• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PBP Games: Alive vs. Dead

Endur

First Post
My question: What are the key factors that keep a Play By Post game alive versus the factors that make a Play By Post game die?

Eluvan

First Post
Enthusiasm is the key, I'd say. That's the one and only factor that will keep a game running.

So long as a game has a DM and 2-3 players who are committed to it and, more importantly, really enjoy it, it'll stay alive. As soon as too many of the players - or, even more fatally, the DM - start to see posting in the thread as a burdensome duty rather than a pleasure, the game is as good as dead. If one or two players lose enthusiasm, new players can be recruited so long as the DM and a solid core of players are still keen. If real life interferes that can be an annoyance, but so long as it doesn't dislodge the enthusiasm for the game then it'll be overcome. Similarly loss of momentum and all these other things aren't problems in themselves, exactly. They are temporary setbacks, but they will only kill the game if they kill enthusiasm for it.

So that's it, as far as I'm concerned - that's the one really crucial factor. Everything else pales in comparison.

Thanee

First Post
I don't think this is really easy to find an answer for.

Of course, one thing is an absolute PbP killer... if the DM suddenly disappears. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I like Eluvan's answer. That is really the key.

Of course, there are some things that help:
1. DMs who ask open ended questions - try to never ask a question that can only be answered with a simple yes or no. Always ask questions that require a response.

2. Players who know how to speak even if not spoken to. Nothing kills a game faster than players who only post when it is combat or they are directly asked a question by someone else.

3. Players who post their character's thoughts seldomly. Thoughts really don't serve much use to anyone in a PbP game. Every long once and a while they can be used to clarify something that is said. But when people get into the habit of posting thoughts, they forget to post actual words that their characters speak. Other players can't RP of of someone else's thoughts, but they can RP off of someone else's words. To keep myself from falling into this trap - I post my character's thoughts very infrequently - and never (or almost never) as a DM.

4. Allow posters to post their actions in combat up to one round ahead of time - as long as the DM is willing to allow for a change in action if something in the Init order makes their selected action invalid or stupid. Requiring people to post during combat only at their spot in the initiative and not before will stretch a round of combat out for a long time..... and kill enthusiasm because it takes so long to get through a round.

5. Be up front and honest about posting habits. There is nothing wrong with only being able to post once per week or once per day. But don't join a game unless your habits match the habits of the DM. Nothing is more frustrating than starting a game where the rules explicitly say "posting once per day required" and everyone agrees and then one player decides to really only post once every third day. As a general rule, I can think up something for my character to say at least once per day. So I post once per day in those appropriate games. The two exceptions are games in which the requirement is stated as being less and/or if my post is the most recent. No need to post again if nobody has reacted to my original post.

I think that's a pretty good adivce list. There are more expectations out there. But as a DM if the players agree to this I'm fine with the players. As a player, as long as the rest of the players and the DM agree to this I'm cool too.

doghead

thotd
I too agree with the above.

Communication is important, especially in regard to keeping people enthusiastic. Unlike in a table top game, its hard to know what the other people in the game are feeling. But knowing this can be particularly helpful, especially as a DM. I realise that it can be hard to post something that might be taken as an attack. But the more up front players are about what they are enjoying, and perhaps more importantly, what they are not enjoying, the better the DM is able to create a game that people will remain enthusiastic about. At least, that is how I feel when sitting in the 'the big chair'.

thotd

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Thanee said:
I don't think this is really easy to find an answer for.

Of course, one thing is an absolute PbP killer... if the DM suddenly disappears. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Yes, or if the vast majority of the players disappear. :uhoh:

Bront

The man with the probe
Speed is an issue as well.

If the PbP game doesn't match the speed the players are expecting, it can be bogged down, players can loose enthusiasm, or players will drop. That applies to both sides, too fast and too slow.

Always announce potential disapearances or dead times. I let my players know when my posting will be slower, even if it's only a potential problem. Players are willing to wait on a GM if he tells them he'll be gone, but don't disapear too long...

Encourage your posters to explore aspects of their characters beyond what they might explore in a table top game. Sure, you don't need to RP every purchase, but while you're making purchases, perhaps 2 characters may have a conversation, while they are making out of character comments to plan something (which happens occasionaly).

Player Hooks are key. A good background with hooks can be used to get the player interested in the game. And you can often intertwine these hooks better in this environment.

A big key is to add extra touches, like some of the body language you can describe as people talk, or how you can split up the party and not slow down since you can still work with everyone at the same time.

All in all, there's a lot to it, and most games have some elements, and the best ones have all of them.

Erekose13

Explorer
Continuing to post is big too. If you are in a game post whether you are the DM or not and whether your character has something to say or not. Posting will help a game stay alive. This is especially critical as a DM, without posts from you to work off of, your players may have a difficult time maintaining interest. Some groups are great at RP and DMs can sit back for a bit, but even then a DM should post something in there.

Endur

First Post
I agree with all of the points above.

We tend to spend more time focusing on our character's actions in the game in OOC threads than on "what" makes a successful game. Some things are easy to spot: frequent posting, enthusiasm, etc. but it is harder to analyze exactly what creats enthusiasm and frequent posting.

One of my observations is that in most of the Play by post games I have participated in, people start out very excited about character development (tons of posts about character dev), then posting slows down once the game begins and over time.

And if the GM says that he (or her) is taking a break from posting for vacation, then posting stops entirely until the GM comes back.

Remove ads