Pathfinder 1E Paths of Legend: Resurrection

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
That's a freaking amazing idea actually and works independent of culture. Among the Drukkar, she'd be seen as blessed or cursed by the sign of the phoenix. In Azgund, she'd be seen as a miracle by the Healing Light and/or an arcane mystery worthy of study by the Arcane Academy and others. In Thune, she'd be seen as a threat at best and something to be vivisected at worst. In Emiras, she'd be seen as either a threat or a prophet by the Fire Caste (the Fire Caste split into factions after it fell out of power).

So, yeah, I like it. A lot.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I should also note that the setting info I'm providing is meant to provide inspiration, not to serve as a straight jacket. If you have an idea, let me see it and we'll make it work.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I love the idea of a halfling monk (the Underfoot Adept archetype), who perhaps is also a cook. Can you tell a bit more about the monastery that trains all kinds of races? Like if they adhere to a religion or philosophy, if they train in a certain style or combat movement, dress in specific outfits, or have peculiar world views (apart from 'slavery is bad')?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The first monasteries focused on the Shadow Dance, the most elite becoming Shadow Dancers, tapping into the essence of the Shadow World, one of the spiritual barriers between the mortal world and The Nothing, the world beyond to which all dead souls travel. Adherents of the Shadow Dance thus tend to be a little morbid, focused on death, oblivion, and shadows. Given that Djihon spirituality involves ritual sacrifice to the Serpent and a heavy emphasis on the afterlife, the shift in philosophy was a relatively easy one.

After the monasteries started accepting students outside of the former slaves, other beliefs and philosophies began to creep in to the teachings and eventually new monasteries with different outlooks started popping up. The root teachings still have a heavy focus on a life of balance and moderation in this life to prepare one's soul for the next, but each monastery branches out in its own way from there.

It should be noted that the most powerful of the Shadow Dancers were among those who worked to repair the barrier between worlds that was torn asunder during the Shadow War, sacrificing themselves to give their soul energy to the Lord and Lady of Shadow to seal the gap. An obsidian obelisk, a monument to their sacrifice, stands in Silvergard.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I might try an Oracle if Perrin goes ranger.

Sure, I can do that. :)

My ranger is more of a switch hitter type, balanced between Ranged and using a big sword.

MW, I am still trying to make time to wade through the setting information you have posted to absord it all. Is there something specific I need to know for a ranger?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Ranger is like the fighter in that variations of the concept exist in most cultures. They are most well known in Turen, where they serve as the "soldiers" of the druids, combating enemies of nature and Turen more directly than the druids can (or desire).

Emiras rangers are black-garbed watchers, unaligned with the castes but allies to the Janni, keeping an eye on Thune and the castes, striking only when a threat of otherworldly summoning, such as that unleashed during the war 500 years ago, emerges. The horselord archetype is common among Emiran rangers.

Azgundi rangers are a bit more "civilized" and generally fall into two loose camps - bored nobility who take up wilderness survival and big game hunting for sport and those who patrol the borders and serve as scouts, especially in the eastern baronies (Vedlund chief among them).

Thune rangers are merciless hunters, trained by the wizards to hunt down rogue sorcerers and other illegal spellcasters and either bring them in or kill them. Rangers of Thune are also used to hunt down escaped slaves, criminals, and other undesirables.

Drukkar rangers serve as the advance scouts for the tribe, exploring ahead of the tribe to make sure an area is safe before the bulk of the tribe arrives (if the tribe is of the migratory sort).

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
A halfling orphan found as an infant at the base of the obsidian obelisk in Silvergard, perhaps with strange black or grey eyes, would surely be seen by some as a sign from the Shadowlord. Or do the Lord and Lady of Shadow have other ways of giving signs? Perhaps his parents (or grandparents; I'm still unsure of the timescale) were instrumental in repairing the barrier between worlds and somehow this newborn was blessed with life, while the lives of his (grand)parents were sacrificed.

This would then lead to him being raised and trained in a monastery, to learn the shadow dance and how to find balance in himself and in the lives of others. Because of his smaller stature, his martial training would focus more on bringing down larger opponents and less on raw strength.

Walking the world as an eager young monk, seemingly harmless because of his garb and carrying only simple peasant weapons, he would find a way to increase his skills by adventuring, thus volunteering for the scouting mission to the orc's nest.

Would such a thing be appropriate for the setting?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Absolutely. :D Having his parents be among those honored by the obelisk would also be awesome. The Shadow War ended in 1144 and it is currently 1157, so 13 years ago. So, the character may have lost his parents during the war and may remember them, depending on how old he is.

Remove ads