• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PCGen 5.7.8 is out

Enforcer

Explorer
Is it still only 3.0? I downloaded the last stable version the other day but immediately deleted it after seeing the 3.5 SRD wasn't in there...

Drengy

Explorer
the 3.5 SRD has been included for a while. Go under the Settings menu to switch to 3.5 (or Spycraft or D20 Modern).

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Yep, it's there - it was there in the last stable release as well, but it is not the default setting when you boot up, you have to go to the settings menu at the top of the start-up screen and change it to 3.5.

The Auld Grump

SSquirrel

Explorer
Ok so I haven't used PCGen in AGES...like e-Tools was just coming out kinda ages. How much more stable is the program? It used to make my computer freeze up, burp and occasionally crash. This was an up to date computer with plenty of RAM too. For some reason the Java just did NOT like my computer. Heck I think I was stil using it when all of the datasets were free and everyone was morphing the system to do everything themselves to boot.

Hagen

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The more recent versions of PCGen also use the most recent version of Java, so if Java was what was causing the problem then it is likely that the problems are fixed.

It is faster than it was back in the pre-E-Tools days. It can stll bog down if you have too many characters open, or a huge number of sources. However it now loads the sources with the character if I recall correctly, so you can start off withthe sources you want for the character and leave out the others til you start on another character.

I have not had it lock up on my machine (A Win XP machine.)

Some of the sources that were removed are now creeping back in, with the notable exception of WotC sources. A number of non-WotC sources were removed as buggy rather than because of IP, and those are creeping in even now. And they have added an experimental newsgroup for PCGen on Yahoo, so if you don't mind taking a risk there are a few others you can look at.

The Auld Grump, PCGen, Dungeon Crafter, Monster, and Word Perfect 10 are what I do almost all my adventure design on.

Remove ads