• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PC Wererat Ideas

MostlyDm

Explorer
I've got a party that is soon to hit 3rd level, and there's a high likelihood one of them will soon (voluntarily) become a wererat. I have been giving it a lot of thought, so here's a long post about the subject. Context below, which could be relevant for people that want to address story-based ideas (balance via in-game repercussions, for example). If you're curious about my mechanics ideas, skip to the section titled Mechanics

Context
It's a very bleak, apocalyptic sort of swords-and-sorcery homebrew setting. Basically, you've got the occasional filthy, mostly lawless, sprawling metropolis divided by huge swathes of dangerous wilds and ruined skeletons of lost civilizations. The party is in one such metropolis, currently operating in one of the many slums and working for/around various gangs. The party is a halfling rogue (soon to be arcane trickster), a dragonborn paladin (soon to be oath of vengeance), and an NPC human cleric (Trickery domain).

One of the gangs they've found some common ground with is a group of Wererats called the Family; notably because they tend to be more focused on their particular neighborhood than with rapid expansion, and because the current Rat King has a soft-spot for the city's urchins. It's sort of an open secret that many members are wererats... they keep some anonymity as to whether any given individual is one, but the fact that they're a gang of wererats is common knowledge. The city is sufficiently chaotic that there's no major police force actively hunting them.

They just worked a robbery (of a very nasty wizard) with a few NPC allies, one in particular was a wererat of the Family. He's been impressed with them so far, particularly the halfling rogue.

He's probably going to try to convince them to join his gang. I already know that the player of the halfling rogue is definitely interested in becoming a wererat. I doubt the others will take him up on it. Long term, their interests may not always align with the interests of the Family, and there will no doubt be some opportunity for conflict and roleplay there. The Family is one of the better, more organized of the gangs (that Lawful Evil inclination helps out here) but ultimately they're still an evil gang in the slums.

The party's morality is pretty gray, as intended. (To forestall paladin tangents: I'm of the opinion that only the Devotion oath has much to do with traditional D&D paladins, and the Vengeance oath is basically compatible with any alignment.) That said, the party is actually more decent than the average person in the city, I'd say. They tend to expect to get paid for their work, and they don't balk at killing, but they've also done stuff like defend an old woman from a particularly nasty gang with no expectation of reward.

The most likely outcome here is that the halfling rogue officially joins the Family and becomes a wererat, and the paladin and cleric remain as-is, but friendly to the Family for now. The alignment shift to LE won't be a huge deal; both because I don't care much about hardline alignment enforcement and because she's always been the most morally questionable member of the party. I expect sooner or later they'll have direct friction with the wererats, but by then the Lycanthropy will have run its course.

Mechanics
So. That was a lot of context! The bottom line is that it's likely that one member of the party will become a wererat, and the others will not. This can create balance issues, since some wererat powers (I'm looking at you, immunity to nonmagic nonsilver weapon damage!) are pretty bonkers. Especially for level 3 characters!

I have some ideas for slowly building up to full wererat power over time that I think will reign in the worst excesses. Curious to see what other people think of them.

Initial Phase
Right after turning, no control to be had yet. The first full moon will confirm that the bite "took" (could take a few months in game to turn, theoretically) as the halfling will wake up exhausted and possibly down some HP after giving neighbors some stories to tell. If they're smart they will lock her up and she won't cause any mischief in her rat form.

Either way, she will start feeling twitchier after that first shift. I'll probably give her disadvantage to some ability checks when I feel like it, and generally make the early phase unpleasant as the curse takes hold.

I expect she will then spend some time training with the wererat friend they made, learning the basics of how to control the curse and force a shift. Then we enter the long-term beginner wererat phase.

Basic Wererat Phase
I'm thinking it will be the following:
-Can spend an action to shift, requires Con (Wis?) check DC 10, failure results in no shift, wasted action.
-Resistance, not immunity, to relevant damage types in hybrid/animal form. No resistance or immunity in human form.
-Maintaining hybrid or animal form requires Concentration, failure can result in loss of control rather than shifting out of rat-form. Probably based on severity of fail.
-When the shift ends, gain a level of exhaustion.
-If maintained for more than 1 hour at a time, can have mental side-effects, minor madness, more exhaustion, etc.

The way I see it, this results in something like an on-command Stoneskin that gives you exhaustion when it ends and comes with some minor extra perks like natural weapons. I'm tentatively okay with this. Shifting has visual effects and is loud, so it's not going to be useful in all situations. And heck, I could extend the action to take a minute or something, so no in-combat shifts. But more importantly, the concentration and exhaustion means that there's a real cost for using it. Since she will go Arcane Trickster, she will likely have plenty of Concentration spells in her toolkit. And exhaustion sucks, especially since Rogues love making ability checks.

If anything it may be too punitive. On the other hand, she's only level 3, and this is basically a gravy ability until I find some opportunity to give the pally a nice boon.

Some day, with enough practice, she will eventually become a master wererat (aka mostly an MM wererat) as below:

Master Phase
-Shifting takes an action and does not require a check.
-Full immunity in wererat form, and probably resistance in human form (if I am reading rules right, MM wererats get full immunity regardless of current form, right?)
-Advantage on saves to maintain Concentration
-No exhaustion, or perhaps exhaustion only after a certain number of shifts or certain total time spent shifted.

I envision that mastery abilities could be gained piecemeal, as well. Getting better bit by bit over the course of the game.

It's still going to eat concentration, I think. It's just too good not to. This does beg the question about why NPC wererats don't have to use concentration... but I don't usually lose sleep over taking a "good for me but not for thee" approach to NPC design vs. Player restrictions.

So those are all my ideas so far. What do you guys think?

AriochQ

Adventurer
I have a Halfling rogue in my group who contracted lycanthropy through a wereboar. The first full moon, he turned and the party had to subdue him. After that, he spent time seeking out another wereboar who could train him to control the transition. They had to be together for the next full moon for the training to take place. From then on, he was able to shift as desired (except for full moons). I could have strung it out more, but didn't want to spend too much party time on an individual player since it wasn't really central to any of the campaign arcs.

jgsugden

Legend
I think the written rules handle the situation fairly well. You get a 15 dexterity, nice immunities and a fwe other abilities. Then you get to decide whether to give in or fight the lycanthropy. If you give in, you become lawful evil and gain slow control over the abilities. if you fight, you retain your alignment but lose control when the moon is against you. Until you're cured, you'll be a pretty powerful little PC with those immunities...

But, the DM is free to, and absolutely should, mess with you. The DM can assume control of the PC to make them follow their animalistic desires. This might be subtle, like having the PC unconciously do things a rat might do (try to steal food - possibly just finding the food in their bags later if they manage to succeed stealthily), or it might be more overt, like rolling an attack for the PC against a weakened ally and then telling the player that their bloodlust took over and they attacked the ally.

The key here: It is a CURSE. It should not be an advantage. Whether the PC is good and is resisting the lycanthropy or is evil and gives into the lycanthropy, the DM gets the ability to assume control and make the PC act like an animal would - and animals do not do the things that adventurers do. This is how you make the PCs lament their fate.

Maybe the PC will kill innocents while under the control of the lycanthropy. Maybe they'll flee from battle. Maybe they'll panic in water. Maybe they'll steal. Regardless, the DM's job is to make the CURSE a horror story and make them suffer the CURSE until they can be cleansed of it. The Role Playing disadvantages are meant to counter the mechanical benefits.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
You know, I've long thought that the essential drives and cravings of wererats could stand to be fleshed out a bit better. The ferociously predatory nature of werewolves/tigers, for example, doesn't quite seem appropriate. If I had to outline something, I'd PROBABLY give them something like the following:

- Paranoia
- Greed / Hoarding tendencies
- Hunger, and a taste for spoiled foodstuffs.
- A general lack of regard for cleanliness and/or smells that might repulse other sentient creatures

I would probably tend to base any counterbalancing weaknesses on the above. I would certainly agree that full immunity to nonsilver physical damage is overpowered. But I think it would remain so at ANY point in a character's adventuring career. Probably best to keep things at resistance. Any counterbalancing flaws would need to be pretty significant. Some other possible ideas (not intended to all be implemented at the same time):

* Give the PC some minor flaws, for example food hoarding and/or kleptomania in addition to something more severe.
* The PC goes through periods of time where their animal nature overrides their consciousness, such as classically happens to an afflicted lycanthrope during the full moon.
* The PC needs to make a Wisdom save at the start of every combat or gain the frightened condition. If initial save is failed, another save at the end of every round until the condition is removed.
* The PC automatically frightened in combat whenever foes outnumber their allies.
* PC needs to make a Wisdom save every time treasure or food is being divided up or try to take a larger share, either by demand or deception.
* Disadvantage on charisma-based skills when interacting with any sentients who might care about cleanliness.

Unwise

Adventurer
A bit of a side note. I suggest that the gang initiation involve partaking of a 'potion', this has quasi-mystical overtones and is a rite of the wererats. The thing is, the potion is highly addictive, like 'claw your eyes out in withdrawal tremors' type addictive. You only need it once a fortnight, but that won't be a problem as after all, you will always be part of the Family, and welcome at its rites. People who break the rules are not allowed to attend their weekly rites, and as such suffer horribly until they repent enough. Same goes for anybody leaving the Family, they will suffer a most horrible withdrawal, leading to permanent damage and probably death.

As a new member, the potion includes alchemical silver, which slows down the lycanthropy, giving the person time to adjust. It also means that you are not immune to non-silvered weapons. Ostensibly, this is for your own safety during the transition. It also serves the purpose of not giving new members too much power, after all, you need to be able to discipline your new members.

<edit> Oh, and the wererat PC feels a overwhelming sense of family and togetherness, the likes of which they have never known. They are so in tune with the other wererats that it almost feels like they can read each others minds. This effect is caused by the Cranium Rat or Rat King that actually controls the Family. It is a subtle effect, but the longer you are in telepathy range of the hive mind, the stronger it becomes. The Rat is not unkind to its minions and even sees them as extensions of itself. After a while, the PCs might have trouble going up against the Family, firstly as the PC won't want to and secondly, if he does, the others will feel it and the Cranuium Rat could reach out and read his mind.

Last edited:

dmnqwk

Explorer
I think the posts above are excellent at giving you an idea of how to play the curse out correctly.

I wouldn't worry about limiting their power or going for balance, because if the PC insists on trying to abuse the situation feel free to let them. Eventually, a were-creature will succumb to their base desires, since the curse will overtake their natural intentions. Start small with the changes but ultimately think of the curse as a ticking time bomb... if the player doesn't seek to control it, or better yet remove it, then eventually I would take the PC off the player's hands and turn it into an NPC.

If you ensure the transition is not "sudden" and the warning signs are there (control small things about the player's actions, then control the PC during full moons, then move on to actively usurping the player for a time reminding them that the curse is gradually taking over). If they don't get that they will lose the character from your actions, it might cause a problem but I am sure if you set a time limit (I'd suggest by level 6, if the curse is gained before level 4, or if gained at level 5 give it an in-game time frame).

MostlyDm

Explorer
I definitely like your suggestions, Shadowdweller, there's some great stuff in there about possibly using the frightened condition. I like that. You're probably right about immunity being too good at any level, even costing concentration/causing exhaustion. Damn. :(

And Unwise, that potion idea is stellar. Thanks!

In general, though, I don't really agree with the suggestions to balance an overpowered combat mechanic with roleplaying penalties. Mainly because I already screw with my players constantly when it comes to roleplaying, and I have total buy-in from them for that. Half the reason the player is really looking forward to being a wererat is precisely because she's looking forward to the challenge of roleplaying the ratlike tendencies (hoarding, skittishness, etc), and getting herself and the group into all sorts of trouble because of it. That's the point of the game, after all.

When you get down to it, most "roleplay" penalties aren't penalties unless the player really doesn't like what you're doing and feels that you're denying him agency. Which... is a problem actually, and you probably shouldn't treat your players like that. But in this case, it's not much of an issue. The only roleplay penalty that really has teeth is taking away the character from her entirely.

Which means instead of being a sliding scale of "more and more RP issues culminating in character confiscation" what's being suggested is actually "more and more fun and interesting roleplay experiences culminating in character confiscation." Which sounds a whole lot more arbitrary and cruel (...because it is.)

So... I'm not interested in confiscating anyone's character. Heck, I've happily run characters that actively tried to kill each other (or even their own rival characters), and it was a blast. As long as the players are handling things well and having fun, I'd much rather keep letting them play and see how things turn out.

It would also kind of be a cop-out to say that being a wererat makes you descend deeper and deeper into total inhuman savagery, since I've specifically built up the Family as being a relatively civilized organization. After all, they're intelligent, lawful evil, and generally lack the savage murderous tendencies of, say, werewolves. One of their members has worked cooperatively alongside the party for mutual benefit for the last few sessions.

It may be that the general difficulty of becoming more ratlike will lead to her eventually seeking a cure. But I'd much rather be prepared for the possibility that she enjoys those challenges, and try to address the more fundamental balance concern behind resistance/immunity to nonmagic nonsilver weapons. I'm just not sure I've eyeballed the balance issue correctly.

Maybe I should have put this thread in homebrew...? Doesn't get much traffic, though. :(

Last edited:

GSHamster

Adventurer
If you're looking for pure balance concerns, perhaps simply making the player sacrifice a level might be enough. Treat the were-rat thing as if it was 1 level, so when the player hits level 3 she becomes 2 Rogue/1 Wererat. She gets most of the were-rat special abilities (maybe not that immunity), but no extra HP.

That's pretty simple and easy to handle mechanically, and it does give her some disadvantages compared to the other players.

If you want to extend this, you might conceptualize her gaining control over her were-rat form as a 5 level mini-class, allowing you to stretch out the gaining of powers as the entire party gains in level. If you do this, you should probably give hit points for each level as well.

This kind of structure was somewhat common in 3E.

Remove ads