• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Stealth Skill Playtest

Madeiner

First Post
Yeah, but Hide in plain sight allows you to well, hide in plain sight.

I always thought that once you hide (behind cover) at least for the first round that you are moving out of cover, you still retain that stealth.
Otherwise melee rogues could almost never get a sneak attack from stealthing, unless the enemy happens to pass nearby your cover.

tylermalan

First Post
But you cannot 'get the worse condition' (able to hide) anymore. And making it bluff -10 vs Perception makes it practically impossible to do, without having already improved invisibility cast on you.

BTW, what was the old official condition for being hidden? Total Concealment?

Am I missing something?

Before: you make a stealth check and they can't see you.

Now: you make a stealth check and they can't see you.

...? The only difference seems to be that it is against perception instead of sense motive.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Dear Paizo: Incremental rules changes and patches are part of the problem of 4e. Please don't start aping that behavior. Pathfinder is fun and playable as is. Spend time and resources on a secondary setting, a strong non-AP module line or other "fluff" instead. Thanks.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't mind them fixing things, I actually like that they're willing to. I do, after all, harp on them constantly to just admit, "We screwed up. Monks can have full BAB and get their bodies enhanced as weapons." Or... "Ok, Barbs losing rage when they go unconscious was a really bad idea, and instead of feat taxing the problem away with Raging Vitality, we're going to be responsible adults and admit we were wrong and promptly eratta the issue away."

So I have no issues with revisiting Stealth rules. My issue is that they seem poised to make the skill even worse and riddled with really dumb/odd kinks, like rerolling your check each round when you're just hidin' behind some crate, or the bluff vs. perception thing.

enrious

I don't mind them fixing things, I actually like that they're willing to. I do, after all, harp on them constantly to just admit, "We screwed up. Monks can have full BAB and get their bodies enhanced as weapons." Or... "Ok, Barbs losing rage when they go unconscious was a really bad idea, and instead of feat taxing the problem away with Raging Vitality, we're going to be responsible adults and admit we were wrong and promptly eratta the issue away."

So I have no issues with revisiting Stealth rules. My issue is that they seem poised to make the skill even worse and riddled with really dumb/odd kinks, like rerolling your check each round when you're just hidin' behind some crate, or the bluff vs. perception thing.

^^ this.

I'd rather they worked on some of the more obvious (and apparently easier to fix) issues than stealth (I will never play a barbarian and we all laugh at the monk in our kingmaker campaign).

Oh and listen to the feedback Paizo, kthxbai.

Noumenon

First Post
It's definitely not an elegant solution, in that reading it I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

One thing that always bugged me in 3.5 was that you couldn't use Hide to get away from a combat because (it seemed to me) you needed to break line of sight and make your enemies distracted from you. Are these rules better for that?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It's definitely not an elegant solution, in that reading it I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

One thing that always bugged me in 3.5 was that you couldn't use Hide to get away from a combat because (it seemed to me) you needed to break line of sight and make your enemies distracted from you. Are these rules better for that?

As of the additional info from Complete Adventurer, how it seemed to work in 3E was:

- You use Bluff to distract people if you're being observed
- If you are within 1 ft per rank in Hide of suitable cover/concealment to hide in, you're able to then move there and make your hide check. If you lack a suitable hiding area within range, you're out of luck.

1Mac

First Post
I appreciate the clarification on the invisibility status, despite the somewhat clumsy wording. I agree that the Bluff vs. Perception thing is just weird. I'm not sure about needing to make Stealth checks even when not moving, though I'm leaning against the idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads