• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PCs are supposed to be able to stand up to deities?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Re: Re: PCs are supposed to be able to stand up to deities?

Orco42 said:

I don't know anything that can make the save it Thor hits him. A Fort save over 400 is a bit rough for anyone.

I still don't know why they didn't make a natural 20 a auto save in the errata.

I think they just forgot it, or thought it was enough it appeared in sage advice/FAQ. Anyway, the D&DG rules state that gods don't fail their save even at a natural 1, so everyone else does, or they wouldn't write it up. And I think autofailure and autosuccess go together!

Note that the "maximize roll" rule doesn't turn every save or attack roll into a natural 20, it only makes the roll a 20. The god's still have to roll in order to score a crit! (How petty ;-) :D)

Anubis

First Post
Re: Re: PCs are supposed to be able to stand up to deities?

Orco42 said:

I don't know anything that can make the save it Thor hits him. A Fort save over 400 is a bit rough for anyone.

I still don't know why they didn't make a natural 20 a auto save in the errata.

There's no need for it. It's in the PH somewhere. For attacks and saves, 20 always succeeds and 1 always fails. Only exceptions to automatic failure or success is skills and ability checks.

Gromm

First Post
Re: Re: Re: PCs are supposed to be able to stand up to deities?

Anubis said:

There's no need for it. It's in the PH somewhere. For attacks and saves, 20 always succeeds and 1 always fails. Only exceptions to automatic failure or success is skills and ability checks.

Actually its not in the PHB anywhere, trust me I've looked along with scores of others.
It never says a 20 isnt an auto success (like with skills), but it also seems to go out of the way not to say that it is an auto save. Same goes for all the official FAQs I've searched through.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The official FAQ clearly states thet a natural one always results in a failed attack roll or saving throw and a natural 20 always results in a hit (and possibly a crit) and a succeeded saving throw

Ysgarran

G.A. Donis said:
Isn't that why they are dieties?

If that is so, why bother giving them stats in the first place? I pretty much agree that you shouldn't be able to go around killing deities in a fight, but it seems a pointless exercise to create all these stats when you will never use them.

It might be possible that the Epic Level Handbook might create some characters that could stand up to some avatars...we will just have to wait and see.
Ysgarran.

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
Ysgarran said:
If that is so, why bother giving them stats in the first place? I pretty much agree that you shouldn't be able to go around killing deities in a fight, but it seems a pointless exercise to create all these stats when you will never use them.
Well, I didn't create any stats, so wasting my time isn't an issue.;)

Lazarus Smith

First Post
Re: Re: Re: PCs are supposed to be able to stand up to deities?

KaeYoss said:

Note that the "maximize roll" rule doesn't turn every save or attack roll into a natural 20, it only makes the roll a 20. The god's still have to roll in order to score a crit! (How petty ;-) :D)

You should note that the rule only says that a god recieves a 20 on any roll. which means an automatic critical hit. Why? because he/she recieves a 20 on the roll to confirm the crit as well. :D

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
A possible reason to giving the gods statistics is so if they fight each other, you would know who wins. Also, it's kind of neat to have stats for the gods that castrate the PC's self-importance, don't you think? I mean, IMX:

beating a god = new campaign

What else is there after nuking The Greater God of Death and Mayhem? :D

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
complaint: "gods don't have stats yet! how can we kill them if they don't have stats?!"

wotc: "you aren't supposed to kill gods."

complaint: "but we want to!"

wotc: "ok. here's some stats."

complaint: "the stats are too high! how are we supposed to kill these gods?!"

wotc: :rolleyes:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: PCs are supposed to be able to stand up to deities?

Lazarus Smith said:

You should note that the rule only says that a god recieves a 20 on any roll. which means an automatic critical hit. Why? because he/she recieves a 20 on the roll to confirm the crit as well. :D

As I don't have the book yet, I can only reference the web enhancement.

Go to the Wizars site and download the D&Dg web enhancement (If you don't already have it). Go to page 7 and read the "Always Maximize Roll" paragraph. It is clearly stated "You should roll the d20 anyway and use that roll to check for a threat or a critical hit. "

Remove ads