• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of Legend: The Azgundi Tournaments

Arkhandus

First Post
Alaric tells Estelle "Don't worry about me for now, I'll keep an eye out. Check on Muzdum."

Then he has to deal with this Zander fellow. "Hmph. I don't recall ever hearing anything about you that would make you anyone's better. Mayhap you've enjoyed lazy days of wine, women, and general worthlessness, instead of doing anything of value to earn recognition?" he says quietly to his opponent. "Oh, and I believe it's your turn," he adds, indicating the coin toss.

1d2=2

Yttermayn

First Post
Aohdan's blazing eyes meet Entan's with an impassive gaze. "I am shown... Something... Essence! Flowing from Shayuri and Pryzm, combining, and flowing into Shraezek. Shayuri tried to give her blood to the dragon girl before, and there seemed a shadow of a reaction. Maybe a mingling of blood, given to Shraezek? Odon, do you agree? Shayuri, Pryzm, are you willing?"

Shayuri

First Post
Shayuri looks over at the centaur, then at Pryzm, then at her bandaged hand.

She'd come this far.

"All right," the sorceress replies, and starts to unwrap her injured hand. "I hope this works though, or this will never heal."

Despite her nervous laugh, the quip falls flat even in her own ears.

shadowmask

First Post
Pryzm lifts her head from Shraezek to look at Aohdan then Odon. The others notice her eyes are no longer their normal crystalline hue; they are now swirling opalescent orbs. "Only if Odon says it will work. I'd hate to make him worse." She goes back to encouraging the ill copper wyrmling.

Shayuri

First Post
Shayuri opens the cut on her hand again, grimacing at the sharp shoot of pain. She looks at Pryzm then.

"You'll need to cut yourself a little," she says, glancing at Odon and Aohdan uncertainly.

"Then what?" she asks. "Do we mix them up in a bowl?"

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle nods at Alaric, going to check on the dwarf when the guard stops her. She narrows her eyes, unsure if this was a trick or not. According to Alaric, Anareesa was magically controlled, and whoever controlled her could still be doing so. And Estelle had a very good idea about who was controlling her. Nevertheless she indicated to the guard that she would follow him to see the young acrobat.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
The Debate

Muzdum

Devera raises an eyebrow, "A crystal dragon? Really?"

The moderator then poses the debate question before she has a chance to continue.

"Trade with the dwarven and elven peoples has always been a difficult endeavor at best, due to geographic seperation. Increased trade would be highly desirable and profitable for all involved. However, the Djihon Islands harbor pirates in unknown numbers that prey on any vessel that ventures through their territory. The trade route through the islands is the only known sea route available, but the pirates have proven frustratingly difficult to find and deal with.

What solution would you utilize to neutralize the pirate threat and open up trade with the elven and dwarven lands?"

Lady Devera smirks, amused by the topic apparently, as her elven eyes fix on the moderator, "The answer is simple and yet terribly frightening to the House of Lords, which is why they haven't pursued it. Offer the pirates a commission as privateers, working for Azgund. Not only does it ensure that Azgund vessels and the allies of Azgund have safe trade lanes, it also provides us with another avenue of intelligence against the likes of Thay and, dare I say it, the drow. In addition, those pirates that don't sign on will quickly find themselves targetted by their former comrades and it isn't like pirates don't have rather deadly rivalries to begin with. Problem solved, with interest."

OOC: Diplomacy check vs Muzdum (1d20+12=30)

She winks at Muzdum, her smirk still in place, and offers a challenge, "Refute that, good dwarf."

Johen

Nineveh nods to Johen as the moderator poses his question for the debate.

"Many in the House of Commons believe there is a conspiracy brewing among some lords and ladies in the House of Lords to reinstate the rules of lineage set aside when the last King of Azgund, Vaidan Lyantaclis, was forced to step down in the year 653.

Reinstating the rules of lineage would effectively end the tournaments as Lordship would be determined not by merit but by heredity. It could even give rise to a new monarchy.

Do you a believe a return to the old ways would benefit Azgund? Why or why not?"

Johen gets to make his opening statement first.

Alaric

Zander sniffs petulantly and turns away from Alaric, pointedly ignoring him as the moderator poses the question for debate.

"The House of Lords is considering issuing an open bounty on dragons in light of the Dragon Plague that has afflicted dragonkind, apparently driving even the good among their kind to unprovoked attack.

Those opposed to the action believe that such an action is inhumane and that our resources should instead be directed to finding a cure.

Those in favor have stated that dragons are not the most trustworthy beings to begin with and it would be better to strike them down while they are weak, so as to eliminate a potential threat.

What solution do you favor and why?"

Zander opens with grand sweeping gestures not only to the moderator but to the audience as well, "Can it be denied that dragons are the most powerful creatures on this world? Can it be denied that we are like insects to them, or worse, potential meals? Can it be denied that every single one of those beasts is a threat to our very existence? No, none of these facts can be denied. Wipe them out, use their hides to forge armor, provide their other parts to the Arcane Academy for study and use as spell components and destroy the rest, I say. Their moment of weakness can and should be our moment to assert our rightful place as sovereigns, pardon me, caretakers, of this land."

Zander Kale's Diplomacy check vs Alaric (1d20+6=8)

The moderator looks to Alaric, "You may now offer a rebuttal."

Outside the Debate Tent

Estelle finds Anareesa sitting on the ground outside the debate tent, the cleric of the Healing Light that tended to Muzdum's poison applying a damp cloth to her head. He looks up at Estelle, "The magical influence over her is gone, at least for the moment. She will not be charged with a crime as she is as much a victim in this as the young man who was poisoned."

Anareesa looks up at Estelle with tear-filled eyes, "I saw what was happening, but I couldn't stop myself. I didn't want to hurt anyone."

Meanwhile, Renaldo finds himself back at the tournament grounds and spots Estelle outside the debate tent.

The Arcane Academy

Odon nods to Aohdan, "The One mind gifted me with the same vision."

Entan looks skeptical, "If you saw their energies merging together, then I highly doubt it was something as literal or vulgar as blood. If the plague is supernatural in origin, which all of my research seems to indicate, then the energies in question are likely your vital essences, your soul energies, to use a Lightbringer vernacular."

He sighs heavily, "As it happens, I have scrolls of the appropriate spells available. It will require willing sacrifice on your parts, however. Taking such energy from you unwillingly goes against everything I stand for."

Entan turns to Valen, Aohdan, William and Odon, "This will be an intensely personal and painful experience for them...and for me. I must ask the rest of you to leave."

Odon's gaze turns dark, "Pryzm is in my charge. I have sworn to watch over her with my life. I will not leave her side."

Amaury

First Post
Johen nods slowly as if taking in the question and its implications.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this question is fundamental to Azgund's future. My answer is clear: the tournaments must go on. The citizens have developed a meritocracy that is essential to the well-being and progress of their city and people.
Look around you: sons inheriting from their fathers but inapt to reign because of their temperament. These same sons being then murdered for a more able family member. Or, tyrants passing on their tyranny on to the next generation!
How many of these heirs has our civilization known? How many kingdoms have we seen disapear because the same rulers with the same traditions and same ideas kept on reigning for generations?
No, I tell this, the more able need to lead for the well-being of all. Let skill, valor, knowledge and wisdom rule Azgund!"

OOC: diplo (1d20+2=21)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Outside the debate tent:
Meanwhile, Renaldo finds himself back at the tournament grounds and spots Estelle outside the debate tent.

Renaldo narrow his eyes in suspicion, but , she is a lady and deserves her chance to speak her words. There is a test that can be adminstered. He boldly walks to Estelle and says, "Mi' Lady, Pardon me, but have we met?" He smils his most disarming smile.

Remove ads