• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Turning

Roman

First Post
What do you guys and gals thing about the Pathfinder version of Turn Undead?

Personally, I adore it and have already implemented it in a game I run. So far, everybody is happy with it.

At this point, though, perhaps a name change would be in order. We could call the ability something like: Channel Positive/Negative Energy
The new name would better reflect what the new version of Turning actually does. On the other hand, the appelation Turn Undead may be just too familiar to replace, though I would find a new name somewhat preferable.

Roman

First Post
One minor change to the excellent new turning mechanics, could be to require a fortitude saving throw instead of the will save to avoid the damage. I think that makes more sense, but on the other hand would probably necessitate another will save to forestall the fleeing, so I guess we might want to stick with a will save only to simplify things.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Fort save wouldn't work, as the Undead Type are immune to effects that require Fort saves.

srd said:
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

Last edited:

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Of all the rules in the Alpha, the turning rules have been the most universally accepted. We are looking at a name change though, just so that it is a bit more clear.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

joela

First Post
name change

IuztheEvil said:
Of all the rules in the Alpha, the turning rules have been the most universally accepted. We are looking at a name change though, just so that it is a bit more clear.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

How about (Un)Holy Burst?

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I immediately implemented the turning rules into my game. The result was, as spoke the player, "Awesome." It's very simple, requires no looking up, and keeps the core concept of turning undead intact (i.e., undead either fleeing or being immediately turned to dust).

I'd prefer the name to be kept as Turn/Rebuke Undead, but that's just a personal preference on my part. I also want wizards to be called magic-users, so I'm guessing I'm in the minority.

Roman

First Post
an_idol_mind said:
I'd prefer the name to be kept as Turn/Rebuke Undead, but that's just a personal preference on my part.

I would not worry. Whatever the new name of the power, it could still be referred to as Turning/Rebuking undead as one of its uses. It's just that it now has other uses too, such as healing...

E.g.
Channel Positive Energy

This power has several effects. It heals living creatures.... and it turns undead. The latter feature of the power entails...

Everybody can be made happy! :)

Roman

First Post
IuztheEvil said:
Of all the rules in the Alpha, the turning rules have been the most universally accepted.

Yes, you have really nailed it with this one. I am definitely sticking with the new rule and never planning to go back.

I think the key is that not only is the mechanic relatively simple and consistent with how powers work in the d20 system (I would say more consistent than the previous Turn Undead mechanics), but it also satisfies simulationists in that it actually makes more in-game sense than the original 3.5E mechanic. When a rule is designed to satisfy both simulationist and gamist concerns simultaneously, yet manages to keep things simple, it is likely to be enthusiastically accepted by the community.

We are looking at a name change though, just so that it is a bit more clear.

Thank you for chosing the route of clear, descriptive names, rather than power names like "Gift of the Silver Lord" that leave one guessing as to the effect and introduce a type of flavor that may not be to everybody's taste.

crow81

First Post
I'd prefer the name to be kept as Turn/Rebuke Undead, but that's just a personal preference on my part. I also want wizards to be called magic-users, so I'm guessing I'm in the minority.

I agree in both cases. Magic-users is a better name actually less baggage attached but I prefer the original level names it was a great way to size up npc's

Remove ads