, there's no obvious widening of the river even though there could be twice as much water flowing through there. (Though the latter is, to me, a minor point.)

I would have had the Stalak river split into two, with the western branch flowing to the Storval Deep, and have the eastern branch flow into the Kazaron (where the Kazaron currently flows north), forming a combined river flowing south between Urglin and the western slopes of the eastern Cinderlands mountains, until the river meets up with the Yondabakari. It might even flow by Urglin, since towns generally form near water sources, not in the middle of nowhere. (Of course, there's probably a very good reason for Urglin being where it is, since most of the other towns/cities are near water where you'd expect.)

Again, this is just my personal opinion based on my limited knowledge of geography, the setting and the current scale of the map. There could be lots of info I know nothing about. :)

Greg V

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Also, though you have two rivers merging, there's no obvious widening of the river even though there could be twice as much water flowing through there.

Yes, but it becomes twice as deep. ;)

Remove ads