• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of Legend: Lord Noran's War (OOC Thread)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Recruiting has closed. This is now the OOC thread.

D&D 3.5 Homebrew World

500 years before the Shadow War, a war was fought that changed the human lands forever after. Thay summoned powerful demons and devils to invade the Emirates. The Emirans summoned genies and elementals to counter them. Spells and swords clashed for eight long years.

Azgund, then a monarchy, sent troops to support the Emirates throughout the war. The King demanded of his Lords that they provide troops, sending the young men of the Lords' lands off to fight. Many in the House of Lords saw the war as unwinnable. They saw it as a drain on Azgund's resources. But they could do nothing. The King was unapproachable. And so the Lords sent their young men to die.

All but one.

This game focuses on the nation of Azgund's civil war that erupted as a result of Lord Noran's defiance during the Thay-Emiran War. Players can choose to play characters on the side of the King or on the side of Lord Noran. As this will be a politically themed scenario, please create characters with an emphasis toward "role" rather than "roll." Also, this will not be a "traditional" adventure so characters may find themselves on opposing sides or in conflict with one another.

Character Creation Guidelines

Please see this thread for details on the campaign world. Keep in mind that the information presented there is for the campaign year 1151. This game is set in the campaign year 650.

Preference and priority will be given to my players in my other Play-by-Posts.

Characters will be created using 32 point buy. Starting level is 6th. The following books may be used...

Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II (with 3.5 update)
Savage Species (my version of monster progression 3.5 updates available on request)

Starting gold, per the DMG, is 13,000 gold pieces. No more than half can be spent on any single item.

Hit Points are max at 1st level, then average each level thereafter as follows...

d4 HD: 2.5
d6 HD: 3.5
d8 HD: 4.5
d10 HD: 5.5
d12 HD: 6.5

Do not round your total, but ignore the (.5) during actual play.

Please include a background that explains what the character has done to earn his or her first six levels. Please make an effort to include the character in the world's history and please feel free to ask me for specifics of the world and its history.

Please post concepts before actual completed characters for discussion.

Approved Characters - Final

Ahote Silverbrooke - Wild Elf Sorcerer played by Yttermayn
Hrugnir - Feral Half-Ogre Barbarian/Fighter played by bedford
Kae'Ari - Astral Deva played by Lynx_The_one
Keefe - Azgundi Rogue/Assassin played by ethandrew
Nyrazha al'Zandrin - Emiran Rogue/Bard played by shadowmask
Phaidadru Farradur - Half-Elf Rogue/Sorcerer played by blackdraco
Shajrom Duzmar - Mountain Dwarf Rogue/Cleric played by Voda Vosa

Recruitment closes September 1st, 2007. Number of characters being accepted is open at this point.

Last edited:

shadowmask

First Post
Count me in. ;)

I have a female Emiran multi-classed bard/rogue as a concept. Basically, she's been trained in the ways of diplomacy and subterfuge since a young child. This includes using her body (not explicitly :p ) to lower a person's defences. [Think stupefied men slavering over an oiled and sweatty belly dancer, woman of "exotic mystery," etc.] She is of the Water Sect, which is in danger of being wiped out. Therefore, she has a vested interest in maintaining the Azgundi House of Lords' involvement and support of her people. Whether or not her priorities change will greatly depend on how the game unfolds.

Last edited:

Zoycitenega

First Post
I've got an idea of a CG Tiefling wizard(presuming Tieflings are a playable race?) by the name of Morion. Morion has spent most of her life fighting down her inner demons, and would be very strongly on the king's side. After all, a small chance of winning is better than a sure chance of slavery.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
All: The level 6 starting level and the point in history that this takes place means that your characters have the potential to be a part of the campaign world's history in a significant way.

Lynx_The_one: You are correct, there are no psionics in the world, yet. A yuan-ti would be great. An Astral Deva associated with the Healing Light would also be super spiffy. The Healing Light, in this era, is much more provincial. They consist mainly of small, local congregations and followings, with little to no cohesive organization or structure...thus there is some disparity in beliefs. They are mainly located in Azgund. The martial aspects of the religion have yet to surface and some of the local priests have actually drawn some ire from the King for refusing to accompany the King's armies to the Emirates. The arrival of an Astral Deva may serve as a unifying force for the religion.

Yttermayn: Sorry, no warlocks.

Voda Vosa: Dwarves in this era are exceedingly isolationist and in the midst of skirmish level civil war. The Southern Thanes (the hill dwarves) are still fighting to establish independence from the Mountain Thane (the mountain dwarves). A dwarf in Azgund in this era will get the same reaction as the centaur did in the modern era...which means it will be entertaining. :D

shadowmask: Sounds Stir Fried Awesome (tm). I can't wait to see it.

Zoycitenega: Tieflings mostly came about as a direct result of this war, from Thayvian stock, because of the number of demons and devils Thay summoned into the war. However, there were some that came about prior to the war, again mostly from Thay. Prior to just summoning the demons and devils themselves, a Transmutation Circle breeding program generated a fair number of Tieflings with the intent of making them augmented soldiers. The program was ultimately abandoned when it was determined that more powerful creatures would be needed to fight the Emiran genies and elementals.

Great concepts so far. :D

Lynx_The_one

First Post
I have it! I will be playing a young Astral Deva, who came to the world along with some other fully grown Devas and Planetars, led by a Solar in order to combat the demons, and inspire more people to the healing light, through a show of force. Because he was so young, he was left in the capital, to convince the king to continue to send troops to assist the emirates. While in the capital he has become a symbol for local sects of the healing light, and has become the local leader. He is staunchly in favor of this war, it will be crucial in creating the militarization of the healing light.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Lynx_The_one said:
I have it! I will be playing a young Astral Deva, who came to the world along with some other fully grown Devas and Planetars, led by a Solar in order to combat the demons, and inspire more people to the healing light, through a show of force. Because he was so young, he was left in the capital, to convince the king to continue to send troops to assist the emirates. While in the capital he has become a symbol for local sects of the healing light, and has become the local leader. He is staunchly in favor of this war, it will be crucial in creating the militarization of the healing light.

Very nice. I will post my revision of the Astral Deva progression here sometime in the next couple of days.

A note, however, on Outsiders. In this world, they don't exist until they are summoned, so your character and the retinue he was a part of would have to have been summoned, probably by a high level cleric of the Healing Light with the same agenda as you've ascribed to your character. Whether this person is still around to influence your character, has gone to the front lines with the other Devas and such, or was consumed in the massive summoning ritual that brought the angels to the world in the first place is something you can establish in your character's background.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads