• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PBP] The Port Opal Underground - OOC Thread

Reprisal

First Post
I must have forgotten to mention it in any detail... My apologies!

The campaign will begin on the continent of Vanaria, the origin of gnomes, haflings, dwarves, elves and humans. It's currently ruled by an Empire dominated by the Imperial Askarans, an ethnicity of humans not unlike our own Roman/Greeks -- complete with cultural hubris; and the Pale Elves of Alerion, who have attached themselves to the Askarans as their logical half. This Empire started as an alliance of the "good folk plus the goblinoids" to stand against the invading hordes of orcs from the South East. The orcs were defeated in the War of the Unending Tide roughly one hundred and fifty years before the start of this campaign.

It was at this point that the backbone of the Vanarian Alliance's military, the Askaran Legions, decided that the continent would be a better place if they ruled it. With the help of the elves, the Askarans quickly conquered the depleted forces of the remainder of the peoples and established the Continental Empire of Vanaria.

The Askaran conquest wasn't all bad, indeed it was a mixed bag. As the standard of living went up when the combination of Askaran discipline and elven reason led to many civil and technological innovations. When it became a fairly complex bureaucratic Empire, the Emperor turned his eyes outward for more territory to control -- his previous attempts at conquering the orcish lands were main unsuccessful.

He sent ships across the sea, and while some of them failed to return, some came back with the tale of a great, uninhabited land of temperate forest, and windswept plains. The Emperor was ecstatic, and quickly made plans for the establishment of the first colonies in the New World. One of those colonies was Port Opal, which would be the real world equivalent of perhaps Montréal or even Boston.

Port Opal was developed to be the shining beacon of all that was well and good in the Imperial Way. Unlike other cities and territories in the Old World, Port Opal would not be ruled directly by a feudal lord, but rather by an elite oligarchy of "learned, land-owning men and elves." Sporting the latest in a deep water harbour; fine, stonework streets; and an underground sewage system; Port Opal is perhaps the most welcoming city in all the world.

At least, that's what the Imperial Callers say... and many headed to the Old World harbours wishing to pay, or even go into debt, to leave their lives here and start a new one.

The Meyarins were one of those people, but they were different in that they were all able to pay their way in full -- their religion was fairly well off compared to others in a more secular Empire. Instead of moving to the city of Port Opal itself, they moved northward up the Opal River and settled in a region along one of the great river's tributaries, the Hope River.

Hopeland is a huge expanse of woods and farmland dotted with small communities with large places of worship. So far, the Meyarins have only accepted certain people into their insulated world, the most curious of which were -- and are -- the bugbear tribes leaving their oppressive regime.

In short, everyone on board the ships has a reason to leave the Old World for the New, I'd simply like to know a short answer as to why. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, but it's my hope that you can expand upon it in roleplaying, especially during the journey to Port Opal.

I hope that's better, :cool:

- Rep.

PS - Oh yes, once you've completed your character, you can roll your hit points twice and choose the best one. In other words, for a 3rd level rogue, roll 6+2D6+Con twice and choose the highest one. I'm not too worried about hit point "cheating"... ;)

Reprisal,

I am working on a Dwarven Fighter, low on smarts and charisma but high on brawn. He can be the "enforcer" of the organization/group. He'll be using the dwarven urgrosh. I'll e-mail him to you soon but I'll need a bit more time to write up a suitable background.

Toric

Inez Hull

First Post
Thanks for the detail Reprisal, sounds really interesting. I've PnP roleplayed in a colonial setting before and it was great fun, but we were explorers. I like the idea of being in the new melting pot city, sounds like there'll be excitement aplenty. Kind of reminds me of that movie Far and Away, only nastier.

Reprisal

First Post
I received your character, Toric, and it seems fine to me. I would caution you by saying that it will be difficult to transport your Urgosh within the city if you don't have a permit -- or are a member of the militia or town guard. (But that would be a neat goal in and of itself... "Corruption in the Guard!")

Thanks for the compliments, Inez. Like I said, I'm ready to receive characters now that most, if not all, of the preliminary work is completed.

Just to note, this game is still open. If you're interested in playing, I'm interested in having you. So here's the breakdown so far:

Frelaras: Halfling?
Maddmic: Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer
Tonguez: Goblin or Gnome
Krug: Goblin?
Inez Hull: Elf or Halfling
Toric_Arthendain: Dwarf

My goal was to get at least two halflings, one or more goblins, and at one of the others (gnome, dwarf, elf). It seems that we're well on our way to fulfilling that goal, :D

Anyway, I look forward to reading your characters, :cool:

- Rep.

Reprisal

First Post
Krug, I received your character. All I saw was a bit of the confusion with the use of the Toughness feat. I think I explained it in the replying e-mail, but if there's any more problems just message me back.

Thanks, :cool:

- Rep.

Inez Hull

First Post
Reprisal, I've emailed my character to you.

Marec - Rog1 / Ftr 2. A rough around the edges Elf from the wrong side of Atealia.

Remove ads