• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder] Well done, Paizo! (Pathfinder RPG)

I've read the other bard abilities. Most of them do nothing at all for me, are largely variants, or are meh...

...Assuming anyone can even get me to play 3.5 again in the first place. 4e Bards do Bard so much better for me than 3.x ever did it's not even funny. Hell, 4e *Swordmages* do Bard better for me.

I had kind of hoped that Pathfinder's Bard might get me onto it again since my usual group won't even *read* 4e, let alone play it, but nope. No such look. Not for me. Enjoy it if it works for you, but I'll pass. :)
Thanks for taking the effort and expanding on what seemed like a weird comment in isolation - it makes sense now. It seems like you need to find a 4E group to play with.

In regards to the Bard, it would seem that the motive for it is to force the Bard to be selective or strategic about his performances rather than busking them out every combat. I play with a group where most players optimize and the round counts we are used to would still enforce this selectivity, so I'm not sure I agree with your optimized angle argument. When I play a Bard, I would much prefer that my performances are appreciated rather than assumed background music.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Have to agree with all of that last post.

I play a Bard and I hated oh how I hated x/day powers. I like rounds much better. I have more control over what I want to do and am no longer "Monkey sing!" background music. Also I can sing and do other things from core! That is a nice boost for me

BryonD

Hero
The changes do not at all fix what I hate about 3.5, so it's already missing the boat for me. The 'derp' thing with my favourite class is kind of the 'oh give me a break' straw though.
You *hate* the system and yet the back wasn't already broken????

If you hate 3.5, then you were never the target audience in the first place.

I mean I don't remotely "hate" 4E, but it is far down my list of preferred games. Who do you think WotC should listen to when designing new content for 4e, me or you? I'd hope they would pretty much ignore me at this point.

Primal

First Post
I think it would be interesting to create a document listing all changes from the PHB 3.5 to the Pathfinder Rules, based on the setting out of the PHB 3.5. This would be an exceptional resource! [I might look at starting something like this up myself]

I think the conversion document contains pretty much every change they made... ;)

Wicht

Hero
If you hate 3.5, then you were never the target audience in the first place.

Heh. That was my first respons on reading that statement.

Anyone who hated 3e will not be too accepting of Pathfinder. I am just sort of surprised there are people who were hoping otherwise.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Because the Bard class totally needed a nerf. *sigh* Yeah, Pathfinder is definitely not for me.

(In every campaign I've been in, the rounds per day thing is a massive nerf. YMMV, but for me, ugh. We tend to drop quickly to 3 players + DM, fight multiple enemies at once and have drawn-out fights, and we're not optimizers so we don't have one-round combats. Level times a day, as long as you sustain it and five rounds after that works in that situation. Rounds per day does not. Ick. Nice job on a method for it that only works for certain kinds of groups. *facepalm*)

1) They do have a significant number of rounds per day for these abilities, so it may not be as much a "nerf" as you think.

2) It's so ridiculously easy to houserule it back to 3.5's x times per day, that this really should be a non-issue.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I just wanted to congratulate Erik Mona and everyone at Paizo for an exceptional job well done from day one right up to the day of release! One thing has been clear since you first announced the Pathfinder RPG - when it comes to gamers and their customers, Paizo really gets it when others don't. I bought the PDF on Friday, and I've been reading it all weekend and through today. I'm excited to see what coming up next!

WotC's 4e may be D&D in name, but Paizo's Pathfinder is definitely D&D in spirit!

Bravo everyone - keep up the great work! B-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads