• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinderize the Warforged

Think of it this way:

1.) Armor Adjustment (+2 armor, 10% ASF) = Leather Armor. 15 gp.
2.) Light Fortification Armor Ability = 1,000 gp (since they don't need another +1 to enchant it).
3.) Non-necessity to breathe = Necklace of Adaptation. 9,000 gp.
4.) Immunity to Poison = Periapt of Proof against Poison. 27,000 gp.
5.) No Eat/Drink/Sleep = Ring of Sustenance. 2,500 gp.
6.) Immunity to Disease = Periapt of Health. 7,500 gp.
7.) Immunity to Paralysis = No direct analog, but an element of the Ring of Free Movement (maybe 5,000 of its 40,000 gp cost).
8.) Immune to Energy Drain = Death Ward Armor Ability (MIC 10) 1,000 gp.

There are no items that grant blanket immunity to sleep, fatigue, or the sickened condition.

Total Cost of WF abilities = 53,015 gp. In other words, the sum total in gold of a PC between 9th and 10th level.

That doesn't include the cost of the free permanent suit of Dwarven/Adamantine Plate (16,500) or Elven/Mithral Chain (5,150) that a WF can get a 1st level for a feat.

Granted, this is partially balanced by worse than normal ability scores (net -2), no bonus languages (common only, no free for Int), partial healing immunity, and a few corner-case special weaknesses (fear rust monsters, and druids if your campaign features a lot of those).

Still, if you think they're under the curve compared to the seven core races, feel free to add on. :hmm:

1. Great, too bad its an amor bonus and unlike an actual suit of leather armor it cannot be swapped out with loot during first adventure.

2. An ability that would go away in Pathfinder since golems are not immune to sneak attack.

3. Only useful in deep space or sudden underwater adventures. How often do either happen. If underwater comes along and rest of party doesnt have pots then they leave and come back with them.

4. Useful but only as long as the DM uses poison wielding foes against you. As a rule DMs rarely throw more than a token monster at you when they know your immune.

5. Barely useful. The WF still needs downtime if they are any sort of caster. Also when has food ever been relevant in a campaign?

6. Or equal to a lvl 3 paladin / lvl 5 monk. Its a fun cookie but even running say the Pathfinder 7 days to the Grave the immunity doesnt change much at all. Basically it means the already often ignored Contagion spell is useless against you.

7. When will this apply? WF are not immune to mind-affecting magic so any mind based spell like hold person will work just fine against them. Though open to debate. Basically you are the worlds biggest badass against the old Wand of Paralyzation.

8. This one by far is the most powerful ability and its also about the cheapest one of them all.

So you get all of this combined with a bonus to the weakest physical stat and a negative to two different mental stats.

As for the armor through feats, they are nice. But you can never take it off so you are permanently affecting your movement ability.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
Warforged are immune to cloudkill. That's pretty considerable. Mummies are a source of disease, as are dire rats and ghouls. Not needing to sleep makes them immune to the spells sleep and deep slumber, as well as the beholder's sleep ray. Paralysis can result from ghouls; liches can paralyze permanently, at-will.

eh, ya lost me at sleep effects. An elf is also immune to all of that

The simple fact is if your game plays heavy into diseases, poison and dieing of hunger or thrust, then the warforged is not a good fit. If however this does not come up every single game, eh not a big deal. Lack of healing does come up every single game, every single combat. That my friend is a much, bigger deal

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
eh, ya lost me at sleep effects. An elf is also immune to all of that

No, an elf is immune to magical sleep, and only magical sleep. What? Seriously? Do you give elves immunity to cloudkill and everything else listed there too?

The simple fact is if your game plays heavy into diseases, poison and dieing of hunger or thrust, then the warforged is not a good fit. If however this does not come up every single game, eh not a big deal. Lack of healing does come up every single game, every single combat. That my friend is a much, bigger deal

So if your game plays heavily into standard monster abilities then the warforged is a bad fit?

I honestly have no goddamn clue what you're trying to say here.

Starbuck_II

First Post
No, an elf is immune to magical sleep, and only magical sleep. What? Seriously? Do you give elves immunity to cloudkill and everything else listed there too?
You do realize Elves have unlisted immunities. Like paralysis: Carrison Crawler and Ghouls.
You'd never know they have immunity until you look at the monster.

pawsplay

Hero
Elven immunities are trivial. Warforged immunities are strong and effective against many core effects. Does anyone wish to continue arguing the opposite? If not, can we drop it?

So if your game plays heavily into standard monster abilities then the warforged is a bad fit?

I honestly have no goddamn clue what you're trying to say here.

Dude, chill. Not that big a deal...but yeah sleep effects of any monster pretty much elves are immune to it. As I said if ya run a grim and gritty game were every time the players turn around they are poisoned, drying of thirst or the like then yeah warforged are godlike. If this does not come up every single game at lest once..It's not a huge deal

yay I can stand watch every night, yay I can walk down there in the deep dark water..alone with no way to see. sure your warforged is unaffected by cloudkill..however he gets to worry about wood,stone r metal effecting spells hurting him, rusting spell or critters are down right deadly and he still has no way of healing without help or a few days to work on himself

They have more drawback really then they have stuff ya use every single adventurer. I am running a group though Savage tide. On part 2 ..want to know how many times his "immunitys" have come into play? or where even useful? Oh he was useful for searching the bottom of the sea..after combat where any pc with swim could have done the same. His non healing however has at times been an issue

Anyhow as always YMMV

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads