• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC Mites?

Aspect of Veles

First Post
I'm just getting started with Pathfinder, and somewhere (maybe in the core rulebook?) I saw a list of suggested alternate races. One of them was Mite. Me and my players took a look at Mites, and thought that they might make for a nice, quirky one-shot. I looked around, but wasn't able to find any fan-made stats for PC Mites, so I looked in the Bestiary at the rules on PC monsters. They seemed pretty straightforward, until I realized that Mites have a CR of 1/4. :mad:

If my players wanted to play Mites, how should I stat them to not make them ridiculously underpowered? Has anyone out there done this and I'm just too technically deficient to find it?

Volaran

First Post
Keep in mind that the CR of an NPC with class levels is generally 1 lower than their total levels, so a level 1 PC is going to be less than CR1 in any case.

Mites have a number of excellent benefits (DR/cold iron, 120 ft darkvision, the scent ability, spell-like abilities, they are fey and thus not affected by a number of common low-level spells, etc). When combined with standard wealth of a PC of their level, they should do just fine.

If you still feel they are a bit weak, then treat them as 1st level PCs, even if they have their racial hit die, and their first level class hit die.

Aspect of Veles

First Post
Alright, thanks. I'm still a little new at this. I've house-ruled races for 1st edition AD&D, 4e, BRP, and T&T, but not yet for Pathfinder. Now I have a project to help fill up my wads of free time.

Evilusion

First Post
Funny you should post this. I made a mite NPC for my game and they work out fine. Of course I had had time thinking up name. Since he is a wizard I named him "The Mite-y Blue Wizard". For a 5th level he is considered very powerful among the mites.

Aspect of Veles

First Post
Funny you should post this. I made a mite NPC for my game and they work out fine. Of course I had had time thinking up name. Since he is a wizard I named him "The Mite-y Blue Wizard". For a 5th level he is considered very powerful among the mites.

This strikes me as kind of funny in and of itself. One of my players had been playing a 4E Drow Avenger for a while named Batelf. When I told him about Mites, he said, "So, if I take Batelf and cross him with Papa Smurf I get a Mite?"

A name like "The Mite-y Blue Wizard" seems kind of smurfy to me. :p

Aspect of Veles

First Post
Quick question; as a newcomer to the rules system, how unbalancing would it be to throw the racial hit die out the window and let them use class hit dice?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Quick question; as a newcomer to the rules system, how unbalancing would it be to throw the racial hit die out the window and let them use class hit dice?
That should be fine if they're all getting PC class levels. That's what a similarly balanced humanoid would do, after all.

Aspect of Veles

First Post
First Draft

Here's a first draft. Balance help would be appreciated.

Special thanks to Evilusion for the adjective (Mite-y)

Attachments

• Mite.pdf
    724.7 KB · Views: 224

Remove ads