• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder version terminology changes for the compilation

So we're probably going to tweak some terms and mechanics for the PF version.

1. Those who in 4e are devas are currently aasimar in PF. In the compilation, we'll make them samsarans, but we're going to call them . . . devas.

The reasoning here is that in the setting, they clearly are a race that reincarnates, which fits Samsarans much better than Aasimar. And the reason I'm not eager to call them Samsarans is because, well, the setting has an eladrin goddess called Srasama, the name of which I kind of bastardized from the actual Hindu term samsara. Then a few months later Paizo releases a race whose name is derived from the same word, but without the letters all rearranged.

So rather than having both 'samsaran' and 'srasama' in the same setting, I'd rather just call them devas.

2. In 4e we have eladrin, whom we've called high elves in PF. The folks who in 4e are just elves, in PF are . . . well, we just call them elves, when we probably should have used 'wood elves.' This has led to some odd phrasing like, "She's a high elf disguised as an elf."

Since the eladrin from Elfaivar are a fairly distinct race who are in decline because nearly all their women died centuries ago, I feel like it's important to make them distinct from just normal elves. I'm thinking of using the Advanced Race Guide to make them 'fey' as opposed to 'humanoid,' and tweaking some of their abilities.

We could call them . . . I'm not quite sure. Maybe eladrins, maybe elfaivarans. They'd be basically elves, but with the fey type, without a Perception bonus or weapon familiarity, and with the ability to teleport 30 feet once per day as a move action.

Would this work for those of you who play PF? Would you be okay with races called devas and eladrin in Pathfinder? Or would it feel too much like 4e and turn you off?

Ravenmantle

First Post
Yeah, works for me as well. It might be a good idea to have a wee sidebar somewhere explaining this, but it's not something I would be up in arms about at all.

Remove ads