• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E "Pathfinderizing" Non-Core Classes and Races

FentonGib

First Post
favored soul (just threw the sorcerer's bloodline into it & added orisons)

That's a really good idea! Limiting it to the Celestial, Abyssal and Infernal bloodlines would probably give a good feel. Though how does this affect game balance? After all Pathfinder aimed at making the core classes match the power level of later classes, and the Favoured Soul is one of the more feature-full classes around (though admittedly the new Cleric system beats it).

And considering the favoured soul gets wings and stuff... does this maybe cause a clash with some bloodline abilities, or are you replacing some of the class features with bloodline abilities?

Am definately interested in hearing more if you please? :)

rgard

Adventurer

In interim I actually went ahead and made a PC version of the Aristocrat class, which I'm field-testing at the moment with an elite NPC villain. She's one of the archvillains of my game, who I wanted to be more of a "Mr Big" type of villain. i.e. lots of manipulative ability, contacts and influence - but little personal fighting power and always relying on underlings.

I've relied a lot on bonus feats, with a limited selection that focuses on flavour of what they do in their spare time/for a living - but won't turn them into rich combat machines. Am contemplating altering this in lieu of talents like the swashbuckler class.

If anyone's interested I can put in on (and feedback is always appreciated)?

Please do!

rgard

Adventurer
Anybody know where the forums that have the fan built classes and variants are? I tried the wiki area and that doesn't have the bulk of them.

Thanks,
Rich

FentonGib

First Post
Please do!

Hokey will write up something tomorrow (about to go to bed) and try to get it up then.

Anybody know where the forums that have the fan built classes and variants are? I tried the wiki area and that doesn't have the bulk of them.
Sorry... I'm a noob to this forum meself, still finding my way around!

rgard

Adventurer
Hokey will write up something tomorrow (about to go to bed) and try to get it up then.

Sorry... I'm a noob to this forum meself, still finding my way around!

Found the link to the homebrew clases, etc.:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-house-rules/86539-links-classes-races-forum.html

Here are two aristocrat/noble base classes that look pretty good:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3r.../82876-aristocrat-cc-pcs-please-critique.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-house-rules/100584-aristocrat-pc-class.html

For the first one, I wouldn't give Leadership so early and for the second one, I'd give leadership sooner than 7th level. Maybe add a 1st level bonus feat.

For me the aristocrat or noble would have the following:

Full BAB - best training money can buy.
2 Good Saves - will and fort.
D8 minimum - see full BAB.
Better selection of skills than a fighter, but less than a bard or rogue.
Probably 4 skill points per level.

I may develop paths for aristocrats. I'm thinking of these:

1. Martial Path
2. Scholarly Path
3. Ne'er-do-well path
4. Diplomat path

Each path would have a different set of skills and varied BAB, HD and feats. Just a thought right now.

Thanks,
Rich

Thanks,
Rich

saucercrab

Explorer
That's a really good idea! Limiting it to the Celestial, Abyssal and Infernal bloodlines would probably give a good feel. Though how does this affect game balance? After all Pathfinder aimed at making the core classes match the power level of later classes, and the Favoured Soul is one of the more feature-full classes around (though admittedly the new Cleric system beats it).
I notated in my (ever-so-brief) conversion/update that the favored soul must pick an appropriate bloodline, related to the portfolio of his god. So a favored soul of a god of fate & time could pick destiny as his bloodline, for example. And compared to the sorcerer, the favored soul was feature-full, but not compared to most of the other base classes.

And considering the favoured soul gets wings and stuff... does this maybe cause a clash with some bloodline abilities, or are you replacing some of the class features with bloodline abilities?
I forgot to mention that I removed all special abilities from the base favored soul. So any wings, weapon feats, etc., need to be selected as part of the bloodline abilities.

Am definately interested in hearing more if you please? :)
See above. :] (Unless you were referring to the other ones.)

Presto2112

Explorer
Other stuff I've done (or have started to) are updates for dragon shaman, dragonfire adept, favored soul (just threw the sorcerer's bloodline into it & added orisons), hexblade (including adding Mike Mearls' suggestions for regular 3.5 revision), marshal, & warlock (ripping off an idea from another poster on Paizo). The hardest part for me is adding a capstone ability.

I've made what I consider significant changes to how the Dragon Shaman works in my document. The most significant change relates to how the Touch of Vitality now works, in that I made it more like the Paladin's Lay On Hands ability in PF.

Would the Favored Soul gain any fans, I wonder, if a single domain choice to the class were added, perhaps at half power? Just throwing crap at the wall here...

I've been playing with the Hexblade as well; I posted the file in another thread. I'd be interested in comparing notes.

FentonGib

First Post
I may develop paths for aristocrats. I'm thinking of these:

1. Martial Path
2. Scholarly Path
3. Ne'er-do-well path
4. Diplomat path

Each path would have a different set of skills and varied BAB, HD and feats. Just a thought right now.
Thanks for the links, they were interesting. Am putting my class onto a nice format for presentation, but it was very much a 3.5 conversion, with rudimentary changes to pathfinder (ie skill changes). Am atm "Pathfinderising" it, and your suggestions (paths) reflect very much what I'd debated. So atm I'm working on that.

One thing I like about Ravenloft is that a lot of the realms have a strong focus on aristocracy, and so there's a lot of info. The relevance is that in many realms (e.g. Borca) nobility is literally about money. In Borca your position in the army or aristocracy literally depends on how much money your family pays the royalty (e.g. 100 gp = knight, 1000 gp = count) and so your family might be Barons one year and Knights another. I like the idea that many merchants buy their way into nobility via arranged marriages. So way I see it aristocrat class should cover:
1) Royalty
2) Nobles with rich family backgrounds
3) Nobles from struggling families that are noble in name, but not financially
4) Wealthy merchant families that act like nobles or buy/marry their way into it.
5) Non-nobles that have titles, e.g. Mayors, Burgomasters, Senechals and other non-nobility or non-landed titles.

In my old Forgotten Realms game a player was an aristocrat from a family that was discredited when his father was (falsely) charged for treason and executed. The player had to struggle to pretend he was rich (when he was the poorest player) and try to find a way to clear the family name. My aristocrat/swashbuckler player in Ravenloft comes from a once-noble Mordentish family that was once wealthy and noble, but now is noble and nearly bankrupt. It makes for interesting tales.

So I'm trying to incorporate that versatility, along with noble traditions (e.g. the old tradition to have three sons - 1st son joining the military, the 2nd running the family estates and the 3rd joining the clergy) and your idea on paths works well for that.

Gimme time, hopefully we'll like the results :)

Phlebas

First Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but the Pathfinder Beta book has the Extra Rage feat as being that you get +6 additional Rage Points (and can be re-boughtas many times as you want)?

fyi

they've posted an alternative rage system - based on rage rounds instead of points - over on paizo boards

theres also some paladin upgrades and an option to look at for animal companions

look for the threads entitled [design focus]

advantages and disadvantages of being in the playtest phase - my new signed book is already getting covered in scribbly notes...

FentonGib

First Post
Thanx

I'd seen the paladin updates (ironically a few days after converting two paladin npcs to Pathfinder... so I'll have to redo them lol) but not the barbarian ones. Will check em out.

Thanx

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads