D&D 5E PAX PRIME 2014: Acquisitions Inc. - Five Heads are Better than None

Tormyr

Hero
I felt this outing was up there with the 2013 Mad Mage adventure as the best. The PAX East adventure did not seem to gel and flow quite as well.

After Viari came in, I kept hoping to hear Aeofel's Oath of Enmity come over the loudspeakers before Wil came on stage. Alas, maybe next year.

EDIT: Chris does DM loose and fast. He is a showman when it comes to encounter design and knows how to help everyone have fun. I don't know why the crit rules were different. He could have house ruled it, left the playtest running on that since the PHB was still new or any other reason. But the game flowed well, and there was no shortage of drama and action. One of the dice camera shots showed the players were playing at level 7. At that level, I would have metagamed and asked (does that look like a young dragon or an adult green dragon? to decide whether we had a chance.

Also, they took a break from their costumes (probably so they did not have to ship them to PAX East). Coincidence that I thought the adventure did not go as well? :)

Last edited:

drjones

Explorer
Anyone who watches any of the A.I. games can see that Chris Perkins is never really up on any of the official rules and always just seems to wing it. Even in this game he had to look up whether the enemies that had jumped on top of Binwin granted him cover or not. I suspect that he spends most of his time at WotC doing so much of the "creative writing" aspects of the game (monsters, story bibles etc.) that the actual current rules just fall by the wayside in his mind (until he's probably played them enough.) These playtest changes probably wreaked havoc on his memory of them.

Actually I loved that scene, because it pointed out how little the precise adherence to the rules meant to the game (in this case, it meant absolutely nothing), and how the objection raised only served as a roadbump to slow down the fun. Chris played it well.

Oh and I loved the rest as well, it could have been the St. Bernardus I was drinking but I was cheering along with the crowd when Rothfuss made his entrance and for every 20 like I was watching the World Cup.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
EDIT: Chris does DM loose and fast. He is a showman when it comes to encounter design and knows how to help everyone have fun. I don't know why the crit rules were different. He could have house ruled it, left the playtest running on that since the PHB was still new or any other reason. But the game flowed well, and there was no shortage of drama and action....
Chris said at one point that he wasn't up to date on the latest rules. He looked in the PHB several times for clarification.

But the game certainly flowed and looked like fun.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
This is the first PAX Live game I've watched, and I enjoyed it. I'll have to go back and check out snippets from the others now. I've been sporadically chuckling for hours over the intro about the Dwarf of Enormous Importants.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Oh yeah, that was so much better than last time. The return of (spoiler) really helped. All five players were really on song this time. Good stuff. I can't wait for the next one! :)

Remove ads