• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths and Destinies

Abstraction

First Post
From the 4E PHB blurb, it sounds like prestige classes may be supplanted by paths in paragon levels and destinies in epic levels. It could just be fluff, but it sounds like it might be actual crunch. My question is, when my character hits 11th level and gets to choose a path, are his path options based on every decision he made every level of the way? Or is he free and clear to choose from a number of paths and prerequisites be damned? Something in between?

I, for one, would enjoy playing levels 1-10 without worrying how my "build" qualifies upon reaching 11. Make sense?

Sadrik

First Post
I agree, I dont want to "build" characters any more. Prerequisites are so annoying at times, it really makes it difficult to make a character.

On the listed feats. they had no prerequisites except: heroic, paragon, or (I assume) epic.

KingCrab

First Post
Abstraction said:
I, for one, would enjoy playing levels 1-10 without worrying how my "build" qualifies upon reaching 11. Make sense?

There is a certain type of gamer that prefers having to have everything perfectly planned from the beginning, but that isn't the majority and it makes the game more accessible to new players if the stress of level by level decisions are gone. The question is, what are they aiming for?

Ranger REG

Explorer
KingCrab said:
There is a certain type of gamer that prefers having to have everything perfectly planned from the beginning, but that isn't the majority and it makes the game more accessible to new players if the stress of level by level decisions are gone. The question is, what are they aiming for?
Advanced players? If paths and destinies are to replace prestige classes, then like prestige classes, they should be optional rules at the DM's discretion.

Then again, perhaps paths and destinies are probably high-level talent trees of paragon and epic range. Just speculating.

Last edited:

Perun

Mushroom
KingCrab said:

I hope they're aiming for a game with only light to moderate amount of planning. In my group of seven (six players and the DM), we've got two guys that love to plan their characters from level 1 to level 20 (although we never got higher than level 13 :p), two like to know how their character will look like for the next three to six levels, one has only the general idea of what he wants his character to be able to do, and my characters are single-classed mix-and-matches of feats and skill ranks (whatever draws my attention at the time of levelling-up, although I try (and, hopefully, manage) to maintain specific flavours and roles with my characters).

Regards.

KingCrab said:
I think they can have both. You can plan a character in detail even if you don't have to fulfill any special prerequisites for the abilities you want to acquire. Unless the "prebuilders" see it as important to create bizarre combinations to get certain abilities. (That's possible, I guess.)

Aristotle

First Post
I'm fairly certain "retraining" rules are being implemented as core. I don't have a source, but I swear I've seen it referenced a couple of times in the development articles or blogs. I think planning won't be necessary, but if you haven't planned and want your character to go another route... you may have a few hoops to jump through to make the switch a little more fluid within the game.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Mearls has specifically stated that he wants to get rid of the need to "plan" a build. To me that suggests that a 10th (or 11th?) level Fighter can choose any Path open to Fighters. The "tier only" prerequisite nature of the Feats suggests this is going to be how it works.

Remathilis

Legend
My guess.

In BECMI D&D (aka the Rule's Cyclopedia) a 9th level "name" fighter could become a paladin (if lawful), knight (if neutral) or avenger (if chaotic) or remain a fighter. Each had benefits and drawbacks (paladin had the most bennies, go fig) but the only "pre-req" was alignment and level.

I think paths will be similar. A few simple "pre-reqs" that lead into a new list of powers and abilities. (So a paladin buying of the poke-mount tree will easily qualify for the cavalier path)*. Same with epic destinies.

I also expect new "paths" to replace PrCs: A samurai path, an archer path, etc.

* I made all those names up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads