• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder vs. 4E sales data

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought I'd share some sales data. These are the number of units sold for our ZEITGEIST products, which are sold in 4E and Pathfinder versions. Some provisos:

1) This is rpgnow.com only; I have not included Paizo.com sales data because we only have the Pathfinder version there which means it's not a like-for-like comparison. More importantly, it doesn't include EN World subscription data, which is by far the largest sales venue for these products. The data may therefore be skewed somewhat.
2) This is the month of October 2011 only. It does not necessarily hold true in the future, or for previous months. Don't read too much into it.
3) I have applied a constant divider to hide the true figures; the proportions are correct, because the exact same divider was applied to all of them, but I don't want to share actual sales figures, just ratios.
4) Other than ZEITGEIST #2 (4E Version) which was released yesterday, none of the below products were released in the month reported; these were released three months ago. It is probably safe to discount ZEITGEIST #2 from the stats, since it's had one day of release compared to three months for the others, and is only so far available in one version.​

ZEITGEIST #1: Island at the Axis of the World (4E) 51
ZEITGEIST #1: Island at the Axis of the World (PATHFINDER) 70
ZEITGEIST #2: The Dying Skyseer (4E) 36*
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Campaign Guide (4E) 274
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Campaign Guide (PATHFINDER) 351
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Intro (For Both Versions) 245
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Player's Guide (4E) 344
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Player's Guide (PATHFINDER) 445
Zeitgeist D&D 4th Edition and PATHFINDER Adventure Path Subscription 34
ZEITGEIST Player Primer (D&D 4E Version) 194
ZEITGEIST Player Primer (PATHFINDER RPG Version) 207

*Note that the 4E version of this was released yesterday; the Pathfinder version isn't out yet.

I don't know how useful/interesting folks might find this. I'll post a comparison of EN World subscriber downlaod figures if I get time to compile them, and you can safely assume that paizo.com adds to the Pathfinder figures (but not the 4E figures - but then the 4E version isn't available there). It's posted as a comparative analysis of sales of the two systems with identical content; so make of it what you will.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I thought I'd share some sales data. These are the number of units sold for our ZEITGEIST products, which are sold in 4E and Pathfinder versions. Some provisos:

1) This is rpgnow.com only; I have not included Paizo.com sales data because we only have the Pathfinder version there which means it's not a like-for-like comparison. More importantly, it doesn't include EN World subscription data, which is by far the largest sales venue for these products. The data may therefore be skewed somewhat.
2) This is the month of October 2011 only. It does not necessarily hold true in the future, or for previous months. Don't read too much into it.
3) I have applied a constant divider to hide the true figures; the proportions are correct, because the exact same divider was applied to all of them, but I don't want to share actual sales figures, just ratios.
4) Other than ZEITGEIST #2 (4E Version) which was released yesterday, none of the below products were released in the month reported; these were released three months ago. It is probably safe to discount ZEITGEIST #2 from the stats, since it's had one day of release compared to three months for the others, and is only so far available in one version.​

ZEITGEIST #1: Island at the Axis of the World (4E) 51
ZEITGEIST #1: Island at the Axis of the World (PATHFINDER) 70
ZEITGEIST #2: The Dying Skyseer (4E) 36*
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Campaign Guide (4E) 274
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Campaign Guide (PATHFINDER) 351
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Intro (For Both Versions) 245
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Player's Guide (4E) 344
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Player's Guide (PATHFINDER) 445
Zeitgeist D&D 4th Edition and PATHFINDER Adventure Path Subscription 34
ZEITGEIST Player Primer (D&D 4E Version) 194
ZEITGEIST Player Primer (PATHFINDER RPG Version) 207

*Note that the 4E version of this was released yesterday; the Pathfinder version isn't out yet.

I don't know how useful/interesting folks might find this. I'll post a comparison of EN World subscriber downlaod figures if I get time to compile them, and you can safely assume that paizo.com adds to the Pathfinder figures (but not the 4E figures - but then the 4E version isn't available there). It's posted as a comparative analysis of sales of the two systems with identical content; so make of it what you will.
I suspect that the subscriber downloads will push 4e back into the lead. Still, nice to see Zeitgeist getting some Pathfinder love. :) I can hardly wait for the second adventure to become available for Pathfinder.

The Auld Grump

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, EN World (same divider as above, so the figures are directly translatable).

ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Player's Guide (4E) 2409
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Player's Guide (PF) 2061
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Campaign Guide (4E) 2212
ZEITGEIST Adventure Path Campaign Guide (PF) 2003
ZEITGEIST #1: Island at the Axis of the World (4E) 1392
ZEITGEIST #1: Island at the Axis of the World (PF) 1417

Note that ALL of the above were free, so nobody had to actually shell out any money. A more telling test will be #2, which requires a subscription.

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Looks pretty much even.

I'm glad publishing for Pathfinder has turned out (seemingly) to be worthwhile for you!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Note that ALL of the above were free, so nobody had to actually shell out any money. A more telling test will be #2, which requires a subscription.
What, you think gamers might be predisposed toward free stuff?

Blasphemy! :eek:

:p

The Auld Grump, if volume 2 was available for Pathfinder then I would already be part of your statistics....

Remove ads