• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC Roles (New Design and Development Article)

frankthedm

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Is anybody else thinking that "holy words and holy symbol attacks" might mean that 4E Clerics don't exactly cast spells? I would love the hell out of that.
Same here. I got the imagery of some of the Castlevania sub weapons. Also reminded me of that scene from the Bastard! Anime where the 3 clerics shot light beams from thier holy symbols at Count Diamon.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Maybe I've missed something, but why are many people assuming a second axis of martial-divine-arcane?

Personally, I'm not sure that's a very useful second axis. For example, if the rogue and ranger were both martial strikers, but one was melee and the other ranged, that would be enough to differentiate them.

PatheticWretch

First Post
Are there for sure only 8 classes in the PHB? Last I had seen, it was "fewer than 11, more than 6" or something like that.

If so, there would be room for 2 of every role (defender, leader, striker, controller), and some could have more than 2.

Li Shenron

Legend
Mercule said:
I've been wondering about this, too. I don't have any inherent aversion to trigger actions, but they should make sense. Something as simple as, "if you strike an opponent who has wounded one of your allies in the last round, your ally heals hp" would be fine. If it's "Hang on Bob, let be punch this kobold so you can heal" the whole thing will feel contrived and silly.

Exactly. Let's see how they implemented it, and let's hope we don't get one of those silly paradox with the bag of puppies: in this case, to be sacrificed in order to heal the party :D

Remathilis

Legend
Li Shenron said:
Exactly. Let's see how they implemented it, and let's hope we don't get one of those silly paradox with the bag of puppies: in this case, to be sacrificed in order to heal the party :D

I'm almost 100% certain a cleric will have the ability to freely heal up to an allies "bloodied" status (1/2 hp) without worry. His higher power healing will be more limited...

Victim

First Post
GSHamster said:
Maybe I've missed something, but why are many people assuming a second axis of martial-divine-arcane?

Personally, I'm not sure that's a very useful second axis. For example, if the rogue and ranger were both martial strikers, but one was melee and the other ranged, that would be enough to differentiate them.

Because those are the power sources explicitly mentioned in other 4e previews.

Glyfair

Explorer
PatheticWretch said:
Are there for sure only 8 classes in the PHB? Last I had seen, it was "fewer than 11, more than 6" or something like that.
Yes, Logan Bonner stated as much on these forums. He also said the only confirmed ones were the fighter, cleric, rogue and wizard (at the time, anyway). Of course, I assume that can be changed, but it sounded very unlikely.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Victim said:
Because those are the power sources explicitly mentioned in other 4e previews.
I think that you will see most of the differentiation in their talents.
Rangers will have talents that increase tracking and survival as well as racial and terrain bonuses, the skirmish ability and so on. Whereas Rogues will have advantages in flanking and sneak attack damage, and so on..

How does that sound?

Rechan

Adventurer
Why are folk so gung-ho about the Ranger being a divine striker? I thought one of the biggest gripes ABOUT the ranger is that they are divine-based in the first place.

Remove ads