• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Society: Can a Paladin be a member of the Dark Archive Faction?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
When I read the description of the Dark Archives, I could see how a Paladin could thematically belong to this guild. (Greater Good angle: better that we have these artifacts under lock and key than have them fall into the wrong hands, ect.).

Then I read some more.

Paladins can Detect Evil at will. Paracountess Zarta Dralneen is Lawful Evil. I can't see any way a Paladin would join an order where the leader was Evil.

I brought this up to my GM. He said there's no RAW against it, but he sees my point. He also thinks Ms Draleen probably wears magical items that mask her true alignment. This makes sense to me.

Do you think Paladins can belong to this order? The way PFS is, I'd hate to make a character in one group, and then have a different GM tell me it isn't allowed.

Thank you for your opinions, I look forward to reading them.

Crucius

First Post
I think that's more suited to the Inquisitor than the Paladin. Paladins traditionally can't or have a very hard time working willingly with with evil characters, no matter what the justification, because they technically are making evil stronger whilst working with them. Inquisitors are more about the 'greater good' thing, being able to ignore their deity's tenets at will if it will help in the long run.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
Yes a Paladin can be a member. There is nothing preventing a character of any class from being a member of any PFS faction.

Story wise why a Paladin would be a member? The Archive holds dangerous items and tools of evil.Paladins might want to join so they can make sure evil will not exploit those tools. If things get out of hand, a Paladin might want to be there to contain the mess

Crucius

First Post
Yes a Paladin can be a member. There is nothing preventing a character of any class from being a member of any PFS faction.

Story wise why a Paladin would be a member? The Archive holds dangerous items and tools of evil.Paladins might want to join so they can make sure evil will not exploit those tools. If things get out of hand, a Paladin might want to be there to contain the mess

As I stated above, this would probably be more of the Inquisitor's style.

The Paladin is in it for the greatest current good. The Inquisitor is in it for the overall greatest good.

Example: The Paladin is wandering around the forest, and finds a Blight Druid preparing an unwilling human sacrifice. This sacrifice will stop a werewolf that has been killing large amounts of people. But all the Paladin sees is an innocent person about to be killed; and so steps in and stops the Blight Druid.

The Inquisitor: The Inquisitor is wandering around the forest, and finds a Blight Druid preparing an unwilling human sacrifice. This sacrifice will stop a werewolf that has been killing large amounts of people. The Inquisitor realizes that this will stop an evil he may not be able to stop otherwise; and so allows the Blight Druid to finish. From there, depending on the character, he may just keep going or kill the Blight Druid to stop him from murdering others.

It's the same way with joining an evil organization. A Paladin may desire the greatest good; but as soon as people in there do unethical acts in front of the Paladin, she will be morally required to help. An Inquisitor can ignore it to suit their own and their deity's purposes.

Is there anything to stop this Paladin from joining? Not unless your DM says so. But I would not expect them to have their Paladin powers for long.

Remove ads